BC Boards

Managing Driving - Difficult Sheep

I have a young dog, about PN level but drive's still not confident (still will head if I'm not careful). Ted has moderate eye, good flanks, needs to be reminded a little not to push but I really do mean just a little.

We just opened new pasture and I'd like to be able to trail the sheep up to the top along the new path we cut through the woods. It's about 1/4 mile. My sheep are not very nice - they are wool sheep who have no problem splitting in different directions, or bolting off, slipping around through the woods, and finding some neighbor's lawn.

How can I make this task easier for Ted? I've been able to get them about halfway but at that point there's a pond where they can beat him around, double back and take off for home again.

I've tried splitting them and only working the easiest sheep, but then I've got everyone screaming at each other and the draw back to home base is just that much worse.

Trying to take everyone was a disaster. I ended up getting them to the edge of the woods, and no further, because it was too much work trying to keep everyone together (almost 40 sheep including young lambs), and I was running out of dog. So I stopped on that spot of grass and I just let him hold them there while they grazed.

I've thought of two possible ways, and would like your opinion on which might be better - or something else entirely.

One, just take them out half a dozen at a time and gradually "break" them a little bit each day until we can do the whole route confidently, then start over with a new set. What worries me about this is what potential habits I might be putting in my dog, since we're supposed to be starting trialing end of May.

Two, use another dog we have here, together with Ted. If this would help the sheep get used to going where they need to, and Ted more confident, I'd be comfortable doing this. But I don't want Ted to learn to depend on the other dog - he does need to learn to handle these sheep alone, at least for a while, as this other dog is going stone deaf. I also don't want the sheep to think if there's only one dog they can do what they want.

Thanks!

Guest carol campion
I have a young dog, about PN level but drive's still not confident (still will head if I'm not careful). Ted has moderate eye, good flanks, needs to be reminded a little not to push but I really do mean just a little.

We just opened new pasture and I'd like to be able to trail the sheep up to the top along the new path we cut through the woods. It's about 1/4 mile. My sheep are not very nice - they are wool sheep who have no problem splitting in different directions, or bolting off, slipping around through the woods, and finding some neighbor's lawn.

How can I make this task easier for Ted? I've been able to get them about halfway but at that point there's a pond where they can beat him around, double back and take off for home again.

I've tried splitting them and only working the easiest sheep, but then I've got everyone screaming at each other and the draw back to home base is just that much worse.

Trying to take everyone was a disaster. I ended up getting them to the edge of the woods, and no further, because it was too much work trying to keep everyone together (almost 40 sheep including young lambs), and I was running out of dog. So I stopped on that spot of grass and I just let him hold them there while they grazed.

I've thought of two possible ways, and would like your opinion on which might be better - or something else entirely.

One, just take them out half a dozen at a time and gradually "break" them a little bit each day until we can do the whole route confidently, then start over with a new set. What worries me about this is what potential habits I might be putting in my dog, since we're supposed to be starting trialing end of May.

Two, use another dog we have here, together with Ted. If this would help the sheep get used to going where they need to, and Ted more confident, I'd be comfortable doing this. But I don't want Ted to learn to depend on the other dog - he does need to learn to handle these sheep alone, at least for a while, as this other dog is going stone deaf. I also don't want the sheep to think if there's only one dog they can do what they want.

Thanks!

Hi Rebecca

Hope you had a nice Easter day! Sunny and clear but cold here.

I have similar conditions here in some areas I need to get sheep to. Some wooded areas we are clearing and a field up the road that I need to take the whole flock to. Taking the sheep to the newly cleared areas is similar. I do use to dogs in those instances.

I think I would try each of your methods and see which works best for you. If Ted isn't really a strong driving dog yet, the sheep will certainly take advantage of folding around him because that's what happens with big numbers. especially with lambs. Almost always, there is some panic stricken lamb or two that don't quite make it around some corner or through some gate and then run up and down throwing themselves into fences and what not. More reason for sheep to spread on the trail.

I would lean towards the two dog effort. I don't think you need to worry about him being dependent on another dog for this as it really sounds like a two dog job. If it was straight forward, I wouldn't think that. But the obstacles make it more complicated. He will probably learn more about the job at hand if it gets accomplished successfully a few times than if it fails.

If your priority is more to train the sheep to go there, then breaking it down to half the flock at a time is good. Think of it that it gives Ted a chance to do it twice in one day! And I wouldn't refrain from using two dog with half of the sheep either. it is temporary till everyone knows what the job & goal is.

Another idea that a friend of mine who reads this board suggested this morning that 'll pass on is to wear the sheep out the first few times. Then Ted will be more confident and the sheep will probably learn quicker that they have to go. As they get accustomed to being made to go and not dawdle, you can shift over to driving with Ted. Even with wearing you may want two dogs the first few times. So long as you graduate to Ted handling the task on his own, I wouldn't worry about making him dependent. I would worry more about having him be defeated by sheep splitting and breaking back.

When I was in the highlands helping Julie Simpson lamb, she always used a few dogs for a big group in a situation like what you are describing. Too many sheep can spread and defeat just one dog.

Carol

Thank you!

I definitely don't want them to beat Ted, so we will use another dog as well when we need to get larger groups up there. I let him work a smaller group at another farm (or rather Julie did) that was quiet and cooperative, on the trails, and he responded to that extremely well. As it happened, I started with wearing, then at the end, let him drive and he handled kept them on line and kept them at a nice pace.

So, next step - working our silly sheep again! I'll post how it goes, later. Thanks again!