BC Boards

Please Help! Unusual BC Puppy Sleeping Habits Or Not??

We are bringing home a bc mix this weekend. She will be 15 weeks on sunday and we are getting her from a local rescue group. They aren't completely sure what she is mixed with. They are thinking either English Shepard or Lab. Her mom was feral and she was a part of a 10 puppy litter. She has been living in a good foster home for several weeks now and they have taken care of all of her medical issues. Including her there are still a total of 5 of the original littermates living in the foster home. I have been visiting her at the foster home for about three weeks now. We have also been taking her for home visits that way when we bring her home for good everything won't be such a shock to her and she will be more comfortable with us and the new living arrangements.

Now to get to the issue....

As most of you can probably assume she is EXTREMELY intelligent and has already surpassed my expectations in that department. She is my first ever bc and my first puppy in general since I was a little girl. Her brothers and sister and are all VERY active puppies (as you can probably imagine). However, all she seems to want to do is sleep. When we bring her home for visits she is sleeping about 85% of the time. We try to get her play with toys and she might play for a minute or two and then she is done. She doesn't try exploring her new home or anything like that. She just goes to her spot and lays down. At first I just I assumed it was the stress of the whole situation but when we take her for walks she lays down every chance she gets. And when she is with her brothers and sisters she refuses to play with them and instead just goes into the kennal and sleeps. When we take her for walks and she isn't trying to lay down she is wagging her tail high in the air and side-to-side in a playful manner and she loves to give us kisses when she is awake. From everything that I have read about bc's this does not seem normal and I have been doing research for days and I haven't been able to find anything about it. So, my question is.....do you think this is just a phase that she will grow out of, is she depressed or upset, or is this just her personality possbily coming from her unknown father??

Any information or advice you could give me would be great. I want her to be happy and well taken care of in her new home.

That really does sound unusual, for any puppy really. I hate to even bring it up, but the one puppy i raised that acted something like this ended up with bad hips. I think she was laying down because she hurt. When you look at her, does she seem a little weaK or underdeveloped in the rear, or more muscular or overdeveloped in the front? Does she move with her rear legs together, like a bunny would hop?

It's probably not her hips since you say she's sleeping when she lays down but i thought i'd mention it.

That really does sound unusual, for any puppy really. I hate to even bring it up, but the one puppy i raised that acted something like this ended up with bad hips. I think she was laying down because she hurt. When you look at her, does she seem a little weaK or underdeveloped in the rear, or more muscular or overdeveloped in the front? Does she move with her rear legs together, like a bunny would hop?

It's probably not her hips since you say she's sleeping when she lays down but i thought i'd mention it.

I haven't really got the impression that she has been in pain. She is sleeping pretty much the entire the time she is laying down and when she is awake she seems pretty happy. I haven't really noticed any of the others things you mentioned but I wasn't looking for them either. The next time I will be able to see her is on Saturday when we bring her home for good and I will make sure to pay attention to everything you mentioned. Thank you so much!!!

Could she be deaf?

Deb

I'm pretty sure she's not deaf. She already knows the meaning of no, looks at us when we talk to her, and perks up her ears anytime she hears people walking by or cars coming.

Has she been the same way all three weeks that you've been visiting her. or is this a change? Either way, I'd be getting this girl to a vet for blood work, complete fecal and a head to toe physical. Have you seen her medical records? I'd also make sure a liver panel was done.

How is her eating/eliminating? It's strange for any breed puppy to be so inactive. I applaud you for taking in this girl, and I think you need a good vet check for her. Please let us know how you get on with her.

Ruth

This does not sound right. While you say they have taken care of her medical issues - what issues are you talking about and when? I'd get her to the vet before you bring her home, jmo.

Karen

They told me that she had some kind of a bacterial infection in her stomach when they got her and she is on her last week of treatment for that this week. She also had heart worms but they have said that they are gone now. I am not sure how old she was when they rescued her but she is 15 weeks now. I was planning on taking her to the vet but we aren't going to be able to that for another week or so.

I think you mean hookworms, maybe? A puppy that young wouldn't have heartworms. I agree that she sounds very inactive for any puppy, especially a border collie puppy. I hope she's ok. I would get her checked out at a vet ASAP. Good luck with her!

[ She also had heart worms but they have said that they are gone now. I am not sure how old she was when they rescued her but she is 15 weeks now. I was planning on taking her to the vet but we aren't going to be able to that for another week or so.

She had heartworms? Its very unlikely that a puppy that young had an infestation of heartworms and that she has been treated with the standard protocol. Unless she had microfilaria in her system and they treated by giving her a heartworm preventative pill....that being said most of the puppies I have tested, weren't even tested until around 16 weeks........Are you sure she had heartworms?

Hookworms could make a puppy that weak. Even after being treated they will be anemic for many weeks.

Definately not normal behavior. Have you checked her gums when she goes from play to lay down early like that? They should be bright pink to red - never white or blue.

If it was hookworms she would need to be dewormed several times to get all the hatch outs. 1 deworming would not do it.

Has she been the same way all three weeks that you've been visiting her. or is this a change? Either way, I'd be getting this girl to a vet for blood work, complete fecal and a head to toe physical. Have you seen her medical records? I'd also make sure a liver panel was done.

How is her eating/eliminating? It's strange for any breed puppy to be so inactive. I applaud you for taking in this girl, and I think you need a good vet check for her. Please let us know how you get on with her.

Ruth

She has been this way the whole time that we have been visiting her. That is actually what drew me to her. She was so shy and separeted from the rest of the litter. They would all be playing and roughhousing and she was off on her own and she just seemed so lonely. I knew right then that I wanted to adopt her so that I could make her feel safe and loved.

I haven't seen her medical records (I have never adopted before and I wasn't sure if it was appriopriate to ask to see them) but they have told me that she did have heartworms and a bacterial infection in her stomach when they got her but they put her on medication for both right away and the heartworms are gone and she is on her last week on the infection medicine now.

As for the eliminating and eating, she urinates about every 2-3 hours and she has control of it because she waits until we go outside and she gets to her spot that she has picked out. But I have never seen her defecate. Her foster mom gave me some of the food that she has been feeding all of them but she has never eaten any when we have had her. (This has kind of been worrying me also) However, the longest period of time that I have seen her awake was when she devoured a treat that he foster mom gave us for her. I am not sure what it is but it looked like a croissant and reminded me of a pig's ear that I sometime see dogs eating. She loved that thing.

I guess I mean hookworms. Her foster mom just said worms so I just assumed heartworms. Like I said, this is my first puppy since I was a little girl and she told me that they were all gone and completely take care of. I have never adopted before and I am seeing that apparently I have been naive in trusting that she was most likely telling me the complete truth about her health. I have even voiced my concerns to the foster mom and the rescue group and they have said that it's just something she'll grow out of. Even though we have not paid for yet and I could technically back out of it I am not going to. I know that is what they afraid of. But to me she is already mine and problems or no problems I am going to love and take care of her anyway so I wish they would just be honest about everything. After these responses I am definitely going to get her into the vet as soon as we possibly can.

I agree with everyone that you need to have some blood work and other tests done on her. It could be that she is just super shy and insecure but it also sounds like there maybe a medical issure. DO ask for her medical records, any good rescue will be more then happy (and should insist) that you see her medical history AND have the option of having her checked out by a vet of your choice. Do this before you bring her home for good so that you know what you are getting into and can be prepared and informed of the best way of caring for your new puppy. Please keep us posted.

I did some quick research and all of it came back that puppies cannot get heartworm from Mom website And given the age the most the pup might have had is microfilaria - easily treated by putting it on heartworm preventative.

so...not only is the heartworm diagnosis suspect, but you adopted the puppy when it was already known to be sick/"off"/not well? What Rescue group is doing this? :rolleyes:

I know that the sick ones tug at your heart, but this puppy could be a mountain of vet bills and heartbreak in the making. Please take her to *your* vet for a full exam and be prepared to make some hard decisions. Reasons a puppy can be lethargic and developmental behind like this range from anemia from parasites, to heart and liver defects.

Just to be clear they didn't tell me that she had heartworms and all they said was "worms". So I guess that means that she had hookworms. And part of the reason we have had to wait so long to actually bring her home is because she was still being treated for the infection and they wouldn't let us have her until it was completed and their vet said she was fine. But, I am going to ask for her medical records and take her to my own vet.

Thank you so much for helping me out and letting me know that I was not just being paranoid and that it actually is not normal. Everyone else that I had talked just kept saying that she would grow out of it and there probably wan't anything wrong. But I am not going to take any chances.

I know that the sick ones tug at your heart, but this puppy could be a mountain of vet bills and heartbreak in the making. Please take her to *your* vet for a full exam and be prepared to make some hard decisions. Reasons a puppy can be lethargic and developmental behind like this range from anemia from parasites, to heart and liver defects.

I don't want to sound depressing, but this would raise a red flag for me too. Most rescues have as part of their contract that if you get the adopted dog into your vet within a certain amount of time and the vet finds something wrong with the dog, you have the option to return the dog for a refund or exchange. I realize at this point this might be very hard for you to think about, but the amount of money you could spend on a sick pup could be huge. You may want to look into their contracts and see if they have some sort of clause like this.

On a better note, the rescue I have worked with has had quite a few feral litters of pups come through over the years, they are not a bc rescue, just general doggy goodness. It often seems that while some of the feral pups will transition into people life without a second glance, there always seems to be one or 2 pups that take a bit longer. However, I wouldn't count on this, I would get her to a vet first.

best of luck

I don't want to sound depressing, but this would raise a red flag for me too. Most rescues have as part of their contract that if you get the adopted dog into your vet within a certain amount of time and the vet finds something wrong with the dog, you have the option to return the dog for a refund or exchange. I realize at this point this might be very hard for you to think about, but the amount of money you could spend on a sick pup could be huge. You may want to look into their contracts and see if they have some sort of clause like this.

best of luck

I haven't actually paid for her or signed anything yet. We were going to that this weekend. But I actually started crying at my desk earlier at the thought of not getting her. I am already so in love and attatched. However, my bf is fresh out of college with a new job (and lots of loans) and I am working full time but also going to school part time. We would be able to hande the medical bills up to a certain point but we just wouldn't have the money if it started getting in the thousands of dollars. So, I am just going to have to sit down with the rescue group and have a serious discussion, get the medical records, and have her checked before I sign or pay anything. I guess I have learned my lesson when it comes to adopting. I would do it again but now I know that it is still a business and as such people will be tricky when need be to sell "a product". :-(

You know, I don't think that you have to assume it's as grim as some made it sound (even me). It may be a case as Wendy said earlier, that the hookworms and bacterial upset in her stomach have just drained her. She's still being treated, or just finishing up treatment, so she may start to bounce back soon enough. I also wouldn't go in assuming that the rescue is, was, or will mislead you. As you said, sit down and talk to them, look at the vet records and go from there. Rescues want a good match. They're not going to want to have you adopt a puppy that you won't be able to keep. Keep the faith, but just go into it with your eyes open, you know?

When I brought Alex home from the shelter, he was very sick. Upper respiratory, kennel cough, worms, oh my! It took him several weeks or a month, even, to bounce back and become the crazy, happy puppy he actually was. So, hope is not all lost for your little one. Hang in there!

You know, I don't think that you have to assume it's as grim as some made it sound (even me). It may be a case as Wendy said earlier, that the hookworms and bacterial upset in her stomach have just drained her. She's still being treated, or just finishing up treatment, so she may start to bounce back soon enough. I also wouldn't go in assuming that the rescue is, was, or will mislead you. As you said, sit down and talk to them, look at the vet records and go from there. Rescues want a good match. They're not going to want to have you adopt a puppy that you won't be able to keep. Keep the faith, but just go into it with your eyes open, you know?

When I brought Alex home from the shelter, he was very sick. Upper respiratory, kennel cough, worms, oh my! It took him several weeks or a month, even, to bounce back and become the crazy, happy puppy he actually was. So, hope is not all lost for your little one. Hang in there!

Thanks! I have gotten to know her foster mom pretty well and I really don't think that she would mislead me on purpose, but I guess I you just never know. Although, she does really seem care for the animals she is currently taking care of and I am still planning on going through with the adoption. I just can't see giving up on Lorelei unless I absolutely have to. She's our baby already I honestly don't think that anyone could love her like we will but I also know that if there is a MAJOR medical problem we won't be able to afford it and that's just not fair to her. I am not going to make her suffer and not get the medical treatment she needs just so that I can have her in my life. But, I am not going to assume anything until we get her to the vet and I can hear from him what, if anything, is wrong. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

I agree with everyone that a vet visit is in order. I know that worms or other intestinal problems can certainly make them feel run down. Last night, my 9 1/2 week old pup was totally not herself. All she would do is sleep, and after a lengthy nap, I couldn't really get her to get up and play or be interested in much of anything. Just more sleep. This morning, we went to the vet, and she has a bunch of weird bacteria in her system (not surprised--she finds every bit of lamb afterbirth lying out in the pasture and I have a hard time getting it away from her). So she is now on antibiotics to clear it up. By this evening, she is pretty much back to her old self. So, having something similar can certainly make a pup into a totally different pup than she would normally be. However, I would also be concerned that this has been going on as long as it has,

A

I agree with everyone that a vet visit is in order. I know that worms or other intestinal problems can certainly make them feel run down. Last night, my 9 1/2 week old pup was totally not herself. All she would do is sleep, and after a lengthy nap, I couldn't really get her to get up and play or be interested in much of anything. Just more sleep. This morning, we went to the vet, and she has a bunch of weird bacteria in her system (not surprised--she finds every bit of lamb afterbirth lying out in the pasture and I have a hard time getting it away from her). So she is now on antibiotics to clear it up. By this evening, she is pretty much back to her old self. So, having something similar can certainly make a pup into a totally different pup than she would normally be. However, I would also be concerned that this has been going on as long as it has,

A

Thanks for sharing that. Ever since I have been getting responses this morning it has been all I have been able to think about and I have been in a pretty depressed mood all day. This story does give me a little more hope though. It has been going on for a while but she is still on her medicine so maybe that could be what is causing some of it. However, her brothers and sister had it also and it definitely hasn't effected their energy level either. I just really don't know what to think about the whole situation. I guess I will just have to bring her home and watch really closely the first few days until I can get her medical records from the rescue group and take her to the vet myself.

I guess I will just have to bring her home and watch really closely the first few days until I can get her medical records from the rescue group and take her to the vet myself.

You've already gotten more good things to consider than I could have shared, but I just wanted to toss one more thing into your pile of stuff to think about. Is there a reason you cannot get her medical records and take her to your vet immediately? (As in "before even bringing her home"?) I can tell that you are, totally understandably, anxious about what that vet visit might reveal, so why not just schedule an appointment ASAP and stop at the vet clinic on your way from the foster mom's house to your house?

At least for me with my pets' health, not knowing is almost always worse than knowing, so I would think that the sooner you can get your questions answered, the better! Even waiting a few extra days could add stress that neither you nor the pup needs at this point.

Best of luck for you both.