BC Boards

Laser Pointers Resources

Do any of you know of a link to an article that would discuss the potential effects of chasing a laser pointer on a dog who is prone to obsession?

I need something written by a vet or behaviorist.

Just for the record - I know this is a no-no and I don't do it. I need this for a friend.

If any of you could point me in the direction of something, that would be great. A link to something online would be best, but other references are welcome, too.

I googled, but only came up with message forum posts and so forth. I really need something written by a vet or behaviorist if possible.

I'll tell ya all ya need to know about chasing light beams including reflections, flashlight and lasers.

It is not a good thing for Border Collies to do period. It can make an already OCD dog a maniac despite your best efforts to curb it. Better is to cultivate an interest in flies or bubbles.

I speak from experience.

I'll tell ya all ya need to know about chasing light beams including reflections, flashlight and lasers.

It is not a good thing for Border Collies to do period. It can make an already OCD dog a maniac despite your best efforts to curb it. Better is to cultivate an interest in flies or bubbles.

I speak from experience.

In this case, personal experience is not going to convince.

I'm going to need something published by a vet or behaviorist if there is to be any hope of this being taken seriously.

I had to move in order to keep this in control. It's "funny" to your friends, but not a trait you want to bring out- now we are working on shadows. Not easy when friends think it's "cute".

Just for the record, nobody is doing this to my dogs. I would not allow this in my home. But I'm in a position where I can do that. (I'm not saying that you were saying that I was allowing it - I just want to be clear!!)

It's definitely rotten when someone thinks that something harmful is cute or funny - especially if one has little control over that person. :rolleyes:

Try this: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...;C=0&A=2180

Or this: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...;C=0&A=1333

Both of those articles touch on the problems laser pointers cause, the first one has a little more on the topic.

I've also done a search on a few journal databases that search many of the top veterinary journals and have come up with nothing in the way of an actual scientific journal article, but I'm sure it won't be too long until someone publishes research on this.

I've also done a search on a few journal databases that search many of the top veterinary journals and have come up with nothing in the way of an actual scientific journal article, but I'm sure it won't be too long until someone publishes research on this.

Thanks for looking! I appreciate it.

You might want to contact the Animal Behavior Clinic at Purdue University - I believe one of the main vets at the clinic specializes in compulsive disorders so they might have more resources.

In this case, personal experience is not going to convince.

I'm going to need something published by a vet or behaviorist if there is to be any hope of this being taken seriously.

Out of curiosity why do you need something published?

I had a dog with OCD behavior, in fact he was a Heart Dog which made the problem worse. Despite the fact he worked everyday and was well behaved he had a few OCD problems and we were never able to correct them. That poor puppy spent years liking a piece of wood framing a door eventually licking it down and po9lishing it. The same thing with a patch of concrete in the backyard. I tried everything from experts to pills and nothing worked. We stopped using flashlights around him and th eone time he saw a laser pointer he went nuts chasing it. OCD behavior is more than not acceptable it's bad for the dog. I wish there was some way I could help Bas with that one.

All BCs IMO are somewhat OCD and we have to watch it so that it doesn't get out of hand.

Out of curiosity why do you need something published?

Because the person who is using the laser pointer is simply not convinced that it is bad for the dog, can cause OCD, etc. by those who say what you have said.

It's kind of like my husband who won't believe, no matter what I tell him, that leaving bottles of medication in reach of the dogs could end up deadly for one of our dogs someday. It doesn't matter how many people on the internet share their experiences with such tragedies that have actually happened. In his mind, it will never happen. (God help him if it ever does someday if I'm not home to put the stuff up).

Some people just won't listen and that is the situation with the laser.

I honestly doubt that even published materials are going to help in this case, but I want to try to help out a friend, so if such a thing exists, I'd like to provide links, copies, etc. Some people will believe anything that a vet or behavior professional says (and sometimes that's not a good thing, but in this case it would be!!), so it's worth a shot.

Whole Dog Journal has had at least 2 articles in the last few years by trainers on this, with veterinary sources cited. You could do a search at their website for back articles.

Thank you!!!! I will definitely do that!!