BC Boards

how to install power in a dog

Carol i have asked the group about this and received some great suggestions. i thought i would run it by you as the expert this period to see if you could help me. thanks bill

1. dog age 7 years

2. great desire

3. good outruns

4. good flanks

5. Use hair sheep and young goats (not together) 5 at a time

6 problem

he will walk up on sheep and as soon as pressure is demanded he will flank left or right. i have worked with him for two years but very little success. the sheep become aware of this and challenge him. it then becomes difficult to move sheep.

7. it takes a goodly amount of time to pen sheep/goats because of flanking left and right, however one penned he will hold them in a corner.

any ideas

thanks

bill

Guest carol campion
Carol i have asked the group about this and received some great suggestions. i thought i would run it by you as the expert this period to see if you could help me. thanks bill

1. dog age 7 years

2. great desire

3. good outruns

4. good flanks

5. Use hair sheep and young goats (not together) 5 at a time

6 problem

he will walk up on sheep and as soon as pressure is demanded he will flank left or right. i have worked with him for two years but very little success. the sheep become aware of this and challenge him. it then becomes difficult to move sheep.

7. it takes a goodly amount of time to pen sheep/goats because of flanking left and right, however one penned he will hold them in a corner.

any ideas

thanks

bill

Hi Bill

One thing you can do is to not let the dog get so close that the sheep can suss him out. Otherwise you set him up for failure. If you know he hasn't much grit, you have to almost trick the sheep by not letting them know. They know when push comes to shove. When tested, the dog will fail. But if you can teach hm to work farther off his stock, he can gain confidence getting used to them moving off him because he hasn't gotten to that telling situation.

Then you can do other things like packed pen work. Do a find on these boards. I believe it has been described fully there. And the other suggestions have been good.

You may need to get new sheep if they know him so well that he is always losing the "I will move you" confrontation. They may know him so well he won't ever make a believer of them.

Carol