BC Boards

WTH?? VPI Insurance

Anyone has any experience with VPI insurance on major treatments? I've had it on both of my dogs for years, never used it because I wanted to save it for bigger treatments. I submitted a claim for Jazzy's surgery and out of $4600, they reimbursed only $300. On the benefit schedules, it says the allowance for CCL surgery is $1200+. I've heard insurance companies would try to screw with you but didn't think this bad. I called them but they are having a 'meeting' and that I can only leave a message. I was wondering if it's a norm and that unless you argue with them, you would only get the smallest money back. I've read something like that about other pet insurance companies but more people recommended VPI.

Here's what it says on the benefit plan for CCL surgery:

Cruciate Rupture-Surgical

Primary Diagnosis Allowance $1207

Primary Diagnostic Testing Allowance $152

Primary Anesthesia Allowance $125

Secondary Diagnostic Allowance $845

The only things they reimbursed were

$189 for TPLO plate

$126 for testing

Tried to delete this thread but I was unable to.

I finally got through to them. Turned out it was some mixup -- or 'mixup on purpose' I don't know.

Anyway, they are going to review the claim again. Hopefully I get something back.

Tried to delete this thread but I was unable to.

I finally got through to them. Turned out it was some mixup -- or 'mixup on purpose' I don't know.

Anyway, they are going to review the claim again. Hopefully I get something back.

I almost posted- usually the problem is that people don't read the benefits correctly but that is really low pay back. I've worked with VPI at our practice- it never pays as much as people expect, but they are good about sticking to the benefit schedule (just very few people read it when they sign up!). Hopefully they will correct the mistake.

And this is why I went with PetPlan - no limits per event, just per year. No actual use yet, but the fine print looked ok.

Hope it all gets straightened out soon!

We've had really great experiences with ours. We have Petcare and it's paid for itself many times. We've always gotten our money back, it's always the amount that I expect and always very quickly. I hope they figure it all out for you.

A quick update...to be fair with VPI.

They re-processed my claim and they are giving me $1550 for her surgery. Jazzy has been with VPI for 5 years and her monthly premium is $25 so it had costed me $1500. I'd say that was a big help in addition to giving me a peace of mind. :rolleyes:

A quick update...to be fair with VPI.

They re-processed my claim and they are giving me $1550 for her surgery. Jazzy has been with VPI for 5 years and her monthly premium is $25 so it had costed me $1500. I'd say that was a big help in addition to giving me a peace of mind. :D

Glad to hear it!

I was going to say, before I read the rest of the thread, that I have found "mixups" to be the norm with ALL REIMBURSEMENT-BASED insurance companies, be it home, health, pet, WHATEVER. If they can delay a claim by "misplacing" it, "misprocessing" it, or whatever, they will do so.

Interesting to know about PetCare... I will keep that in mind...

But I bet that fine print says something about not covering behaviorist bills for dogs with a pre-existing condition of fear aggression!

:rolleyes: