BC Boards

Taking on an older, partially trained dog dilema

Hi ,

Thanks for the great web site.

I have a dilemma. I think that can only be answered by experience that I haven’t got. We were set on getting a puppy from a well know and respected breeder. Then out of the blue we had an offer of a 3 year old partially trained dog that would short circuit me a one year training. He takes a whistle , has a good stop but he cant drive yet . His main fault is he keeps looking back at his trainer rather than focusing on the sheep. My dilemma is this, the little doggy just loves his trainer and has a total bond with him. I tried to see if he would work for me, but he wouldn’t (not surprising I guess as I had only known him for 20 minutes although other dogs have in a similar situation), and when I took him for a walk, every 20 yds he kept stopping and looking back for his owner who was well out of eye contact , and when I finally let him off the lead he turned and ran back to his master” :D . My dilemma is we already have a great little bitch called Tam, I cant have three dogs however if I buy this dog rather than the puppy, and I do like him, is there a risk the dog would pine to much be miserable and find it really difficult to become faithful and bond with me ? I guess that depends a good bit on me. Or would it be better to get the puppy who doesn’t know any different ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Guest carol campion
Hi ,

Thanks for the great web site.

I have a dilemma. I think that can only be answered by experience that I haven’t got. We were set on getting a puppy from a well know and respected breeder. Then out of the blue we had an offer of a 3 year old partially trained dog that would short circuit me a one year training. He takes a whistle , has a good stop but he cant drive yet . His main fault is he keeps looking back at his trainer rather than focusing on the sheep. My dilemma is this, the little doggy just loves his trainer and has a total bond with him. I tried to see if he would work for me, but he wouldn’t (not surprising I guess as I had only known him for 20 minutes although other dogs have in a similar situation), and when I took him for a walk, every 20 yds he kept stopping and looking back for his owner who was well out of eye contact , and when I finally let him off the lead he turned and ran back to his master” :D . My dilemma is we already have a great little bitch called Tam, I cant have three dogs however if I buy this dog rather than the puppy, and I do like him, is there a risk the dog would pine to much be miserable and find it really difficult to become faithful and bond with me ? I guess that depends a good bit on me. Or would it be better to get the puppy who doesn’t know any different ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

There is always a risk when buying an older dog or trained dog that it might be unhappy in its new home. That being said, I have had many dogs I have bought from here in the states and overseas and have never had one not go to work for me right away. I do have a friend though, who imported a dog from Scotland and the entire ordeal was so stressful, she has never really worked for her.

I think the greater problem here is buying a dog that has a seeming confidence problem. YOu are already seeing the problem with its owner. At age 3, it should be driving. It could be a change of hands will do the dog some good, but you never know and I would worry about some level of poor training gone into this dog to create a lack of confidence or else just a insecure dog in itself.

A plus when buying a started dog—you know what it can/cannot do on stock. A plus for buying a puppy—it hasn't had a chance to get screwed up by anyone—yet! A clean slate. On the other hand, you don't know how it will turn out.

In buying a trained/started dog, I would by one that doesn't already have an obvious flaw.

So Mike, where are you from? Are you English or in England?

Carol

Hi Carol, Thanks for getting back so quick. Yes I am from England, Norwich in Norfolk on the east coast. Post code NR5 0JB if you Google earth it.

We have a couple of really good trainers locally,both national runnners. I suppose I cant give their names on the forum. We recently did have a second dog, the owner said had fear aggression. We were going to take him on a 2 week trial and see if I could sort him out. We had him for 6 days, took him to a trial and other places where he met 100 dogs ++. He fitted in perfectly and had a great relationship with out little bitch Tam another BC. The owner when she saw how well we did, realize it wasn’t fair aggression at all and wanted him back. I didn’t realize how attached to a dog I could become in four days ! So there’s the caution I have to get the right dog. But it did prove the idea would work , to my wife, who’s name is, yes you guessed it, Carol too.(great name :rolleyes:) Any way the potential puppy is extremely well-bred from a national open dog (sire) and a bitch who’s dad was also a champ. With the older dog I have a problem breaking up a great relationship he has with his trainer, and maybe with the faults he has perhaps its best to pass such a friendly dog by :D . So what I think Ill do is go for the puppy and whilst he is settling in continue with Tam, She has some faults as well but maybe Ill start another thread as I don’t think its been covered yet and could be of real interest and debate. If you ever get over this way drop us a line and come and see us.

Many Thanks.

There is always a risk when buying an older dog or trained dog that it might be unhappy in its new home. That being said, I have had many dogs I have bought from here in the states and overseas and have never had one not go to work for me right away. I do have a friend though, who imported a dog from Scotland and the entire ordeal was so stressful, she has never really worked for her.

I think the greater problem here is buying a dog that has a seeming confidence problem. YOu are already seeing the problem with its owner. At age 3, it should be driving. It could be a change of hands will do the dog some good, but you never know and I would worry about some level of poor training gone into this dog to create a lack of confidence or else just a insecure dog in itself.

A plus when buying a started dog—you know what it can/cannot do on stock. A plus for buying a puppy—it hasn't had a chance to get screwed up by anyone—yet! A clean slate. On the other hand, you don't know how it will turn out.

In buying a trained/started dog, I would by one that doesn't already have an obvious flaw.

So Mike, where are you from? Are you English or in England?

Carol