BC Boards

introducing large group of dogs

ok, i'm back for more advice from you wonderful people!

here's the good news: i'm in love!!! i met a wonderful guy and we've been dating for a while, and it's definetly love.

the problem: he has 2 dogs at his place, and i have 2 at mine. we spend all our time at his house with his dogs on the weekends. (i have a roomate who takes cares of my dogs -and loves them to death- on the weekends.)

we'll evetually want to introduce the dogs, and i am trying to figure out the easiest way possible.

our dogs are very similar. all 4 are about the same size (50-70 pounds), mixed breed older rescues. he has a male and female, as do i.

his male dog tends to hump other dogs at the dog park. my male dog tends to mark his territory. all 4 dogs are fixed.

would it work if we met up at a local dog park and just let them all run loose and get to sniff each other out? then maybe bring them back to his house? i was thinking we could get back to his house and then let them all run around the yard and get to know each other more before we all went inside.

any tips or tricks???

First than all, they should meet in a neutral area, even a park that is new for all of them, if you to the park of your boyfriend dogs, they still can think of part of their territory. Second, I would make meet the dogs one by one, the dogs, specially the males, can become protective about their females.

catu- you said something about having them meet one by one..... should i just bring one of my dogs and he would bring one of his to a neutral place? is there any order to this?

i am wondering if the male dogs should meet first, or if we should introduce them male/female?

again, thanks to everyone for all the help on this question and all the others i've had over the last 2 years!

I think you need to know your dogs. I think the worry with multiple dogs is that they can "gang up" sometimes - with their buddies nearby sometimes they get even more territorial, group mentality.

Definitely a neutral place is the best idea to test the waters, see how it goes. And just know the dog. We didn't worry much when we introduced Zeeke to Zoe, because he's great with other dogs. We didn't even go to a neutral location, she was a submissive pup who wasn't going to cause him any problems. And sure enough they were playing with each other within an hour of her coming home.

If it were Oreo I was introducing, it would be in a neutral location and I'd watch carefully. She gets cranky.

Good luck!!

I think the biggest question is, how do the 4 dogs act around strange dogs? If they are used to going to a dog park and meeting strange dogs, there shouldn't be a problem. If any of the 4 have problems with strange dogs, those are the ones I would work on first. If they have always been ok at dog parks, I would just let them meet at the dog park. If all goes well, before you leave, I would leash the 4 and walk back to your cars together. Then at the BFs house, letting them lose in the backyard is an excellent idea, but they should go in together. Play some fun games and see how it goes. If there is any food left down, I would put it up before bringing them in.

If any probs arise, then that will have to be dealt with, but it sounds like all dogs are ok at a dog park, so I think they will be ok.

Good luck you and BF! And good luck to 4 lucky dogs!

Originally posted by glittergirl1970:

i am wondering if the male dogs should meet first, or if we should introduce them male/female?

I would do male/male first. (or female female). the reason being, if you did male/female - the male that goes with the female would smell another male dog on "his" girl. That might make them enemies right from the start.

The fact that they are all fixed WILL help a lot, but still, meeting male/male you would have to keep a close eye. But I just don't like the idea of meeting them male/female either.

And yes a neutral place. One that NONE of the dogs has ever been to before would really help out. That should stop them from being at all territorial - well, that is the idea anyway.

BTW, Congrats!