BC Boards

Need advice or peace of mind

I found a small growth under Jazzy's chin. I took her to the vet but he thinks it's nothing serious. He says most of those masses are benign. I asked him if he could take some fluid out and send it to the lab. He said that her mass is harder and doesn't contain enough fluid to do that. The only thing they could do is to surgically remove it and then send the whole thing to the lab for testing. I wanted to do that but he suggested that we give her a little break considering she had to go through so many treatments and anesthesias in the last 9 months. My friend's dog recently had to go through chemo because of a tiny growth in her leg. My father-in-law is going through that right now just from a tiny mole on his back. I know I'm being paranoid... but I decided not to believe everything the medical professionals say ever since they misdiagnosed her injury last year. I was hoping that some of you seen growth like hers and share the experience with me. This vet told me to wait for a month or two and if it grows bigger or starts to irritate her, then have it removed. I really want it to be nothing serious. She doesn't need any more stress right now...or me :rolleyes:

The little white dots on the growth are her hair by the way. I cut her hair around it so that I could see it better.

mass-small.jpg

This looks a LOT like the small spot Maggie has on her wrist that my vet also said is benign. Like you, I worry about anything out of place with my pets, but decided to trust the vet on this one. I do periodically check if for changes and it's been the same for the last year or so, so I'm feeling ok about it. It's hard, about the same size as Jazzy's, but gray, likely because Maggie's skin is heavily pigmented there. It has a kind of calloused feel.

(I did happen to get a second opinion on it a few months back because I took Maggie to work for something else and happened to ask our shelter vet about it then; she concurred with our regular vet.)

Thanks for the replies. Silly me, I didn't think of talking to another vet! I did get the second opinion today and he thinks it's benign cyst as well. But I decided to have it removed anyway.

The vet said he'd have to cut about 1cm extra around it. If it were to get bigger, she might not have enough tissue to remove it safely. I'm going wait until she gets her 8 week post-TPLO xrays (3 more weeks!) and confirm her tibia is attached before putting her in their hands.

Bailey had one of those little growths on his chest above his leg. It was about the same size. We went to the vet and I had the same concerns and asked the same questions that you did. My vet also thought that I should wait because he thought it would most likely go away. It went away on its own after about two months. That was about 6 months ago and it hasn't come back.

I've seen those in the past and they have never been a problem. The vet has always said watch for growths to change color, size and density. Also check for sensitivity.

I have a motto: "Sometimes, a little paranoia is a healthy thing." I would go with the second opinion option. But then again, that's just me; there are others on this board who are far more BC-savvy than I am, so I will defer to their advice.