BC Boards

Wall Mount Dog Door

Since my oldest dog is now approaching 9 I would like to make life easier for her (and the other two) by adding a dog door that opens into a small outdoor kennel where they can relieve themselves whenever they need to. Due to my living conditions my only option is to go through the wall with the door.

I'm pricing local places and mail order for doors.

Mostly the local places only carry PetSafe brand. I've read some pretty awful reviews for their products. But it fits my budget (if I don't have to constantly replace/repair the thing).

The specialized mail order places that really handle just pet doors have some great looking products. And good reviews. But HOLY COW!! Very expensive! I'm looking at Hale, Endura Flap, and Ruff Weather. I don't mind spending the big bucks for a quality product (well, I mind but if I don't have to replace the door it will be worth it in the long run!)

Anyone on these boards use a wall mount dog door and have a recomendation?

TIA

Jennifer

I had a Ruff Weather installed in my wall a couple of years ago. With three dogs using it, it's holding up just fine. I'll need to replace the weather flaps in a while, but we don't typically get weather extremes. Mine opens onto my screened porch. The only thing I'd do differently is get the med size instead of the large. The dogs could still easily fit through.

Ordinarily, I'd feel uncomfortable having a dog door that (albeit) a very small person could possibly squeeze through, but if a stranger chooses to come face to face with Boo via the dog door, they're unlikely to want to stick around. I'd like to be there to watch though! :rolleyes:

I had a Hale dog door installed through the wall 5 1/2 years ago. I love the double flaps. The wind has never blown it open. The interior flap recently started tearing at the top but is still functional. The door gets a lot of use. It comes with a tinted plexiglass insert that locks into place. The down side is the dogs couldn't tell it's in place and would run into it and we didn't always notice either and have locked them in. I put a big X and the word closed in reflective tape on it. The word closed registers in my brain better than the X. I chose the dog door that would fit between the studs and got the tallest size for that width because I didn't want to replace it. It's installed about two inches from the floor on the inside and is about 5 inches from the deck on the outside. We had a small dog at the time. If I had the dogs then that I do now I would have installed it a bit higher.

We have a PetSafe door. It works okay, but it doesn't get much use. I have several complaints about it: The flaps are really heavy & if they're not adjusted just right, they get stuck. Not a problem for the younger dogs (they just slam into it), but my sister's ancient BC has trouble pushing it open. The solid plastic cover that fits over the interior to "close" the door falls off all the time. And maybe it was our door, but the door was a pain to install!

I'm unsure how much use the door will get since its really only going out to a small run. But I'm a big believer in do it right the first time. In the future I may extend the run into a larger area and I'm sure in that case the door will get lots of use, at least from the young one.

Looks like I'll be going with the Hale. Of course its the most expensive one!

Thanks again

Jennifer