BC Boards

Cattle Dog National Finals

Looks like our Texan's Jimmy and Red are sitting pretty good after two rounds. When do they run the Nursery?

I think they run both rounds of Nursery tomorrow.

Bob Johnson called me this morning after his run with Paws, he was pretty pleased. Gave me a little update, he mentioned that there was a pretty hard draw to the exhaust yesterday and windy in the morning. Fingers crossed that he draws well this evening and gets Tip into the final, it's strange to only have one Iowa handler there. Also, watching Ruby in the Nursery class, I have her littermate here days from welping.

Deb

Well, of course I'm pulling for the Virginia-North Carolina contingent of Tom Forrester, Richard Rogers, and Dwight Parker! And Norma Stewart, too (even though she's from Georgia)! I'm especially rooting for Tom and Pete since Pete is Twist's half brother and Lark's grandaddy.

And the board's Anna Guthrie (stockdogranch) seems to be doing well, sitting in 7th with Riddle (and Tikkle still to run)--I'll pull for her too. And I really like Bill Reed's Ann, though I've seen her only on sheep. She's a nursery dog and one to watch I think. And we must't forget Lana Rowley, who's sitting on top right now. Of course all they need do today is get into the top 20--it's all a clean slate come Saturday.

A friend of mine talked to Dwight last night, and he said most of the cattle were pretty even but that there had been a few rank groups.

Both rounds of nursery will be run tomorrow.

The field (of contestants) is small this year, and I hope that doesn't bode ill for the cattle finals program.

J.

The field (of contestants) is small this year, and I hope that doesn't bode ill for the cattle finals program

Arn't they about 15 off of last years Open entries? With the state of the economy one would hope that a loss of 15 would not be considered real bad. Just thinking of some of the people that come to my mind that are usually there, but not this year: Jeff Mundorf with 2 - 3, Pete Carmichael with 2 - 3, Curtis Dukes with 2, Larry Painter with 2, a handful of handlers can make the difference of matching the previous years entries, falling short or shooting beyond.

Deb

Well, of course I'm pulling for the Virginia-North Carolina contingent of Tom Forrester, Richard Rogers, and Dwight Parker! And Norma Stewart, too (even though she's from Georgia)! I'm especially rooting for Tom and Pete since Pete is Twist's half brother and Lark's grandaddy.

And the board's Anna Guthrie (stockdogranch) seems to be doing well, sitting in 7th with Riddle (and Tikkle still to run)--I'll pull for her too. And I really like Bill Reed's Ann, though I've seen her only on sheep. She's a nursery dog and one to watch I think. And we must't forget Lana Rowley, who's sitting on top right now.

Julie,

So you're pretty much rooting for everybody? :rolleyes:

Hey Megan,

Yeah, I like all those folks, but in truth I'm rooting for Tom and Pete.

Here's the top 20 for the double lift:

Lana Rowley and Kell

Jimmy Walker and Bill

Jimmy Walker and Mitch

Tom Forrester and Pete

Red Oliver and Blaze

Bob Johnson and Paws

Bill Reed and Lad

Norma Stewart and Jill

Anna Guthrie and Riddle

Bob Wagner and Dori

Tony Stewart and Lad?

Craig Rogers and Jake

Juan Reyes and Red

Bill Reed and Ann

Craig Rogers and Luke

Bob Johnson and Tip

Richard Rogers and Molly

Norma Stewart and Lena

Wendy Schmaltz and Gin

Tim Gifford and Ching

Debbie,

I think they will take 60 (65?) for the finals. I'm sure that the economy is the reason, and of course there were plenty of eastern handlers who didn't go which cut the numbers as well, but I imagine the finals need to pay for themselves or closeto it, so there must be a break even point.

J.

Lana has been reporting in. Sounds like the cattle are nice. The wind has been a bit of an issue for some runs. Hopefully it won't be windy for the finals tomorrow!

As to the small numbers, it is mostly people from that part of the country with a handful who have traveled. Although a great site and a hospitable bunch, I think moving it around the country will bring the numbers back up. Lana and Marty have put in a bid for northern California. It would be great to see it back out here as it hasn't been in the west in almost a decade. There are those who think that the finals (both cattle and sheep) should stay in one place but I am a firm believer that rotating it around the country is better for the dogs and better for the sport.

Lana has been reporting in. Sounds like the cattle are nice. The wind has been a bit of an issue for some runs. Hopefully it won't be windy for the finals tomorrow!

As to the small numbers, it is mostly people from that part of the country with a handful who have traveled. Although a great site and a hospitable bunch, I think moving it around the country will bring the numbers back up. Lana and Marty have put in a bid for northern California. It would be great to see it back out here as it hasn't been in the west in almost a decade. There are those who think that the finals (both cattle and sheep) should stay in one place but I am a firm believer that rotating it around the country is better for the dogs and better for the sport.

Go Lana and Kell. Good team. They work very well together........Bob

Megan,

Unless someone has an entry packet, we won't be able to tell you the exact course. In principle, it is set up basically like a sheep course, with OLF, drive, crossdrive, and pen. There's also usually a Y-chute before the pen. Scoring is different in that other than the OL, which is judged, the rest is based on points for obstacles made, usually 5 points per head (15 per obstacle if all head make it through). From what I gather from the 2009 rules listed on the website, the qualifying runs have a handler's "box," which would be an area outlined in the handler's meeting (and maybe even marked) within which the handler is allowed to move during parts of the course (usually this area allows the handler to move around behind the handler's post and to the left and right, without crossing a line to the front, so the handler could, say, help the dog make the turn at the post). As with sheep, the obstacles are usually make or miss, but rather than get points off for missing an obstacle, the team gains points for each head that goes through an obstacle. And of course lines aren't judged, but obviously if your cattle are all over the place, then you're eating up time, so straight lines between obstacles are still beneficial. There are rules regarding head that turn back through an obstacle (like the chute), etc., and when points will be awarded or not.

Time comes into play as a tiebreaker if two or more teams end up with the same number of points.

That's just a very general description, but the best I can do having not seen the actual course for this particular finals.

ETA: Qualifying trials can be set up differently, and that's probably why you're thinking the trials are so different from sheep trials. Whereas sheep trials have a pretty standardized course, cattle trials can be quite variable, but once you get to the finals, the course tends to be very similar to the sheep finals course (with the addition of a Y chute and some minor changes like the handler's box).

J.

Anna Guthrie and Riddle, sponsored by folks here, took fifth in the Open Final. Anna and Tikkle (sponsored by Nicole Rhodes and Stockdog Journal) did not do quite so well in the Nursery Final but had nice runs in the preliminaries. Lana Rowley and Kell were tops in the Open Preliminaries but didn't have a good run in the Open Final - or maybe she just wanted to let someone else have a shot at winning this year.

Congrats to all who competed!

A quick (belated) thanks for the input on the course! And I'll be looking forward to persuing the pics when they're up. (Their links don't seem to be working right now.)

ETA: I think I'll be perusing the pics, not "persuing" them, lol. (Although I may chase them down eventually, heheheh.)