BC Boards

How You Know You're a BC Person- Please Add Yours!

* Aquaintances, when overhearing a conversation between you and your hubby, think you have kids!

* You now realize the greatest joy in life is not money or being married or being successful at your job - it's the morning snuggles you get from the dogs

* You become twitchy at every sound you can't immediately identify - and half that you can - frequentally hollaring, "What are you doing?!"

* The husband has resigned himself to being second in your life. Possibly third.

* Guests to your home know better than to complain about fur, dogs on couches, or being sniffed head to foot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you buy slippers in twos ...

two pairs of each

you tell the whole household to shush

coz pup is sleeping

you have a vacuum as an arm prothesis

you miss all the outings and parties , coz the pup needs her beauty sleep and shouldn't be exposed to cigarette smoke

you live in wellies and anoraks , and have given all the chic stuff to friends

...You cannot vacuum without the sweeper being barked at and herded.

... You know that your cats are safe because the dog is herding them.

... You don't freak out when 20 cattle have escaped their pasture, you just set the dog on them and then close the gate when he has them all back in.

... You realize that no ball belonging to your children is safe

... You get used to being awoken in the morning by your dog staring at you and breathing in your face.

... You stop setting the alarm, and know the dog will get you up in time

... You realize that your trampoline is only there to help your dog get better distance when he leaps

... When your chest freezer is stocked with a week's worth of bones/meat from the butcher

... You don't worry about those orphan calves and new kittens in the house, you know the dog will clean, and nurture them

... You know that "That'll do" is more than a line in a Shrek movie

... You realize that your children are learning how to do things by your giving the dog commands

... You learn just how bad that duout smells after your dog loves on you after taking a "bath"

... Cattle droppings are not just left overs, your dog likes them to roll in

Collin and Dianne

Originally posted by Joe Anne:

8.(my favorite) You actually think it's ok, when hubby comes to bed a 1/2 hour after you and dosen't have the heart to move your sleeping, belly up, legs reaching for the ceiling, BC, (who is on his side of the bed, plastered against you).... and sleeps in the guest room!!!

:rolleyes: Hee hee hee! How true. Only in our case it's not the guest room, it's the couch! We took down the spare bed and went from having a guest room to having a dog's room when our danes needed more space for their crates. Now that they're no longer with us it's become our daughter's play room. I'm still not sure though about my dh not having the heart to move the dog, I think it's more like he's afraid to wake me while moving the dog! I'm not usually in a very good mood when I get woken. Guess he should get to bed before Lightning and I do eh? :D

When you come out to your car after stopping at a store, it's dark, but you know which gray van is yours. It's the one with the white blazes pressed up against the windshield, eyes all on you. The everready welcome committee.

You don't even bother to change out of your 'dress' clothes to throw the slobbery ball...and most of the time catch yourself BEFORE you wipe your hands on your clothes :rolleyes:

You say hi to DH...and head for the backyard to 'play'

Your supper gets cold because you're busy tossing the ball and frisbee and that's way more important than food :D

You no longer think of the shortest distance between two points as a straight line.

You see a ball sitting around somewhere and you feel compelled to throw it whether there is a dog around or not.

You fear that any children you have are going to grow up thinking that it is appropriate to throw things all day long.

PVC jumps are a part of your living room decor.

From my hubby... *you realize that everything is in black and white, there are no shades of grey!

*When my husband is at work he does alot of walking outside at night and there are fox that run around sometimes, he thinks about calling Phoenixs' name to see if he gets a response, because the posture and quickness is very BC like!!!

*Mowing the lawn is no longer a 30 min job, due to ALL the frequent stops to bend over pick up the ball that is dropped in the path of the lawn mower, throw it...and repeat every 20 or less steps...it has now become a very time consuming job!! Oh Well!

Originally posted by Claire Owen:

*you panic when you see a dog whose tongue fits inside its mouth because its not *normal* :rolleyes:

OMG!! Rofl! How true!! Poppy's is always sticking out even whether his mouth is open or closed! :D

Ok... I think there is no end to this, here's another one my BC grand-dog Amica (Phoenix's sister), did...and my daughter learned this lesson real quick:

*you learn not to decorate the Christmas Tree with "balls"!!!

This past Christmas, Amica just 15 mos. old, came walking out to the kitchen and presented my daughter with a bright shiny Christmas ball decoration. Just as proud of herself as she could be. My daughter moved them all further up the tree, BUT, all that accomplished was a dog who sat and stared at the tree for hours!!! unless someone got a real ball and played with her..

Hahaha, Natalie, I just did that last night

We were at a bar with some friends from work and then someone new came and since she was showing pictures of her cat on her cellphone, I felt compelled to pull out my digital camera (which, for some strange reason, I was carring!) and show not only pictures of Ouzo, but also a short video with him herding me in the livingroom and doing the "chameleon" - y'all know, when they move their legs slowly back and forth

*You can stop worrying about where you left the car at Petsmart, the dog always remembers

*There are 5 places for photos on your charm bracelet. 4 kids fit, dh doesn't, doggie gets the heart shaped middle one.

*Off is every third word of every sentence. Leave It is 4th.

*Stuffed animals as presents for the kids are always judged by how long they'll last as the dog's new best friend

*You take no credit for your dog being teacher's pet at dog school

*You learned there is such a thing as a "whisper" bark, and you better pay attention to it!!

*Anyone in the house expressing sweetness and light is probably referring to the dog

*You hear your normally honest self lying about your dog's breed to protect the working BC (oh, he's just a lab mix...)

LOVE THAT DOG!!!!!

*You find yourself feeling 'under the weather' and staying home from work, much more frequently than before your BC"

*You're skirting the edge of felony theft of services at work from extended lunch and break time perusal of bordercollie.org.*

*It is suddenly much easier to get certain kinds of work done from home so you tend to get those projects done to the sacrifice of all that silly face time and managerial walk about."

*You've convinced your company to roll back on travel in favor of virtual meetings, after all isn't that what all this costly IT is for!"

*You need physical therapy because you keep contorting yourself to fit around the sleeping dog in the bed all night long"

*You're conisdering giving up doing anything but performance art that involves puppy, because you have no choice."

*You sing love songs to your dog.*

*You look at your feet before you get up from the computer lest you trip over the pile of toys there.*

*When puppy isn't with you, you feel as if you're missing a leg."

*Puppy's career is more important than your own"

*Just in case there is a heaven and dogs are allowed there, you vow to lead a better life so that you can play with your departed freinds again forever"

*The idea that "no dogs allowed" faces you at every turn seems racist(speciest) rather than a matter of liability, loss and hygeine.

*Between members of your household, everything is either BC or AC, before collie or after collie."

*You don't remember how you ever managed to think life was worth living when you didn't have a border collie sharing your life.

Love it!

you panic when you see a dog whose tongue fits inside its mouth because its not *normal
We always said we'd be in trouble if Fergie ever grew into her tongue.

You know when:

Your granddaughter's preschool teacher spends days discussing relatives and relationships. Then asks about the relative the kids would most like to see more. And the answer is, "Fergie!" (And she sees her weekly.)

When your adult children tell people that there aare 4 of them, the 2 sisters, the brother, and the border collie.

Oh, I forgot this one!

You learn that the dog must be put away before attempting such chores as: mopping, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming or raking. Unless you enjoy having a dog hanging off the end of the broom, rake, mop, etc!

*when your dog meets your 2 month old Nephew and you laugh when she promptly drops a tennis ball on babys head.

*when you are a teenage girl, having no issues walking around in public wearing a muddy, baggy, grey cardigan just because it has a Border Collie on the back.

*when you hear the word "Border Collie" your ears perk up and you know exacly where the sound came from, and make a beeline toward the person who said it, and proceed to talk their ear off about your BCs.