BC Boards

Giving your dog a little payback

I saw a thread from last August discussing things people do to drive their dogs crazy. Since we have a bunch of newer puppy owners I thought I'd like to raise the question again.

What do you do to drive your dog as crazy as she/he drives you?

The only thing that really drives her wacko is blowing raspberries (bugler's blow) She thinks there's something terribly important about that but can't figure out for the life her what it is. The look of dumbfoundedness lasts minutes.

I haven't done these things yet but I'm dreaming about them:

Dip the end of her tail in the fines left at the bottom of one of her favorite treats.

Dip the end of her tail in the cats favorite flavor :rolleyes:

Any better ideas?

Teehee - Fergus doesn't need very much at all to drive him crazy - he's a bit of a crazy dog anyway. :rolleyes: Making cat meows, especially if you can do it without obviously moving your mouth, works for both of mine.

Just be careful about the dipping the tail thing - you don't want to set up the obsessive tail-chasing that some dogs engage in. (Although I doubt Meg would ever be bored enough to descend into obsessive tail-chasing! :D )

Well not to my dog.... but I do things to the cat to annoy him because, well, he's a cat. Last night he was sitting on my desk and kept knocking a clip thing onto my keyboard. So... I clipped it to his tail. :rolleyes: He stared at it for a few seconds, then when his tail twitched and it moved too he got annoyed. He was batting at it (playfully) for several minutes before getting it off. Way too much fun. :D

With Zoe.... I like to tap her on the nose and say things like "gotcha!". I grab at her nose and she gets all disgruntled. With another dog I'd be worried about mouthing, but Zoe always stops when I say stop so it's just a fun game we have.

With Dazzy, I cover my mouth and make strange noises - that just makes her go CRAZY!!! she gets all bouncy and waggy and SOOO happy! :rolleyes:

Also if I hide a toy where she can't find it.....she looks at me, stares, then woofs at me until I do something, not barks - woofs! :D

If you saw the ball pictures/videos in the gallery, you'll know that one of those balls is more than enough to keep her busy. However, I've got two of them

If they're BOTH out of the car at the same time, it really does her head in :rolleyes: .

Another way to drive her bonkers is to tell her the cat is here. I only do that when I'm really seeing the cat, but outside it sometimes takes some time before Kessie spots her too. Knowing that the cat is SOMEWHERE but not knowing where drives her crazy :D

"Where's _______?" is usually enough. Saying the name of one of the cats sends him staring into any direction, looking for the cat that's come to end the world. Most of the time she's not there, but if he spots one of them, he'll zip to the coffee table and lie down, chin to the floor, and stares at the cat from under the table. When we say "Where's Brandy?" (the neighbour's dog) Jake goes into a fit. He HATES her! If we're outside, then he'll run for her fence and race alongside it, barking like a madman. If I so much as coo or stick my finger through the fence, Jake goes even more nuts. Territory issues I tell you. (When I would come home from school, I'd have to pass the neighbour's fence before I got to the gate in our backyard, so naturally I'd pay a little attention to Brandy first. That drove Jake nuts, especially since he could hear me cooing but couldn't see a thing. He still remembers it and detests "That Dog." Strangely, though, he once saw her in the front yard of the neighbour's house and he didn't even react, just gave her a friendly wag of his tail and went back to doing what he was doing (staring at the cats). I guess his issue is more with the fence, not Brandy herself, lol

Aussie_Dog - Oreo and Tess are like that too. Dad says when he gets out of the truck at the dog park they both go crazy at the fence barking like madmen... open the gate and let them in and they ignore the other dogs and are perfectly behaved. Something about fences... :rolleyes:

I have been known to kneel on the floor and pet an invisible cat. We don't actually have a cat (probably just as well, Kali HATES cats). Kali watches this performance with intense interest, he knows I wouldn't lie to him :rolleyes: , then appears to figure he's missing something (couldn't be the cat, could it? :confused: ) and comes over to sniff for it. For once, it appears that he can't even believe his nose - so he gives up and retreats to his bed, looking miffed.

Snorri

:D

P.S. - I use Apple Mac computers, on which you can set the audible alerts to a variety of sounds. The older desktop has its alert set to "chu-toy", which means that every time a message springs up, it's accompanied by the sound of a squeaky toy getting a trashing.

Result - two Border Collies dancing about barking their heads off and searching for the "other dog" who has got hold of their toys!

Revenge can be amusing, as well as sweet!

Snorri

:rolleyes:

If we say Rohan (cat) the dog follows him and it completely upsets him, so he'll chase Riven (BC) down the hall and bat her on the rear, and run back up the hall with Riven chasing him.

Riven gets upset if we pay attention to the cat and not her at the same time. Other than that she doesnt really tend to get upset.

Snorri, that is hilarious. :rolleyes:

What do you do to drive your dog as crazy as she/he drives you?
To answer that question, you would first need to define normal as it applies to a Border Collie. IMHO, BC's are naturally crazy, so I would have a difficult time telling the difference...

I drive Speedy nuts by following him while we are at play. This drives him nuts especially if he has a ball in his mouth. He starts trotting around in wider and wider circles to try to get me out from behind him!!

I thought this was going to be a thread where I got to put muddy footprints on them when their going somewhere.

Actually the best one today didnt involve me. Penny ran in and barked once at my african grey and he proceded to bark like a maniac back at her. She ran away terrified.lol

Later when the dogs would sniff the grocery bags he would yell get out of there in my voice.lol

My older Mac desktop also has a function where you can type a document and have the computer read it back to you, aloud.

I type their names, followed by something like "SWEETIES!" (little meaty treats) and have the comp read it out. This provides a great deal of confusion, as they know well that it isn't me speaking, but that I am the usual dispenser of "sweeties" - so they come and whine at me till I "cough up" the goodies, heads swinging between me and the loudspeakers!

Over the years, I've got to be very good at playing mind games with them - mostly in self-defence!

Snorri

:rolleyes:

Not totally the topic but certainly in the same vein , I just crouch next to Tamyr and sniff her like she sniffs everything and everyone , then I shake my head in disbelief and ask "what's the smell , what IS this smell , oh my sainted aunt you've FARTED " and I sniff and snuff and roll eyes and she goes PINK whith embarrassement !!!!

You're evil, Snorri! :rolleyes:

My old KelpiexBorder Collie bitch did chase the RAAF Roulettes (aerobatic team) out of the sky over our house once. They appeared off the end of our lawn, and she raced after them, barking fiercely - and they disappeared and didn't come back! Good Jessie!

when I am sick and tired of throwing toys for Happy, I will take the toy she give me and act pleaslently suprised then I go through this dialoge:

"WOW! I LOVE the gift Happy! what a WONDERFUL present, I LOVE it!"

all the while I act absolutly enthrwled by the object, and if she tried to take it back I pull it away and go:

"hey! you cant take my present away! I am just gonna put it somewhere EXTRA safe"

then I hide the toy. she used to try to get it back, but I would just continuously chat with her about what a wonderful gift it was, so now she just stares at me with her mouth agap, and gets another toy lol

If I'm feeling particularly evil, I will say "Woah, look at that squirrel (cat, puppy, dog, bunny)!" This phrases result in the two dogs acting like maniacs. Sarah will jump up onto her window seat and Sydney's front paws will be scrambling on the window seat (she's not allowed all the way up, according to Sarah). It's even funnier when there is not a dog, cat, etc. lol.

P1010048.jpg

And this is the look we get if we say either magic word "outside" or "park." This is accompanied by some type of native dog dance and a demanding sound of roww-roww-rowwwwwww. (We do not tease this one, however.)

P1010049.jpg

Also, Sarah has a lovely reaction to the doorbell sound on the Domino's pizza commercial. It is the same as our actual doorbell, and anytime that commercial is on anywhere in the house at anytime of day, Sarah immediately growls and makes gruffing sounds. She cracks me up.

~Kelly :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tassie:

[QB]You're evil, Snorri! :rolleyes:

]

I do my best! When Kali was a puppy, he seemed to be remarkably good at finding new ways to rig me up! So I decided that if it was fair for him to tease me, it was fair for me to tease him! Besides, what's the point of having a BC pup if you can't wind him up a bit, from time to time?

Now that he's getting to be an "old boy" (12), I don't tease him - instead, he gets through to the bedroom whenever I have a lie-in, so that he gets a bit of "quality time" to "re-bond". He still tries to pull the covers off :eek: , but he gets his morning cuddle every day: I don't know how many mornings he may have left now, but I don't want even to miss one!

Now, it has passed 6 pm (UK time), and it's time to feed him!

Snorri