BC Boards

Maltese Cross

jdarling

One of the handlers around here, Don Couch, puts on a couple of trial a year and, more often than not, will throw in the Maltese Cross. I bugged him for a couple of years to do a clinic for us featuring the cross, and we finally had the clinic yesterday. We all learned a ton. Photos are posted HERE. We focused on the very small subtle interactions between you and the sheep that make a world of difference. We worked on mainly just getting the sheep into the very narrow opening of the cross, but I think we should do another clinic and work on managing the rest of it. For instance, once you get a few in the mouth of one end, and you're trying to get the rest of them in, the first few are doing their own thing, i.e. going straight through ... or making a left ... or whatever, the whole time you're trying to remember to stay in your own quadrant. Getting them in the mouth is only the first hurdle.

Do you see many Maltese crosses in your area?

We see it quite a bit. It's often thrown in at the ranch level (open course no shed). I see it as preparing for the shed - just like the shed, your lift will make or break you, as well as how you treat your sheep around the course.

It's a favorite at cattle trials, but slightly different from the way it's done at sheep trials. Usually, you have to get them in a specified entrance, say, from the east, then make them turn say north to exit. Often, that specified exit is intentionally much narrower than the other openings. Normally, if they go straight through without making the turn, you get minimal points (this is time and points, not judged), so, maybe one point per head; maybe two points per head that make a turn, but the wrong turn; and maximum points, usually 5 per head, for making the turn out the "correct" exit. Very tricky, especially with fresh cattle, first, to get them lined up to go into the opening, then, as they string out, to get them to make the appropriate turn. Very fun!! This and variations of it--different types of chutes with various tricky openings along the way that you need to avoid in order to get maximum points, are pretty common at many cattle trials. You have to really read stock to get them done,

A

The pics were great. TOld the story perfectly.

Only wish I could have heard what was said. I sure could use that type clinic.

Your pictures are really getting good. I love the differnt focus ones. To cool.

The VA State Fair SDT has had a Maltese Cross many times - it seems to be a favorite when Tom Lacy is judging. Other than that (thank goodness!) I haven't run into it elsewhere but my circle of experience is very small.

Thanks for the photos!

We have had just a few maltese crosses in our area. They are kinda fun although the few times I got to do one I spent more time worring about if I was in the right quadrant.

Samantha