BC Boards

"We Do NOT Export To Asia"

jdarling

www.dogsinasia.com

Is anyone familiar with this site? Why do I only run into this at the bottom of the show breeder websites? Does anyone have any idea how accurate the statement on this website are? For instance:

"2 million dogs and cats slaughtered every year for their fur coat and the food table."

Linked to that site is: THIS ONE

A Chinese National was quoted as saying:

"In China ,there are no breeders, only puppy mills. No one realizes how important it is to do selective breeding, they only know to get good dogs for breeding then sell puppies for money ... Many pet owners still think desexing is cruel to animals. In China, there is not any law to protect domestic animals."

I mean ... how big of a problem is this to us here in the States? First off, how many breeders would ship puppies to other countries without really knowing the person personally or by reputation? Secondly, we eat cows. I know they are considered sacred in other countries and those people are horrified that we eat them. In some countries, canine consumption is the norm, I guess. So, who are we to judge?

But I am interested to know if anyone has also noticed the trend that the "We do NOT export to Asia" slogan and website seem to be found only on show breeder websites, or is it my imagination? Why them? What am I missing?

Jodi

I'm familiar with this website. Although I believe it's mostly show breeders that this is connected with, it really isn't limited to show breeders. Some of the big names in BC show dogs have exported to China.

This issue has also been discussed on these boards a year or two ago. Much of the argument at that time was to fix what's in your own backyard before criticizing another country. IMO, wrong is wrong, no matter where the geographical location is of the issue/concern. It probably wouldn't be an issue anyway, if some of these dollar grabbing breeders couldn't ship their pups fast enough to China for big $$$, it would be much easier then to concentrate on fixing "our own backyard". But since that's not the case, then these breeders should be exposed, whether show breeders or any other kind of breeders, and I agree with the general premise of the site.

www.dogsinasia.com

Is anyone familiar with this site? Why do I only run into this at the bottom of the show breeder websites? Does anyone have any idea how accurate the statement on this website are? For instance:

"2 million dogs and cats slaughtered every year for their fur coat and the food table."

Linked to that site is: THIS ONE

A Chinese National was quoted as saying:

"In China ,there are no breeders, only puppy mills. No one realizes how important it is to do selective breeding, they only know to get good dogs for breeding then sell puppies for money ... Many pet owners still think desexing is cruel to animals. In China, there is not any law to protect domestic animals."

I mean ... how big of a problem is this to us here in the States? First off, how many breeders would ship puppies to other countries without really knowing the person personally or by reputation? Secondly, we eat cows. I know they are considered sacred in other countries and those people are horrified that we eat them. In some countries, canine consumption is the norm, I guess. So, who are we to judge?

But I am interested to know if anyone has also noticed the trend that the "We do NOT export to Asia" slogan and website seem to be found only on show breeder websites, or is it my imagination? Why them? What am I missing?

Jodi

I am familiar with it and it is mostly show breeders who are targeted, presumably for the long beautiful coats of the show border collies. There's a story about a Chinese man who went to Australia several years ago and left with nine border collies...such a shame. They are one of the most sought-after breeds by the Chinese, along with Golden Retrievers and St. Bernards. I have always been anti-fur, but after learning about that, I'm an advocate against it. It's sad how many breeders don't realize the importance of spaying/neutering a puppy before placing it in its new home. Without the ability to breed, it's of no use as a fur-producer in an Asian puppy mill. It's not worth the time or expense to import a dog that can't reproduce....

I think there has been a growing interest in China in the dog show culture and with a more affluent class of people, buying a show dog from another country is not uncommon. And I'm sure that for the most part, these dogs who are bought at these big prices, live decent lives. Where I see a problem is the dog used widely for breeding and the pups who are not up to snuff -- well, their fate might be pretty bad. It's not the eating of dog, it's how the dog dies for the table or for anything else. Yes, I know there are a lot of things to perfect in this country, but as long as some breeder whose eyes bug out at a large sum of money, continues to do business, then maybe it is our right to extend our concern beyond our own borders. Oh, and maybe some of them come back in the form of furry and pretty chachki's that someone in the US can place on their lamp table or desk.

This issue has also been discussed on these boards a year or two ago. Much of the argument at that time was to fix what's in your own backyard before criticizing another country. IMO, wrong is wrong, no matter where the geographical location is of the issue/concern.

Well, you might not want to limit your concern to your own backyard, but one advantage of concentrating at least on your own country is that you're not only in a better position to do something about it, you're also in a better position to know what you're talking about. It's pretty much impossible for nearly all of us here in the US to ascertain the truth about the overall situation in Asia as a whole, or even in China alone; what we hear is double and triple hearsay, often from people who themselves are in no position to know.

The only websites I've ever seen this stuff on are those of Kennel Club breeders, mainly show breeders. To me, it's part of the KC brag culture -- "We test for everything including eyebrow dysplasia, and we do not export to Asia -- that's what wonderful breeders we are." I would be a lot more impressed if they said, "We don't sell pups to people we don't know anything about." Seems like a good rule to me, and avoids the apparent racism of attributing evil to an entire racial or ethnic group. I could post some pictures of US puppy mills that would probably make plenty of people in other countries think they should not export to the US, if they were given to sweeping generalizations.