BC Boards

prozac?

Chiming in late on the discussion...

I put my dog Kaylee on Prozac last summer. I've discussed her behaviors on this board in other posts: she's a compulsive shadow-chaser, compulsive to the point of fixating on shadows so hard she couldn't be pulled out of it, until she would just sit, staring, addled and drooling, even snapping a bit if I tried to pull her head away.

Prozac has not affected her in any negative way. She still chases shadows or reflections, but not as much, and now I can call her out of it and distract her: she's not pixie-led to the point of catatonia. In general, she's a happy, still-hyper young BC. We're still working on her adolescent issues: this is not a behavior-fixing pill. She's just a lot more amenable to training than she was before. And boy, does she relish the little ritual of her morning 'cheese', a little ball of cheddar with the capsule included.

I've had some people think I was joking when I told them she was on Prozac. Some insensitive types think it's funny that a dog is on a human psych medication, I guess. Now I just say she's on a prescription for her condition, if they notice it.

And I'll post my warning again: don't EVER play with your BC with a laser light or flashlight! That's what triggered Kaylee's condition. Pair the BC visual acuity with the work ethic, throw in some lack-of-exercise frustration, and apply an impossible target: it's a recipe for disaster. I'm glad it wasn't me that did it to her, I'd be rotten with guilt.

My dog has been on the Prozac now for about four days and I cant believe the improvement in her. She is happy and relaxed and seems alot more happy and less stressed. I have not been able to feed my dogs together since I got her as a puppy now they all able to eat together and she even lays down to eat her food!!!!

She plays alot more with my other dogs playing ball and tug of war etc. She always did heavy breathing all night when she slept at night that has stopped to. So that must have been because of anxiety? Everyone in our house is commenting how good she is!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog has been on the Prozac now for about four days and I cant believe the improvement in her. She is happy and relaxed and seems alot more happy and less stressed. I have not been able to feed my dogs together since I got her as a puppy now they all able to eat together and she even lays down to eat her food!!!!

She plays alot more with my other dogs playing ball and tug of war etc. She always did heavy breathing all night when she slept at night that has stopped to. So that must have been because of anxiety? Everyone in our house is commenting how good she is!!!

That's great to hear, but do not get too relaxed just yet! Prozac takes weeks to reach theraputic levels in dogs. Even after it reaches steady state in her body she will not be a "new" dog, just the same dog with a longer fuse. She can still blow up given the right situation.

The panting at night could have been anxiety.

jenkshipley I do have the book Control Unleashed, it is on the shelf for the time being because Kya isn't able to do much in behavior training right now. She has such a short fuse and her attention span is nothing. Her aggression has now turned to fear based and she only wants to hide most of the day. She goes off at the other dogs in a heartbeat so I am always watching to stop things before they happen.

All the blood work came back normal and she started the Alprazolam, didn't work. Now she is taking Fluoxetine (Prozac). It's only been 5 days so it's too soon to tell if this will help.

These are only a few things that can/will set her off.

Brushing my hair or teeth.

Making the bed.

Typing on the computer.

Taking out the garbage.

Reading the paper.

Going to bed.

Saying good bye on the phone.

The list goes on.

Now on the other side things she loves.

Vacuum cleaner.

Hair dryer.

Tractor.

Snow blower.

Broom.

I thought they would all be sound related but that's not the case. I'm hoping when the Prozac kicks in she will be more calm and we can start working on these things. But until then we are going day by day.

We are and have been working with a behaviorist for a while now with some other issues. If anyone has any suggestions I am more than open to hearing them.