BC Boards

Eating poo

My doggie household has suddenly developed a nasty poo eating habit. I bought some meat tenderizer to add to their food to try to stop it but I'm not sure how much to add. 1 teaspoon? The dogs are 29 lbs, 30 lbs and 47 lbs.

Thanks,

Olivia

Hmm...we used Tabasco sauce. A whole bottle on a pile of poop. Then we sat back and watched, sure that we had solved the problem. He went up and smelled it, jumped back. YES! Success. NO! He went back and ate it anyway, with no ill effects. He did eventually outgrow it. Seemed like when we stopped making a big deal out of it, he stopped eating it. Could have been coincidence. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, it really isn't a problem--just disgusting to us. I take it this hasn't always been an issue. Did you just add one of these dogs to your household? Could they have picked up that habit from him/her?

Good luck! And watch those kisses! :D

Considering I have three dogs and not just one pile of poo and a large backyard the tobasco method wouldn't really work and I don't think it would be a good fix as they would just learn to avoid the poo that smells like tobasco.

This has been going on with my 9 year old for quite a while and it never really bothered me, I just avoided her kisses after I knew she had had access to poo. Now it's the 23 month old and she is seeking it out and pouncing on it and inhaling it. The older girl always just picked at it.

I'm sure the younger is learning it from the older so I need a method that will affect all their poo. I know that powders like Forbid and such exist but they are expensive and not practical for 3 dogs.

I know people on here have used this method, I just need to know the dosage.

Thanks,

Olivia

Again, thank you but one of the reasons for a large backyard is not having to leash walk three dogs and clean up constantly. I have no desire and no time to walk around the whole yard every day looking for poo. When the dogs are out for bathroom duties I am getting ready for work, fixing their breakfast, etc; not watching exactly where they 'go'.

Again... I was just wondering about the amount of meat tenderizer to give, not alternative ways to deal with the problem.

Olivia

My daughter used pineapple juice. About a ts per bowl of food. It worked for a while but she got lazy and quit using it.

I dont know the dosage of meat ten. Without getting the dose, I'd probably just sprinkle it on and increase the amount till it was working.

I'll be interested in hearing the right amount just incase I need it.

We have a tiny front yard but 40 acres everywhere else. You'd think the darn dogs could avoid the front yard, but since moving I guess they want to make sure I see they're going. I'm cleaning up daily, not for eating but for shoes!

I don't remember having to pick up poo for years, I sure hope they learn to go somewhere else quick!

I've used fresh pineapple and it works great. Some people I've talked to say that they have had to use it forever, but it worked for us after about 3-4 solid weeks and then weaning it off. When we weaned out the pineapple, I would stand out with them, both Mama Dog and Renoir have had this issue, when they were going potty so I could give a verbal cue to leave it, but didn't go pick up the poo immediately. With 4 dogs on 5 acres, or at my parents 10 acre farm, it makes it pretty difficult to clean up the whole yard immediately.

Olivia, regrets that I don't know about the tenderizer amount - thankfully, have never had that problem!

But re picking up dog poo....I do enjoy the luxury of being retired now, but had three big dogs when I was working, and a medium-sized yard. I admit that I didn't do pick-up every single day, but tried. As disgusting a task as it is (well, sorta), seeing the poo is a VERY good way to know about the health of our dogs. Granted, with multiple dogs, sometimes you can't tell - but sometimes you can. I'd just recommend doing it as often as possible. Besides, the more frequently you pick it up, the more likely they are to use the same area. And you might have to "deal" with the poo eating problem a bit less....

Good luck!

diane

Mentioned in a diff thread, I have a mine field by our junky truck...we pick it up every few days or weekends and toss it into the horse manure pile. All 3 dogs that visit the stable go there. I agree picking is natsy, but if they gravitate to one area ... eases the search

A fine tong plastic pitchfork works good on any poo.

I'd be curious to learn about the additives....we have a poo eater that comes here....his owner would love to know!

The pill Deter worked for me before but since it was reoccuring what worked in our case is figuring out WHY the poo was so tasty b.c he only had corophagia (poo eating) when his stomach wasn't quite right and it was just his not our other dogs... (snob) Turns out the food I was giving him while being high end was too high in protien and he wasn't digesting properly which in turn, made his poo, probably taste like his food. It will also trigger if eats wheat or something else starts a pattern of malabsorption.

It's just gross when this occurs so I did a lot googling. None of the natural alternatives (like pineapple, hot sauce etc) helped in our case. I read adding acidophilus (sp?) to help digestion which I did as well. (I was trying everything at the same time) Also adding Prozyme was suggested, a digestive enzyme but again, the solution was changing the food itself. I also add a tablespoonish dollop of low fat yogurt to breakfast every morning. Adding fiber to his diet helped and changing from high protien food. Also when he turns around to check it out, I tell him to 'leave it' and throw the frisbee or whatever else.

The pill Deter worked for me before but since it was reoccuring what worked in our case is figuring out WHY the poo was so tasty b.c he only had corophagia (poo eating) when his stomach wasn't quite right and it was just his not our other dogs... (snob) Turns out the food I was giving him while being high end was too high in protien and he wasn't digesting properly which in turn, made his poo, probably taste like his food. It will also trigger if eats wheat or something else starts a pattern of malabsorption.

It's just gross when this occurs so I did a lot googling. None of the natural alternatives (like pineapple, hot sauce etc) helped in our case. I read adding acidophilus (sp?) to help digestion which I did as well. (I was trying everything at the same time) Also adding Prozyme was suggested, a digestive enzyme but again, the solution was changing the food itself. I also add a tablespoonish dollop of low fat yogurt to breakfast every morning. Adding fiber to his diet helped and changing from high protien food. Also when he turns around to check it out, I tell him to 'leave it' and throw the frisbee or whatever else.

That really sounds like a great analysis...I read cat poo is less digested and high protein and that is why dog eat it. "light bulb goes on" of course! Thanks for the input! I'll pass it on! Sue

I agree with my vet, who, when I asked about adding things to diet to make poo taste nasty, replied:

"It's sh!t! How much worse do you think you can make it taste?!"

When having this discussion with my brother, this is what he said, how do you know it makes it taste bad? What did it taste like before? :rolleyes:

Are we talking about dogs eating dog poo or sheep poo?

My wolfdog layla was chewing on a little piece of her own poo the other day, and neither my wife nor I realized what it was until we had both squished it around in our hands for a minute. It was bad.

My doggie household has suddenly developed a nasty poo eating habit. I bought some meat tenderizer to add to their food to try to stop it but I'm not sure how much to add. 1 teaspoon? The dogs are 29 lbs, 30 lbs and 47 lbs.

Thanks,

Olivia

Hi Olivia:

Yes, it is 1 teaspoon/day added to the food. I used this method a long time ago: it appeared to work on one dog, but did not work at all with another. As I remember, the dogs didn't really like the taste going down the first time either, so I had to mix it with wet food very well. I am sure that you know that meat tenderizer is high in sodium, so use only as needed.

That being said, what others have mentioned I have found true, as well: I also have had better luck with pineapple. However, to each his own; and best of luck!