BC Boards

Weight loss

Well.... I have recently come into possession of a rescue dog. To make a long story short, I found my first Border Collie, "Marley" (whom I rescued from the shelter several years back and then ended up placing in a new home two years ago) advertised for adoption on Craigslist. His former owner hadn't made any effort to contact me which made me sad, but she did agree to let me take him back. Soooo...... she dropped him off tonight. And he is FAT!!!

Aside from green beans and exercise, any other tips for helping him to slim down?

Thanks!

Well.... I have recently come into possession of a rescue dog. To make a long story short, I found my first Border Collie, "Marley" (whom I rescued from the shelter several years back and then ended up placing in a new home two years ago) advertised for adoption on Craigslist. His former owner hadn't made any effort to contact me which made me sad, but she did agree to let me take him back. Soooo...... she dropped him off tonight. And he is FAT!!!

Aside from green beans and exercise, any other tips for helping him to slim down?

Thanks!

Good food will work wonders. You will not believe how fast pure bloat will come off. We have some dogs who lose 10 in the first few weeks. He will also most likely increase his activity with your dogs. I'm sure he will look great in no time

Just wanted to say good luck! It can be a real pain to get a fat dog to lose weight. Have to up their exercise sloooowly so they don't hurt themselves.

We have always struggled with my older boy's weight. I swear he gains 5+ pounds every time we visit my parents for a weekend (my dad just doesn't get that when I put their Golden's food out of reach during the day he isn't going to starve, so it ends up back on the floor :rolleyes:).

Got the same problem with Bliss, every time she visits my Mom, she must put on 5 pounds. I'm trying to have Mom keep her now & again. She enjoys Bliss' company. I learned how to ride a bike again- yippppie. That helps. She only eats 1/2 cup 2X a day, don't know what more I can do. Good luck with it. If you find a magic cure- let us know.

Thanks!

I had a foster who weighed 85 pounds when we took him in and, 6 months later, when he was adopted, he was down to 55 pounds.

Honestly, I didn't feed him any differently from how I fed my own dogs. He got the same kibble that they did, and he got the same portion that they got. He even got treats when they got them.

He got a lot of exercise playing ball and running around with Dean.

I found that it just took being patient as he ate the appropriate amount of food each day. The weight didn't come off quickly, but it did come off over the months.

I got a dog in like that one time. I just put her on good food and then took her up to a place where she could run. I let her run and run - and we went pretty often. And Her weight came down really fast.

She had just been fed too much and hadn't had any exercise.

I had one foster that, before he came to me, had spent the previous year living in an outside kennel with one of those automatic self-feeding machines and no play time. When he arrived he couldn't even climb up on the couch! I just put him on my own dogs normal routine of 1.5 cups of kibble twice a day with plenty of walks and playtime and he was close to a healthy weight when I adopted him out three months later. I still remember the first time I took him to the park and he would just look mournfully at the other dogs playing because he just couldn't keep up. Within a few weeks time he was joining in the fun and running up and down the park (although he still couldn't quite keep up with my lean & mean Daisy - but then, few dogs can!).

Annie is on 1 cup of kibble and 1/4 can of moist, mixed with a bit of watered-down low-sodium beef or chicken broth, twice per day. (There is also the occasional treat.) Her typical weight is 35 pounds, and she does not vary from this level by more than 2 pounds either way (depending on the time of year). The key is exercise; Annie gets plenty of it, so that most of her weight is muscle. Our dogs have always had their diets specified by the vet (both brands and quantity), and their weights and health monitored regularly, so we are comfortable that we have been on the right regimen for each dog (no two dogs ever had the same exact diet).