BC Boards

A strange cough

Lunar

I know I haven't been around in a long time... I've been working full-time and volunteering and my mind is not really on the pets lately (though I happen to have three of the four piled on me at the moment). But I have a question and thought, now where is the best place to ask that...

For the past few weeks/months (not sure how long) Zoe has been doing this very weird cough. It's not a kennel-cough kind of cough... it's a very wet inhaling, gasping cough. It's usually after she drinks water, though not necessarily right away. The first while I just wrote it off as her choking on the water, but it happens every day now. Either she's an idiot (always a possibility - she is my blondie), or there's something that needs to be reconsidered here.

Has anyone encountered this before, anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it's almost time for her yearly checkup so I'll certainly mention it there... just curious as to what the heck it is.

Our old rescue girl Ness did that for a few weeks. We brought her to the vet, and they tried to see it in action by having her drink from a bowl - of course she didn't do the cough then! They did establish that her "drinking muscles" were in fine shapes, so that was reassuring. She stopped the cough a few days later, and was fine thereafter.

Susan

Hey Natalie, nice to see you back! I've noticed your absence (and Zoe's) from the boards. Glad to know you're doing alright. I agree that a persistent cough is good reason to have a vet check. Its one of those symptoms, (like "flu-like" symptoms) that could be so many things...or nothing much at all. I hope it's the latter.

I have this suspicion that it's just her being an idiot... but I've been wrong before. I guess it's time for that yearly vet visit, sooner rather than later! Oh she'll love me for that. (And I will NEVER get her to do it for the vet.... I don't think I could even get her to drink or eat anything at the vet's. I can, however, get her to poop at the vet's... that's never a problem! Oy.)