BC Boards

Slightly O/T: Kitten Obsession

I need some more advice. Sheila is obsessed with one of our kittens. We currently have five kittens about 8 weeks old.

A few days ago, we had seven kittens, but two of them were adopted out. One of those two, and one of our remaining five, are brother and sister.

Sheila obsessed over these two, but now that one is gone, she's obsessed with the one that's left.

It doesn't seems as though she wants to hurt the kitten (i.e., doesn't want to kill), but when a 30 pound BC tries to herd a 2 pound kitten, the kitten is going to get squished. She barely pays attention to the four other kittens, although she will on occasion (like if they're running past her). She also doesn't care about any of our adult cats.

Sheila will pace and pace and pace, pupils dilated, ears up, tail pointed, front foot up. Then she goes in a big circle around the room and comes back. She corners the kitten. The kitten is learning to be clever about how he moves around (which is actually amuzing to watch this kitten with a look of "oh sh*t!!" on his face, but I don't show my amuzement outwardly), but Sheila is always right on him. If the kitten is out in the open and on the move, she chases him -- hiss, snap, growl, yelp (from the kitten). I've tried to break her concentration, but even 15 minutes of this doesn't help. Even now, the kitten is in my lap and Sheila is laying at my feet looking up at us waiting for the kitten to make a move. I'm worried that she'll hurt the kitten either on accident or this obsessive behavior could escelate.

So two questions. First, why would she be obsessed with this one kitten? Second, since she ignores the older cats, should we just wait until the kitten gets bigger and hope Sheila looses interest? Maybe spending 15 minutes a day with her is what's needed? I realize I'm seeing a herding/prey instinct, but I'm at a loss as to how to stop it -- or even if I should.

Not sure how to proceed.

TIA,

IMM

If it was my dogs (entranced by all small furry things!) they would be on-leash when around tiny kittens like that. I think a strong "leave it!" command would be good here. I think you need to teach the dog to leave the kitten alone. Lots of cats get along with dogs, but the kittens need to be protected and the dogs need to learn manners.

I imagine that if this kitten is the only one to be feisty with the dog, then that is why the dog is interested. "Ooh! Squeaky toy!"

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I've used a strong, loud voice, but that doesn't seem to stop her. I appreciate the suggestion about using a leash, but this isn't a workable solution given the situation. I think if Sheila had "kill" in her behavior I'd consider using a leash, but at this point (and for the past 8 weeks) it's been more about locating the kitten, keeping an eye on the kitten, chase the kitten, corner the kitten, squish (somewhat accidentally) the kitten.

(BTW, Sheila is making a liar out of me to some extent: she only seems to be obsessed sometimes. Like now, kitten is asleep on the bed and Sheila is asleep on the floor.)

All the kittens "squeak" when Sheila messes with them. Kinda like a "hey, bud -- don't touch me!". The kitten she's obsessed with squeaks as much (or as little) as the others.

IMM

That sounds very odd. Perplexing. You said she was interested in the pair of kittens... the siblings. Maybe there's some smell or something about them. Unfortunately you may never know.

Keep working with her, but I know how frustrating it is. Our shepherd does this with our cat - even a year later. :mad: Luckily the cat is full grown so he doesn't get hurt - just ticked off at the constant harassment.

We're not seeing this as a big deal. As long as we keep an eye on her when the kittens and her are together, everything stays pretty calm. When she gets too rough, I call her and she comes, but then goes right back. But at least I've broken her concentration for 5 seconds and this is enough to calm her down a bit.

I think making it a big deal will just make it more of a challenge for Sheila, who seems to like challenges. And as I said, she's not 100% obsessed, just maybe 80%. The kitten is learning to defend himself and hopefully he can teach Sheila (like the other cats already have) what's appropriate and what isn't.

BTW -- Sheila also "likes" our gerbil.

The only correlations we can see between all of this is (1) small and (2) grey.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

IMM

Whinny loves my cat Phoenix. She'll keep him up on the kitchen cupboard and stare for an hour or more. If he goes to the kitchen she keeps him up there or on the table, I'll get after her and she'll occupy herself for a few minutes then go back to border collie stare

I would discourage the cat obsession, and would do it in a hurry. Cherokee is our cat obesessed Border Collie, she is so obessed that I will need help moving the calves from pen to pen and the cat will come up to see what is going on and no more help from Cherokee, it is like a switch turns on/off in her head and she is like CATTTT OH MY GOSH THERE IS A CAAAAAATTTTTT, GET THE CATTTT, FOLLOW THE CAT, LAY DOWN WITH THE CAT, BE THE CAT. I am sure my yelling at her to get back to her job probably sounds like the teacher on the Penuts cartoons to her. It is my fault, because I thought it was cute at first, now it is just aggravating to the point, I leave her in the pen and will get Lila the ACD to help, and anyone that knows how tempermental ACD's can be know how hard it is to work them sometimes.

We have 7 barn cats, and one inside cat, and Cherokee loves them all. It did start with her obsession with one, then it esculated to all cats, it can and just may happen to your dog also if not taken care of (just a word of advice from someone who has been there) To be honest just thinking about how she obsesses wont listen and will keep going back to the damn cat, it just raises my blood pressure.

I was sitting on the couch last night and here come Cherokee runs into the house and right to the cat, she pushes him around with her sharp pointy nose, so I call her and she runs to me while still looking back at the cat, jumps up on the couch while still staring at the cat, I tell her look at me when I am talking to you, and she takes her paw and smacks me in the face with it while staring at the cat, so I repeat what I just said and then tell her to leave it, so she takes her other paw and places it on her other paw that is now resting on my shoulder while staring at the cat. I finally got her attention off the cat and on me by leashing her then I sent her to bed after I did some obedience with her. It is just so annoying.

wow, 30+ cats?? thats a lot of cat food lol. and uh.. cat poo.

My dog is really interested in cats too. If I'm walking him and he sees a cat he immediately freezes in mid step and stares at it. Kinda like a pointer would to a bird. Im working on it with him and he seems to be noticing them less. unless he's off leash and sees one of the 3 house cats we have, then he'll chase em. But im working on that too.

WOW is right! 30 cats I can hardly manage 2

Shelby is OBBSessed with our kitten as well. completly. which is why training is going slowly. but I let it happen. I have noticed that with her if i let her obsess over mika, she leaves other cats alone, weither outside or inside. but mika is as well obsessed with shelby and I really can't seperate the two. at first mika hated the fact the dog was always at her heels, but the first thing she does after shelby and I come home is go and rub up on the dog.

I would just watch them and you never know this could be the beginning of a life long friendship