BC Boards

Favorite Agility Organization(s)

I thought this would be fun... I was just wondering what everyone's favorite agility organization to compete in was and why.

My favorite currently is NADAC (although I guess that's mainly because the only two agility organizations out here are NADAC and AKC... but we are getting USDAA in April!) I love how their courses are flowing and smooth, they really give the dog a chance to open out and run. I also really enjoy the distance work in Chances and such. Also, the people in NADAC around here are more in it just to have fun with their dog. Qualifying is nice to, but the main purpose is to have fun with their dog.

We love NADAC. I enjoy their smooth courses and feel like they are very dog friendly and great for timid dogs and new handlers. I train w/ most AKC people and some of the courses they design are horrible. There's nothing worse than watching a poor novice dog who is just figuring out the game have to deal w/ harsh turns and call offs, you can just see them shutting down every step. We don't have much USDAA around here so haven't gotten into it, but I do have some friends who run CPE and love it.

I currently run Lucia in NADAC (Grady will be old enough in Sept :rolleyes:) I like it a lot. It's VERY beginner friendly and doesn't scare away newbie handlers. Like someone else said, AKC is rough on beginners. Handlers and dogs alike. There is no way Grady could handle an AKC course at this point in life. Lucia is just getting a handle on this type of course and she's three. USDAA is something I would LOVE to try. Their courses look flowing with lots of need for good handling skills. I volunteered for a CPE trial recently and like their courses too. VERY newbie friendly but a bit more challenging than NADAC.

I may not be super new at trialing (2 seasons now), but overall friendliness of the people is as important to me as the course designs. As cool as it is to show off winning ribbons, it MUST be fun too!

Angel.....where do you live in ID? I live in WY and compete in MT along RT 90. Belgrade, Billings, Bozeman, Helena, Etc. Could we have run into each other?

I've looked at trialing in Caldwell, but it's just so far away. I travel 3-5 hours now as it is. I've only had the luxury of staying at home for one trial and it was when I visited my folks in NY. The trial site was 40 min away :D It was awesome to go home each night!

I usually camp out at the trial sites because most of ours are at horse barns and they let you camp out in the pasture or parking lot. Kinda sucks on those REALLY hot summer weekends without a shower, but it's free unless you have to hook up a trailer. Babywipes and a barn hose go a long way :D I went to a trial in Billings, MT last Sept and ended up renting a cabin at a KOA because the day I got there we got 15" of snow :rolleyes: It was a looooong weekend....LOL! Made me appreciate the summer heat :D

Good luck at the trial!

I love CPE Agility. It is way too fun. The atmosphere is usually great, the games are a blast to learn and to play, and the courses are usually very enjoyable.

I've done a bit of NADAC and I like that, too.

Haven't tried any of the other venues yet.

So far I have only done NADAC, and I have enjoyed it a lot! The people were so nice to me, especially the judges, they had a lot of patience for my beginning self. I started out as a JHer training by myself with a dog who didnt listen very well lol. We've improved a lot, but I dont think if I started out in AKC or USDAA I would still be doing it. I plan do to USDAA later this year though, I am excited for that! I am also trying out DOCNA in the spring, thats gonna be interesting. The people so far I have talked to have all been really friendly, the show sec. has answered all of my incredibly newbie questions even though they are probably really obvious and I am just paranoid. They said they are really newbie friendly and have been doing briefings before every games run, so I am really looking forward to that.

Who knows. My favorite venues basically depend on the people and attitude. I am not really into competing to win, more to compete to play with my dogs, if other people are in agility to be really competitive thats cool by me, but right now I think I just want to surround myself with happy people :rolleyes:

Diane

I love USDAA its my favorite out of the big 3 in the area, its challenging, offering both handler and dog challenges a course can be fast and open or technical. I did NADAC long time ago when they still actually had equipment ie tire, teter, table ect. and didnt involve strange games like hoopers. AKC was a major waste of time and money. Im getting back into NADAC though since my instructor is a NADAC judge and the club puts on NADAC trials. NADAC is great for bringing out a green baby dog though since you are able to train in the ring, and Whim does love those wide open courses

I've looked at trialing in Caldwell, but it's just so far away. I travel 3-5 hours now as it is. I've only had the luxury of staying at home for one trial and it was when I visited my folks in NY. The trial site was 40 min away :D It was awesome to go home each night!

I usually camp out at the trial sites because most of ours are at horse barns and they let you camp out in the pasture or parking lot. Kinda sucks on those REALLY hot summer weekends without a shower, but it's free unless you have to hook up a trailer. Babywipes and a barn hose go a long way :D I went to a trial in Billings, MT last Sept and ended up renting a cabin at a KOA because the day I got there we got 15" of snow :rolleyes: It was a looooong weekend....LOL! Made me appreciate the summer heat :D

Good luck at the trial!

15" of snow does not sound fun (especially camping in it :D ) at least you got a cabin!

I like AKC for a couple of different reasons. First most the trials here are AKC so theres a lot of availability. Second, it is pretty competitive. And third, the jump heights are reasonable. My only dislike is it is a lot of "hurry up and wait" I will get to a show at 7am and sometimes be there till 5 or 6 to have 3 runs.... it can get very tiresome if you run FAST along with Stnd and JWW.

I also like CPE, but it is a bit easy and not as competitive for me... its a good break to relax and have fun.

USDAA is very competitive and I like a lot of things about them, but I am very dissappointed in their jump heights for the regular Championship division. My Sheltie at 16 3/8" would have to jump 22"!!! I find it a bit outrageous... I would prefer to do the Championship division since most the USDAAs are a few hours drive rather than only about an hour to most the AKCs I go to, it would be a lot of money to spend just for the "Performance" division. Again, I guess just a preference of mine. I will be doing USDAA with Foxy though.

I havent ever really been interested in NADAC, with the rule changes and a lot of the straight lines they use in courses, and weird games such as hoopers.

I also like CPE, but it is a bit easy and not as competitive for me... its a good break to relax and have fun.

CPE is starting to get more challenging. The courses I did at a trial a couple of weeks ago were the toughest I've done yet! And that was at Level 2, for the most part.

It was still relaxing and fun, but the bar is beginning to get set just a bit higher.

Of course if you are in a high level in another venue, you wouldn't think so, but for someone used to CPE, it was tough enough to throw me for a bit of a loop!

• 3 weeks later...
USDAA is very competitive and I like a lot of things about them, but I am very dissappointed in their jump heights for the regular Championship division. My Sheltie at 16 3/8" would have to jump 22"!!! I find it a bit outrageous... I would prefer to do the Championship division since most the USDAAs are a few hours drive rather than only about an hour to most the AKCs I go to, it would be a lot of money to spend just for the "Performance" division. Again, I guess just a preference of mine. I will be doing USDAA with Foxy though.

Depending on your area, Performance can be pretty competitive. The larger the trial, the more Performance competition. It definitely is very competitive at the Regional and National level. Most people don't look down on "Performance" as you appear to come across as doing in your above post. Performance runs the same courses, has the same rules, it's not "second-class."

The jump heights aren't outrageous, just competitive IMO. Of course, if your dog is on the wrong side of the cut-off, then it may appear that way.

As for my faves, USDAA hands down is the best. Next is AAC. Those are the only two I'll travel for. If there's nothing else going on, I'll do local CPE and ASCA. NADAC bores me to tears, way too simple, requires no brain activity and doesn't even have all the obstacles. I won't touch ACK with a 100' pole, mainly because I'm anti-ACK. But even if the thought of anything ACK didn't make my skin crawl, I probably still wouldn't do it, even with trials almost every weekend around here. The courses are usually too demotivating for most dogs, with little flow. Of course there are some judges out there with decent courses, but it's too varied in judges to get those courses consistently. Plus they have a lot of stupid rules (e.g. what you can wear) and you shouldn't be allowed an off-course and still Q at any level IMO!