BC Boards

Border Collie or Aussie

I got Skye about 2 months ago from the Australian Shepherd Rescue. I am wondering now if she is actually a red merle Border collie.

My trainer brought her red merle border collie to our last class last night, and her and Skye could almost be littermates, it was uncanny. She swears Skye is a BC, but the ARPH lady says she thinks she is just a small Aussie.

She is about 18" at the withers (perhaps a little smaller) she weighs 32lbs at 8-10months of age. She is fairly light boned (not like a lot of the aussies I have seen). Her muzzle is also a lot more narrow than most aussies, and of course she has a tail.

She does not have "eye" that I seen (have only had her around sheep once, and that was outside a pen). When she tries to herd other dogs and the kids she works them very close (nips at the rear and shoulders).

Here are a few pictures, they aren't great I will see if I can get some better ones outside in better light. Or if there is a better position for me to get her in (not easy she isn't very cooperative in positioning) let me know.

P1000935.jpg

P1000940.jpg

P1000948.jpg

P1000950.jpg

I think that's a BC face if Ive ever seen one :rolleyes: Looks BC to me. Regardless of what she is she is GORGEOUS! WOW!!!

Originally posted by BorderC:

Aussies dont have tails, so I'd say it's a border Well I guess they do have tails but they are naturally docked, or bobtailed.

Aussie's are born with full tails and are docked by breeders. I've heard it's VERY uncommon to find an aussie w/ a tail.

I think the pup pictured could easily be a mix.

I was just about to say that River. However, in rescue if they get an Aussie that has pups they don't always dock tails - and there are a few (very few, cuz they of course can't show) aussies with tails.

The face is very sharp - most Aussies are like you said more square. A friend of mine (who has aussies) just got a pup and he has a very square muzzle, and a stocky body. Maybe it is a BC/Aussie mix? The face does look very BC though!! And WHAT a cutie!! :rolleyes:

Could be both as far as I know...anyway, she's a cutie and I love her colouring, including the blue eyes!

Quick question: WHY are Aussies' tails docked?! I know an Aussie with a tail and there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a normal dog tail, so why not leave them where they are? Of course, show breeders do all kinds of things :mad: , but Kat's post implied that some rescues might do it too - why? :confused:

Aussie's are born with full tails and are docked by breeders. I've heard it's VERY uncommon to find an aussie w/ a tail.
Oh wow. I didn't know that lol. Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder what australian shepherd breeders in Australia are going to do now? I don't know if Australia is the actual origin of the breed or how popular they are to breed there, just wondering.

"Tail docking is now banned in all states of Australia. The legislation came into effect at different times for different states, but by the beginning of 2003, it was banned in all states. It may still be carried out by a veterinary surgeon for "therapeutic and prophylactic reasons", but few vets are prepared to do it. Breeders are totally banned from docking.

Fines are up to $15,000, although we are not aware of any prosecutions to date."

I've had some experience with working-bred Aussies and acquaintance with conformation-bred Aussies - I think that beautiful dog in question is most likely an Aussie.

Looking at the face (eyes and muzzle) and ears in particular, as well as the set of the hindlegs and the "pantaloons", I would vote for Aussie. For all anyone knows, it could be a Border Collie or cross, but my guess is there is at least a good deal of Aussie there. Aussies and Border Collies are both great breeds. Either way, you have a super dog.

In our area, Australian Shepherd rescue folks often "bail out" Border Collies and get them into Border Collie rescue or other suitable rescue.

Aussies may be born with anything from no tail at all to a full tail. Many are born with naturally short tails. It is not true that they are all born with full tails. Those born with longer tails are usually docked.

The docking of tails in a number of breeds was a tradition to prevent the accumulation of burrs, mud, and other material in the tail where it couldn't readily be removed (just like in draft horses). That's not to say it's right but that's why it originated in some breeds, as a matter of practicality.

I wonder what australian shepherd breeders in Australia are going to do now? I don't know if Australia is the actual origin of the breed or how popular they are to breed there, just wondering.
The Australian Shepherd has nothing to do with Australia. It is a breed developed as a ranch dog in the western United States.

This is a beautiful dog and I'm happy to hear you have given her a loving home! Best wishes!

Leah - I met a dog very similar in appearance to the one in question and, when I complimented the man on his lovely "Border Collie", he told me she was a purebred Aussie. The combination on this dog of the muzzle, eyes, ears, and hindquarters with their typical Aussie "pants" just says "Aussie" to me rather than Border Collie. Who's to know for sure?

A sweet dog with a loving home is the important issue at hand, not the breed.

See that's the debate I've been having about Lilly too. Her coloring is completely different, she'a a tri, but the fuzz on her ears are exactly like that. The ears seem lower set then most air-plane eared bc's. Her muzzle is sharp, and her eyes are exactly the same set. She is tall at 6 months, 26 inches at the shoulder, light boned, and now weighs 46 pounds, and is quite lean.

here's a pic at 4 months

DSCF1910.jpg

And here's her face at 6 months.

DSCF2024.jpg

Also I have seen very few bc's without blazes on their noses, but it seems more common in aussies.

My theory is she's an aussie cross, but other then size, your cute bc has a very similar build.

Maybe even a English Shepherd, though they seem rather rare, so probably not. They are similar breed so to some extent for my non-working farm dog, she is perfect for us.

Who knows,

My vote is for Border collie X Aussie - maybe 3/4 Aussie, even - on Skye. But I certainly have seen very Border collie looking Aussies - dogs that even work a little more stylishly.

Rosefarm, you dog looks a lot like an English shepherd, but as you pointed out, they are rare and one shouldn't look for zebras when one hears hoof beats.

I worked with a purebred, registered Aussie that looks exactly like that pup minus the tail. He was only 35 lbs full grown. As a pup I would have said BC without a tail, but once he filled out as an adult he was clearly an Aussie. He also had no eye, bounced around, etc.

Thanks guys, obviously it matters not one bit "what" she is, but people ask me all the time, and I was just curious.

My gut feeling is that she is aussie, just by her behavior and the way she moves and some of the features you guys pointed out (ear set, skirt)

Like I said just curious, she is just a joy and we are chomping at the bit to get into Aglilty (if we didn't live in the city we would probably do herding)

Rosefarm - I could easily guess your youngster as part or even all Aussie. But even an occasional Border Collie can show those low-set "spaniel ears".

Like all good purpose-bred dogs, there can be quite a bit of variability when folks are breeding for the work and not the looks. The same can also be said of folks who are not breeding for the show ring for whatever purpose, but not for the same good reasons as breeding for the work, such as backyard-breeders.

My friend's working-bred Aussie and my working-bred Aussie don't look a lot alike. My Mac runs about 60-65# and is a large, blocky tri-colored dog with a hefty coat, a long back, and a naturally short tail. Her Cowboy runs about 40# and is a very compact, self-colored (no white) merle with a finer and thinner coat and less "trimmings", and with absolutely no tail naturally. But they both have those "Aussie ears" and the trimmings, and a loose-eyed, upright working style, and definite Aussie personalities.

They are all good dogs!

Great looking dog! Honestly, I'm not sure whether she's an Aussie or BC. My first thought was BC because she's not a huge, bear-like thing as so many show Aussies are . . . but she could be a working Aussie.

On the other hand I have a BC that looks a lot like her. Same low ear set, same fuzzy butt . . . Appearance varies so much in the Border Collie, I think anything's possible.

Carlasl, I think Rolf has an Aussie, with tail that has very similar coloring as well. I think in the photo gallery there are some pics.

Sue R and Rebecca, I think she's an aussie too, or some mix thereof, I really like aussies's, so not a problem, though possibly I don't belong here :rolleyes:

But I really like some of the advice I read on this forum, so I linger. So far my first experience with such breeds, I just love them and can see adding some day with a bc as well.

--Denise

Originally posted by Dal & Mad's Mom:

I had a friend who had aussie pups this morning the count is 3 merle and 3 black tri.

3 with tails and 3 without. She said the 3 with tails will have them removed on Monday at the vet.

Oh wow. I read they did have tails. Guess the source wasn't quite accurate. I personally like dogs with tails which is one reason why I'd never consider an aussie.

Originally posted by leahluvsherpups:

I have to agree with Sue. The ears are an Aussie dead give away, tent head as I call it, as well as the stout muzzle.

Isn't that funny? I was going to comment on her longer, narrower muzzle not being consistent with most of the Aussies we see The pantaloons scream Aussie to me though - while I see many BCs with long pantaloons, the ones that stick straight out always indicate an Aussie

I am generally pretty good at telling the difference, but sometimes I am stumped The behaviour will usually make the difference though, as they are so different. We rarely see any merles, much less red merles, in rescue here, but I know it's different in other areas.

RDM

MrSnappy, good point about the "pantaloons". Even my BC's fuzzy butt hair lays relatively flat compared to that pup's.

Her muzzle looks BC to me. But, then again, I have had very little exposure to anything but the smush-faced, cookie-cutter show Aussies. That longer, narrower muzzle may be common in Aussies. I don't know the breed as well as I'd like to, but I do love the Aussies I've met. Very neat dogs.

Goodness, it's so hard to tell...I vote mostly Aussie for Skye, but the muzzle looks bc, so how about a mix?

And Denise, Lily is tall! Wow. I think she's got a lot of Aussie in her, too. But no, that doesn't mean you don't belong here. My dog might not be a border collie mix, either. Depends on who you ask! :rolleyes: I say, the more the merrier! I've learned a lot by being here, either way.