BC Boards

Length of Exercise

I think spending 5 hrs DAILY at the dog park or exercising them 20 miles/day is totally nuts. You can do it once in a blue moon, for fun, or if you just have THAT much time on your hands. I, for one, don't.

Oh I agree, and I agree it's part of the hype. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if it's true or if they're exaggerating a bit. I don't know anyone with the time to do that. I also think you can create a monster if you just constantly exercise a dog. I've heard people say they just have to do that amount of exercise to keep the dog from eating the house. Dogs need to learn how to settle down as well. At least mine do.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really don't do anything spectacular either. It's pretty obvious a dog will expect as much as you give them. My boyfriend and I are pretty, um, lazy people. But Daisy doesn't mind at all, as long as she's with us. She goes out in the morning for a bathroom break, gets about 20 mins of "fun time" with bf when I take the foster dog to work with me. She sleeps all day with him and Kya (the foster) gets 4 short 10 min walks during the day - right now her nickname is chunkybutt if you get my drift. When my bf wakes up they wrestle and wreck the bed then he takes her for a car ride to get his pro-line ticket. I come home, everyone eats then we go for a 45 min walk. Sometimes before bf goes to work he'll wrestle with Daisy again, she likes to run up and down the hall (it's about 70' from living room straight down to the bedroom) and she uses my bed as a breaking pad. Once he's gone both dogs get a 15-30 minute training session. Daisy practices tricks, recall, stays, downs etc. Kya is practicing sit, name recognition and being happy in a kennel. Weekends aren't much different, longer walks in the morning, off leash park once the mud is all gone and they go every where we go, weather permitting. Kya is also going to daycare once a week and once I get into another class for Daisy, they'll both come with me.

I had a dog who needed freakish amounts of both physical and mental exercise, or she would go off her rocker. I lived on a FARM and couldn't keep her happy! I ended up giving her to a friend who moved migrant birds off airport runways and she was placed on an AF base. She works hours every day runing literally miles, and still comes back raring to play frisbee with her handler. Oh, did I mention she started this job as a five year old and is now eleven?

Trim's a freak though. I've had many other dogs and some even closely related to her, and none approach her need for work. Most dogs I've known adapt to the routine they fall into - the main thing is that there IS a routine they can use to build expectations and confidence in their place in life. That's the number one thing for most Border Collies.

Just like us humans, every dog is different, some might be happy with little excercise, some might not be.

Sam came from a farm litter, and both his parents were working dogs on a sheep/cattle farm.

His mum and dad were freakishly hyperactive, i've never seen dogs with so much energy.

Sams mum tried her hardest to stop my car driving out of the farm yard, the farm is in North Wales, and as such they have vast amounts of very steep hills. As i was driving out of the yard, Sams mum ran alongside my car barking, and then literally ran straight up this really steep and high hill to my right, she went out of sight in the end, and then came running down at an angle further down the road/hill right in front of my car, and went down on her front legs with the rear raised and barking at me, i had to stop the car in the end otherwise i would have ran her over.

The farmer was in his Landrover in the front with Sams dad in the back, and he obviously didn't know what was happening as he was further down the road, he was taking me back to a village where he met me otherwise i would have never found my way back!

Sam is equally as hyper active, even after loads of excercise, however he now knows 'that'l do' and settles down a little when you tell him.

Sam enjoys the comfort of the leather coach and the bed :rolleyes: but unfortunately he hasn't quite got the idea of manners yet when he gets up. For example, you will be laying in bed, the top of our bed including mattress must be a good nealy 1 mtre in height, and then out of nowhere Sam comes flying through the air from such a huge height right down onto your body. :D

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if it's true or if they're exaggerating a bit. I don't know anyone with the time to do that. I also think you can create a monster if you just constantly exercise a dog.

I agree that people can inadvertently create an exercise addict that will drive them up the wall without daily exercise. Its a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy. Like Rebecca says, there are some dogs out there that truly do seem to need hours of exercise but I think most of the 5 hours/20 miles a day stories are either exaggeration or the person's need, not the dog's.

Like Rebecca says, there are some dogs out there that truly do seem to need hours of exercise but I think most of the 5 hours/20 miles a day stories are either exaggeration or the person's need, not the dog's

Yup! My two are very active and athletic. They also have excellent down time behavior. They almost seem to be as happy snoozing in the back of my car driving around town as they are to go chase a ball. Right now they get an average of a half an hour of active exercise a day - a couple days a week it is a bit more. They're content to hang out with me the rest of the time and are quite calm compared to many of the other dogs I'm around. Which is good 'cause hyper dogs drive me nuts :rolleyes:

Actually 20 miles is not unheard of. As a guide I regularly ran my dogs at distances of 10 miles daily on the trail.

I guess I'm lucky. If I needed to run my dog 10-20 miles per day I wouldn't be able to own a Border collie. I have fibromyalgia. Pounding exercise like jogging causes a lot of muscle and joint pain for me. I do try to walk daily, probably no more than a mile or two. I have found a few tricks to add more intensity to the walks. I'll walk while tossing a ball, so my dog is doing double-time. I'll also throw a ball down hill so the dog has to run up and down the hill. During times of bad weather all my dogs use the treadmill.

The Border collies that I've been exposed to never seem hyper. Instead, they seem to settle easily and turn on easily. To be honest, if i had to choose between placing a Lab or a Border collie with an elderly person, I would choose the Border collie!

I have a 14 months old female border collie. I take her everyday to the woods and let her run off leash for about 45 minutes, she love it. my wife take her for a rollerblade at night for about 30 minutes, and that's more than enough for her. you have to be very careful with the hot weather, try to exercise them early in the morning or late at night, because they get very hot, and you have to know when to stop.

I learned something about border collies, yes they need the exercise which i give my Java everyday, and you need to keep their mind stimulated, but i think the most important thing for a border collie is keeping them busy with you in the house, they love to be involved in everything.

good luck

As I'm lucky enough to live surrounded by spectacular countryside, mine get half hour to an hour daily during the week and, in the spring and summer at least one long walk at the weekend. By long I mean five hours plus - because that is what I enjoy doing. If for whatever reason they cna't get a long walk, we play fetch instead. I have to watch Rhiw though as intense games of fetch make him very hot very quickly. I have noticed that when this regime has broken down - (illness for example) the dogs do adpat themselves accordingly. Conversely I think the more exercise they have, the more they will take.

5 hours/20 miles a day stories are either exaggeration or the person's need, not the dog's.

Try telling that to my Sam, everytime you walk near the front door he's behind it sitting waiting to go out again, he loves going out, and now that his confidence is growing, even when i'm walking slowly/doodling, he's running around in large circles.

I agree about the persons needs, obviously it is a major factor in dog choice, i've mainly owned BC's as i like the outdoors and excercise, and i'm looking forward to taking Sam mountaineering as soon as he's old enough, if i didn't like excercise then i would have chosen something like a staff.

Try telling that to my Sam, everytime you walk near the front door he's behind it sitting waiting to go out again, he loves going out, and now that his confidence is growing, even when i'm walking slowly/doodling, he's running around in large circles.

As Anda so succinctly put it:

No one says it's unheard of. We're just saying it's not necessary.

But.....who is it that should determine what is necessary for a Border Colllie?

The Border Collie or the owner? I would consider the Boder Collie as the best judge as to whether its necessary or not.

If my dog is sitting at the door to our garden, I know he needs the toilet. If he is sitting at the front door, i know he wants to excercise.

If my dog is sitting at the door to our garden, I know he needs the toilet. If he is sitting at the front door, i know he wants to excercise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh Oh! Wants and Needs are two different things.

if i didn't like excercise then i would have chosen something like a staff.

lol, I dunno, my pitty cross puts my BC to shame when it comes to running. She'll go all day without stopping. I'll take her to the beach and she'll rotate through play mates as they tire and walk away, then she runs with the next one. My BC runs for about 45 minutes, then he's back at my side :rolleyes:

It really is funny, I expected the BC to be the hyper one :D

But.....who is it that should determine what is necessary for a Border Colllie?

The Border Collie or the owner? I would consider the Boder Collie as the best judge as to whether its necessary or not.

How about your daughter - I am sure she would consider that having ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner would be ideal. She wants it, therefore she needs it? :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh Oh! Wants and Needs are two different things.

I understand what you mean in some instances, for example my children 'need' wholesome food to stay healthy, and they 'want' sweets which they can do without as is considered a treat.

However, i don't (imo) believe the same is true with a dog and excercise. Just like a child will naturally want to run around in a park, or go out and ride on their bike, or play with other children, if they are restricted from doing it then all sorts of bahaviour issues could manifest.

We have a family accross the road from us, they have 2 children around the same ages as our two, however there children are very rarely allowed out of the house, and they stand up on the couch at their windows looking out and you can see the frustration of not being allowed to play outside like other children. I think it is a real shame....

If my dog wants more excercise, then i give it! :rolleyes:

If my dog wants more excercise, then i give it! :D

Well, that isn't exactly breaking news. :rolleyes:

If you are amused/impressed by Sam's breeder who allows his dog to run wild trying to "herd" moving vehicles to the point of you nearly running it over, then you letting Sam always decide how much and when to excercise makes a certain sense, I suppose. And it doesn't appear to be a concern for you if Sam ends up one of those dogs who must run for 5 hours or goes buggy. So the only real risk here is to Sam's physical and mental soundness, but in the end, it's your pup, your choices.

I would consider the Boder Collie as the best judge as to whether its necessary or not.

I partially agree with this statement. I try to read the dog and let him/her tell me how much is enough. But that is not to say if my dog, after running very hard for a while and is panting fast and hard, and still wants to play more ball, that I let him. I think it's a balance between dog and owner as to "who is the best judge of how much exercise."

Though, what I wrote above does NOT apply to young pups. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm lucky. If I needed to run my dog 10-20 miles per day I wouldn't be able to own a Border collie. I have fibromyalgia. Pounding exercise like jogging causes a lot of muscle and joint pain for me. I do try to walk daily, probably no more than a mile or two.

The Border collies that I've been exposed to never seem hyper. Instead, they seem to settle easily and turn on easily.

Another fibro friend here! Some days taking Scooter for a walk just isn't going to happen, but we have other things we do to keep him occupied. We've found, as many have said, mental exercises can be just as much a work out. On less than good days, he seems happy to just lie next to me and sympathize. He has the beginnings of hip dysplasia. :D Guess we're a pretty good match! :rolleyes:

I think it's a balance between dog and owner as to "who is the best judge of how much exercise."

I would agree Lizmo. The amount of exercise depends on both the dog and the owner. Some dogs need more, some dogs need less - but it is up to the human to decide when enough is enough. I know that Daisy would play with her jolly ball in the park with me until her legs fell off but I make the call when I think she has really had enough. :rolleyes:

Well, that isn't exactly breaking news. :D

If you are amused/impressed by Sam's breeder who allows his dog to run wild trying to "herd" moving vehicles to the point of you nearly running it over, then you letting Sam always decide how much and when to excercise makes a certain sense, I suppose. And it doesn't appear to be a concern for you if Sam ends up one of those dogs who must run for 5 hours or goes buggy. So the only real risk here is to Sam's physical and mental soundness, but in the end, it's your pup, your choices.

Hello Liz, and how are you today :rolleyes:

Wrong on two accounts within the first 8 words of the second paragraph.....

Firstly, the person i got Sam from wasn't a 'breeder' he was a 'farmer' and as such his dogs were left in the yard when not working.

Secondly, the farmer was in front of me taking me back from his farm to the nearest village so that i could find my way back home.

The farmer had Sams dad in the back of the LandRover with him, however Sams mum was left back in the yard along with two of his other working Border Collies.

So from the above you can see that the farmer wasn't aware what was happening behind him.

I'm not a betting man, but i wouldn't mind betting that Sam will be a much happier dog for me allowing him the excercise he so rightly deserves as opposed to restricting him as per your recommendation.

Furthermore, you might want to check the American Border Collie Club, now even they state the following:-

'Despite what some may claim, data from numerous scientific studies provide overwhelming evidence that HD is an inherited disease.'

Bye Liz :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Lab, Tilly, and Border collie, Freeman, just asked if they can come live with you? You are the owner they have always dreamed of.

BTW, remember to pick Tilly's dish up after feedings because she will be dropping it at your feet every few minutes. Her brain never registers that she has been fed.

Also, keep the toys picked up because Freeman will be dropping toys at your feet every few minutes. He can be really persistant with this.

Also, if toys are not lying around he has no problem tossing other household objects at you: socks, couch pillows, etc.

Both dogs know not to bother mom because she ignores their antics, but they are always game for trying unsuspecting people. They are in the room packing their bags as we speak! Also, Freeman is requesting that you quit your job because you will need to commit your entire day seeing to their "needs."

Best of luck and they are on their way!

Samantha once ran her front pads to hamburger. She was playing fetch with me on hard ground, every step must have been painful, but I didn't know what was happening until I saw blood flying. It took her more than two weeks to heal.

Shoshone once sliced one of her front pads almost off, again, she ran until I saw blood flying. I was able to find what she'd sliced herself on, and it was in an area of the park that we hadn't been anywhere near for about 15 minutes.

Dogs with as much heart and drive as border collies are NOT the best judge of how much they should be doing. Sam will still run until she drops if I let her. There is a balance in all things, including what can be done and what is in the best interest over the long run, (pardon the pun.) Your Sam may be fine all his life, but the amount of exercise you let him have is vastly increasing the odds that he'll have some problems as soon as young adulthood.

So, as others have said, your dog, your choice. Play against the odds, but Sam is the one who will pay the most if the odds win.

Ruth