BC Boards

How You Know You're a BC Person- Please Add Yours!

When you go on vacation in a country where you don't even speak the language and get your elderly mother to stop and talk to a farmer because he has a leggy black and white dog with "that look". And end up spending an hour visiting and chatting - yes, in the language you don't speak.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i'll bite!

Hope this doesn't show i'm a bit anti-social. (Unless my dogs are with me or someone has a BC)

You believe that BC's are smarter then most humans.

You much rather goto the park and run around like a manic, then go out on a date. (any wonder im single ladies?)

No matter how bad a day you have. Being mugged by a couple of black and white pooches, makes it all better.

You strangely feel connected to other border folks! You laugh and cry with them, you feel the pride and disappointments along side of them.

When your favorite inter-net activity is reading these very forums. What can i say I like you folks :rolleyes:

If you think about what you would do if you'd win the lottery, the first answer you come up with is "I'd quit work and stay home with my dogs."

Whenever friends come over, you sit outside and play fetch and frisbee with your dogs. You try to explain that the dogs are more entertaining than cable.

~Kelly

Originally posted by fooshuman:

You believe that BC's are smarter then most humans.

You much rather goto the park and run around like a manic, then go out on a date. (any wonder im single ladies?)

No matter how bad a day you have. Being mugged by a couple of black and white pooches, makes it all better.

You strangely feel connected to other border folks! You laugh and cry with them, you feel the pride and disappointments along side of them.

When your favorite inter-net activity is reading these very forums. What can i say I like you folks :rolleyes:

Yes!!!! Yes!!

Originally posted by Deneen:

If you think about what you would do if you'd win the lottery, the first answer you come up with is "I'd quit work and stay home with my dogs."

~My dream!!!

You look at your feet before you get up from the computer lest you trip over the pile of toys there.
I get this one ALL THE TIME!!

Here are some more I just thought of....

**You hate all dog trick books because your dog already knows them all.

**You spend hours thinking of what you should teach your dog next - and the consequences that could result from that new learned trick. (opening the fridge for example)

**Your dog knows the basic commands in 5 different languages (whistles is one of them)

This is alot of fun! I'm so glad you guys are enjoying this thread! I just love to hear about your dogs! :rolleyes:

What fun!!!

I can add a few that are specific to Jo & Tex;

- my Bc means that my legs get Pee'd on way more often than other dog owners

- my dog is the canine equivilent of lint

- I get to explain to awestruck bystanders that the reason my dog is goose-stepping like a soldier on parade is that he knows that somewhere up ahead is a set of stairs

- when people comment on the fabulous shine of Tex's inky black coat, I can look them in the eye and say "I feed my dog BARF!"

- Bc also stands for Birth Control dog. Tex dislikes my dates who are a) drunks b)religious kooks c)still living with Mama or d)all of the preceding.

He always figures it out before I do

- getting to extract my dog from wire tomato cages. Obviously blind dogs and vegetable gardens are not meant to exist in the same yard.

Originally posted by D'Elle:

You can spot a BC from five blocks away or in a crowd, and make a beeline to go pet the dog and talk to the owner

Ok, I can stop being ashamed of myself then :rolleyes: .

Some more:

- it doesn't matter when you forgot to have breakfast before climbing a mountain, as you can always eat the dog treats in your pockets if it gets too bad. There are always dog treats in all your pockets, never fear.

- you hate mornings with all your soul, but you consider switching your alarm from 5 am to 4.30 am because your BC has just discovered the value of extended morning cuddles.

- you're wary of showing your own pain but you yelp when you step on your dog's foot.

- you go to all available toy shops to push around on the balls (to test their durability).

- you love the sound of cracking bones and teeth munching on gristle.

- your car looks like...well, like mine! :D

*When your Dad has been throwing the ball for about 15 minutes straight and makes the comment "He should be getting worn out by now" and you just roll your eyes and say "Yeah, right" and pick up where he left off. :rolleyes:

(No lie...this one happened yesterday afternoon) :D

Originally posted by Lunar:

Here's another one that just came to mind:

When you meet someone new and you whip out your wallet to show them photos of your pooches!

hehehehe I did that today in class.

I got one

*When your at the dog park and people see your dog lying flat on the ground and they think that shes tired, and you have to inform them to watch her and then 20 seconds later shes running circles aorund the other dogs

Lol...keep 'em coming!! This is also a great thread for anyone interested in Border Collies and wanting to know more about them! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Carson Crazies:

* You sign up for public humiliation, and then pay to do it.

Yeah Buddy! been there done that many times, and I suppose I will be there again, soon, Phoenix is having his 1st sheepherding lesson. I'm an obedience trainer, (sooooo, I s h o u l d! have a well behaved dog, right? )! HUH!!! public humilitation/embarassment.... part 2 or 3 or........ hmmmmm lost count!!!

PS... Phoenix is well behaved and right on target for most all of his obedience commands, BUT, we are still working on stranger and dog aggression, so that sorta cancels out "good dog", to the unknowing person whom this attitude it directed towards! LOL! :rolleyes:

Ah... well... to make a short story even shorter, she did a Beeeeeyoootiful outrun, and a fairly decent lift. Then basically in quick order lost the sheep to the exhaust pen. The situation looked salvageable to a degree, but this naughty black ewe got her feet stuck in the fence - the fence that she launched herself into head first. There were quite a few things that I was very pleased with, though, some confidence to be had on her (and my) part, and some novice mistakes that I made in addition to hers- but that's a whole other thread :rolleyes: . Yeah, it could have been a lot worse, and even though it probably looked like quite the train wreck, I was happy.

*Everyone who knows you asks how your BC is doing

*Your ADHD neices and nephews ask if the dog's tired yet

*You start pushing the city to build a dog park with secret plans to then push them to add an agility section

*You balance your checkbook against how much herding lessons will run and pay the bills accordingly

*You buy a lotto ticket specifically because if you win then you can get more toys for your BC

Laura, I think those sheep were devils in wool anyway! She will do loads better when she gets some sheep that don't need to be on prozak! :rolleyes:

Well, now I AM getting nervous about our first run! At least it will be in the "baby" pen!

So sorry I had to miss Mon. Damn truck! Well, your first one is over so now the rest will be easy,,,,,,right?