BC Boards

Sooo Mad!! (What Would You Do?)*Long*

I had my two pups out in the yard on their 6 ft leashes, and Poppy was pooping so I was following along behind him, erm, picking it up, and Pepper was off to the side.

Well the little boy next door comes out and stares at us.

The whole family is Russian and they hate dogs. More from fear than anything else.

Well here he comes into the yard now, lunging at them and barking and growling at my pups. Right in front of his lazy no good mother who does NOTHING!!!

So I just ignored him and then the third time just looked at him, as I was after all, trying to pick up poop and was thinking now what?!

So as he did not get a reaction from the two pups, he runs at Pepper and kicks her!!! She just got spayed on the 23rd!!!

Man I blew up!!!

This is the second time he has done this- only this time he got her, and so she came running to me. So I told him if he ever did it again he was going to be in a world of crap coz I'd kick his butt!!

Then, I looked up and the mother was sitting there watching and yet, did nothing!!! She only called him back.(Now if the grandma had been there she would have kicked his butt).

Now I have to tell you a couple things. This neighbor kid is only 4. He has teased our neighbor's dogs through the fence to the point now that they go after my son when he walks by with me and they used to like him!! The neighbor's are at their wit's end with it also. They have also tried talking to the parents but to no avail...

Oh- and the first day we got Pepper this kid attempted to kick her when we were all out in our yard and she was only 8 weeks old. He missed however.

Now I let it go due to his age, but the neighbor's last week asked me how I am dealing with it and I told them my pup's are never off leash in the yard or alone so I don't really have a problem.

That's when they told me they have had to report him to animal control a few times. They told me if he gets reported one more time they are going to remove him to a foster home. Didn't know they could do that! They also told me that they would love to let their dogs run loose and bite him! Although I told them, that they better not bite my son who also plays out there sometimes(if the bully isn't out as he also beats on the others kids bloodying them up).

Anyhow talking to the mother gets me nowhere. She just stares at me.

Calling police got me laughed at.

Now, I am to call animal control tommorow, as today is a holiday.

But man what happens if he does it again and Pepper (or Poppy)bites the brat?! I just got her over her fear of him!! It took me a month as his going after her on day one pretty much set Pepper against him from the start!!

But this brat actually runs up to the dogs and trys to hit them when they are on leash with me!!

I don't want to lose me dogs if they bite him. This doesn't seem very fair...I mean I can't swat him if he does it again- and trust me I AM sooo tempted!!!

~Phew~

Sooo anyhow, what would you do?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh JEEZ. You just want to run up to the mom and smack HER. Definitely call animal control and hope that helps... but dang, I dunno what you can do in that situation?? Though I'd be mighty tempted to smack the brat... doubt THAT would go over well with the mom. Or anyone else like the police, for that matter. GRRRR.

I think if I were you I'd just stay away from that kid. If he's out there, walk away. Even mid-poop-scoop. Put yourself between the dogs and him and get in his face if you have to (like, body-block to prevent him to getting to your dogs).

If any kid tried that to Oreo.... well she wouldn't just hide, that's for sure.

Oh people like that make my blood boil. How could she just sit there and let her kid do that.

Yikes - you poor thing. Quick response - definitely call animal control and report the incident - and the background. I would think it's really important to have your side on record with them in case, heaven forbid, he does get bitten.

Another thought - if you get the chance, video his behaviour around animals.

ISTM this is a kid with serious problems which need to be addressed now, rather than later. Especially given the links which seem to be emergin between cruelty to animals exhibited as a child, and violent and aggressive behaviour to humans as an adult.

Originally posted by Tassie:

Another thought - if you get the chance, video his behaviour around animals.

ISTM this is a kid with serious problems which need to be addressed now, rather than later. Especially given the links which seem to be emergin between cruelty to animals exhibited as a child, and violent and aggressive behaviour to humans as an adult.

Exactly what I told my husband!! I can see it coming!

Mass murderers start out this way!! Seriously. They pick on the weaker, kids or animals and then move up for there, if not stopped.

So now I just have to figure out how to keep my pup's safe.

FYI guys- I have tried walking away and that is when he becomes more aggressive!! He's like a dog. He WILL chase you!! Unreal eh?

One day, my hubby went nuts and bellowed at him and that worked good...lol.

I loved the look of shock on his face but hey- he quit freaking out on our son whom he was trying to push around and tell to go away.

Well my husband walks over there and yells,

"NO! HE LIVES HERE!!!"

Man that kid jumped.

PS

You should see how he treats his sibling when his parents let him wheel the baby carriage around the yard- UNSUPERVISED!!!

The baby is under 1 year old and they let him run the carriage everywhere around the yard and into walls, tipping it over!!! It's nuts.

Let animal control handle it. Hopefully he will be removed to a foster home and the little sibling also. In the event that he remains in the house I would put up a privacy fence with a LOCKED gate and only allow the dogs behind the fence when he is home. You don't want to jepordize your pups future by having them bite a child - even if it is the child's fault and well deserved. Maybe the children being raised in foster care can make an impact in the lives of these children, they're definitely not learning how to behave appropriately from their parents.

It might also wake the parents up a bit if their kid gets taken into care!!! I'd call animal control too.

Something similar happened to me once, when one of my cats was a kitten she used to follow me everywhere, including up the road when I went to work. She did it one day and I stopped (I had to wait for hubby to catch up and take her home) and turned around to see that this brat that had been following us on rollerblades was throwing stones and conkers at her (she was tiny) - I went loopy, I believe after I finished screaming at him I picked up a large stone and told him he had three seconds to disappear before he got it right back at him (he was about 13). I made a point of telling his parents too next time I saw them as all they had been told was I threatened to throw a rock at him. He got ten times worse off his parent when they learnt the truth thankfully. I dont know what pleasure people get out of this sort of behavior - no matter what age! Thats one of the very few times I've lost my temper like that, I cant abide cruelty of any sort on any scale!

EDIT: just thought I best point I wouldnt have actually thrown the stone, it was just to make my point!

This being a 4 year old and you know he is there can't you step in between him and the dog so he can't hurt the dog?

Or carry a broom with you, and when or if he gets close put the broom handle between him and the dog.

I have a walking stick I take with me on all my walks in case we incounter another dog that is unruly, why not try it on the kid?

I wouldn't put up with a 4 year old harrassing my dogs for 2 seconds, I hope you can get this resolved in the best way for all of you.

ACK!! I would want to hit the child, but I know you can't. I have saved multiple cats from being drowned, kicked, beaten etc. by young boys who think it is funny.It sounds to me like those parents need a wake up call, and right away! I agree totally that you need to call animal control, about the boy( insert monster). When my son shows agression towards any of our animals, he is given 1 warning that if he ever does that again, he'll get the same thing. Mean? probably, but it cures any abuse to animals. I teach my kids to respect animals.

We do horse rescue on the side and so they know what meanness an animal can be treated with. In fact 1 of the rescued horses, turned out to be his best friend. That horse followed him like he was a god.

So I vote to definately turn not only the child in but his parents, for not teaching him to respect animals. Imagine what would happen if that boy got hold of a young puppy or kitten when there were no neighbors around!!!!!!

Dianne

Alberta Winds Quarter Horses & Paints

I hope no one thought I meant to hit the kid.

:eek:

I only meant to get the stick between the dog and the kid to stop him from advancing any farther. No matter how badly I would like to hit a mean little kid I wouldn't.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Here is a question- do the parents (mom) even speak English? You say they are Russian but do not say whether or not they really understand you and what you are saying...

If they are from Russia, maybe see if Animal Control or even the police will provide an interpretor to explain to then what will happen if they continue allowing their son to act like a butthead. That what the child is doing is animal abuse and the parents could be held liable for his behavior and any medical/vet bills incurred because of his behavior.

Call animal control and let them deal with it. You could possibly even have them talk to the police and/or social services regarding the kid.

I would also do as suggested and start videotaping whenever possible. If you can't do that keep a log book of all incidents.

That family has issues and until something drastic is done, you and the neighbors will continue living in fear for the wellbeing of you animals and that is not right.

MAKE someone deal with it.

I guess I should actually respond with what I would do...

I would have probably yelled and acted like a butt myself until the kid left. You say your husband yelling at him shocked him, you should try it. The kid would never have had the chance to get near my dog. I would been an arse before he did...

Next time it happens, stop what you are doing and as soon as he crosses into YOUR yard, start screaming like mad woman... and if parents are outside - threaten to call the police on him. He is trespassing afterall. Put up signs for NO TRESPASSING and take it step further make sure it is posted in Russian so there is no mistake. Call the cops everytime the kid comes in your yard - they wil get tired of the calls and deal with it

Foster care?

What about carrying some treats or a toy and giving them to the kid to throw to your dog? Show him how your dog will do tricks for treats? There's got to be other solutions to this problem - you might be able to have a positive effect on this child's life . . .

Kim

Originally posted by kajarrel:

Foster care?

What about carrying some treats or a toy and giving them to the kid to throw to your dog? Show him how your dog will do tricks for treats? There's got to be other solutions to this problem - you might be able to have a positive effect on this child's life . . .

Kim

How great if that would work, but considering that it's not just the child who's the problem, but also the adults, it might not be that easy.

I'd be thinking of involving family services also out of concern for the baby that the boy is rough with and allowed unsupervised access to. In a different setting both children may learn to grow up into wonderful, caring individuals, but from the sounds of things they may be heading in a very different direction under present circumstances. If there is any hope of educating the parents that would be a great start, but if not then both the baby, the puppies and other neighbourhood children are at risk. All of the neighbourhood dogs shouldn't have their temperments ruined (to say nothing of potential injuries), and other children shouldn't have to be bullied by that boy or put at risk by the dogs that will become fear biters.

To protect the puppies, I would second the idea of putting up fencing with a locked gate and making sure it's something that can't easily be climbed over (like a tall board fence as opposed to chain link). Of course there's the expense, but who's to say it wouldn't be less expensive in the long run than possible medical bills for the pups or a lawsuit if the kid gets bitten.

Reading this I was a bit amazed.

The child was tresspassing. You need to post your property. A video may or may not be admissable in the kind of courts that this might be heard. You also need a fence to enforce the no tresspass becuase a 4 year old can't read.

The onus is not upon you to interpret US customs and language to your neighbors when they are breaking the law.

I agree that you should alert animal control folks for the record, if they keep such records in advance of an issue. I would simply ask them what they recommend.

I'm sorry but that kid would have been WEARING the poop I just picked up !!! :eek: I believe my property is my property and I will do anything to protect my dog, that's my job. :D I just have little or no tolerence for nasty children. I'm just glad we live in the country. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by flrpwr52:

This being a 4 year old and you know he is there can't you step in between him and the dog so he can't hurt the dog?

Or carry a broom with you, and when or if he gets close put the broom handle between him and the dog.

I have a walking stick I take with me on all my walks in case we incounter another dog that is unruly, why not try it on the kid?

I wouldn't put up with a 4 year old harrassing my dogs for 2 seconds, I hope you can get this resolved in the best way for all of you.

This kid is unstable. The more I move toward him the more aggressive he gets. He just ISN'T normal. Trust me I've tried that. :rolleyes:

2 devils- They speak a little english supposedly, though I hear them do better...lol.

The animal control has been over there and said it all. They don't care- that's the problem. Let them lose their kid- they deserve it in a way. They just stick him outside and ignore him anyhow.

Sorry to sound like a witch but there it is. They've been warned a bunch of times in the past two mos.

The funny thing is I have yelled but then got an ashtma attack(figures). Plus I don't have that big, scary manly booming voice.(*Damn!*)

My husband hit the nail on the head, when he said, this kid doesnt respect women. Except for grandma who literally will kick his butt. I've seen her. But she is never there when he is like this.

As for letting him play with the dog we tried that. They were fine with them when they were littler(except for the boy kicking Pepper on day #1) and then the pups grew and now they are scared of them and hate them. They run screaming when we go outside. I am at my wit's end.

Plus the parents donot want the kids near the dogs. Ignorence and fear is taught in the home. And good luck overcoming it. I can't..lol.

Trust me I have tried being them all; nice, understanding, firm, mad- I've done them all.

This kid is just pure evil. He threw a full soda through my daughter's screen all over her bed last week!!!!!!

Fencing isn't worth it due to two reasons. I won't leave these pups out alone anyhow due to too much interest out here in them, and the theft rate for pitbait is very high in this area.

I've already had some problems with men being overly interested in buying my pups to the point they got aggressive when I said no. I don't like Spokane very much at all.

Also we are looking into moving. We want to buy a house when my husband's land sale comes in, by fall 06, so until them it isnt worth fencing here.

Now, when we get our own place in a nicer area we want to fence.

I have kids bark at the dogs all the time as I live in a big city... OR act all freaky.

Most parents do not say a word... I DO!! I am very calm but firm and assertive , tell them ...Please DO NOT BARK at my dogs. OR I have just been blunt. DO NOT DO THAT I make sure that I make serious eye contact and mean business!!! Usually this backs the kids up right away and actually gets that parents to take notice. I will always step in front of my dogs if uncomfortable and will say Leave the dog alone please. I think it is important to be able to do this for your dogs sake. If you need to walk back in the house get your pups to safety and come back out to speak with the child.

I really mind care as much if they holler or bark at my pups(though yes it annoys the h3ll outta me!)as long as they keep themselves a good distance away, and donot touch!!!

Hhhhmmmm... someone just gave me a really good idea!!

There is no law against squirting the little sh!t with water now is there?

Tee-hee! ~Evil grin!~

I hope you reported the soda thru the window to the police.

Here is what I've read so far.

Kid abusive to animals.

Lack of respect for and challenges authority ( women execpt grandma).

Not to mention his behavior towards siblings.

Bully/aggressive to other children.

Unfortunately, this problem can only get worse as he gets older unless someone steps up to the plate.

Here is an idea.

Invite the child over for a play date. Show him a good time and how he is to behave ( explain your rules before he hits the door). Make sure it it fun stuff ya'll are doing. When he misbehaves, he must go home. If need be take him by hand and drag him home. He can not come back till says sorry and agrees to follow the rules. He is on the young side so you will have to remind him. While there at your house, explain animals and empathy towards them ( kicking hurts you and it hurts them, critter just wants love and to be able to love you). I would not do extended times maybe an hour for starters and build from there. Good example, get out big paper and some washable markers or paint and have a paint party maybe a snack. This will help him learn how to play right with your son and the dog. Since the parents are pretty much letting him run wild now, I doubt they will object to a little positive enrichment activites over at your house without them. Caution thou they may want him to stay.

As a side note I would still document his behavior with the Animal Control. They may have a cruelty divison just for this set up.

Lets drop the drama:

squirting a kid with anything is nothing better than dropping to their level. At which point, I am guessing they will beat you at it. Kids are good like that.

Sounds like you have done a few things right... Speaking to the parents, calling the authorities, all right. It does sound like the kid is a brat.

Now... two options:

The kid is interested in the dogs and just does not know how to properly play and address them. Solution: Teach him the proper way to intearact with dogs. Teach him what his parents will not. In the end, you may make a new little friend, and a new dog lover. Most kids (like dogs) act out because they do not know the proper thing to do to get attention.

Else: You tried. At this point, just keep your dogs away from the kid. It is not that hard to move a dog out of harms way. I take my dog joust about everywhere (including the bar on a busy night) If she is kicked by someone, you better believe that it is MY FAULT for not being between her and the other person.

I'm with Meg, is he or is he not trespassing on your property? Post a sign and then call the police and animal control.

If he has been reported to them enough and the neighbors say he has, then good, let them haul the little Sh** off!

Yeah and I would break out the hose too!