BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
sherrip

training video

this is my 14 week old border collie. We are not going to do agility in competitions i am using it only as a training tool for regular obediance and to stimulte her once she knows all her obediance commnds. Anyways i have taught her down stay sit come she only listens maybe 60 percent of the time so i would appreciate some advice to get this to 100 percent or is it just her age? I also have a heck of a time with her on leash.

anyways i decided to do some jumping with wiskey while we practice and shape what we already know. in the video when i asked her sit sit and she laid down that is because my hand was out in a stay command so i did not do anything becuase i sent her a mixed signal she only did what she thought i wanted since she is more signal driven than vocal right now.

thanks for watching oh yes anything that i should be teaching her at this age would be good to know also. Like is she ahead in training or behind? we also have only had her going on 3 weeks this coming wednesday. thanks

oh yes excuse my daughter she likes to help and i find her a good distraction for in the house training lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0PAGq3AQE

this is my 14 week old border collie. We are not going to do agility in competitions i am using it only as a training tool for regular obediance and to stimulte her once she knows all her obediance commnds. Anyways i have taught her down stay sit come she only listens maybe 60 percent of the time so i would appreciate some advice to get this to 100 percent or is it just her age? I also have a heck of a time with her on leash.

anyways i decided to do some jumping with wiskey while we practice and shape what we already know. in the video when i asked her sit sit and she laid down that is because my hand was out in a stay command so i did not do anything becuase i sent her a mixed signal she only did what she thought i wanted since she is more signal driven than vocal right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0PAGq3AQE

Cute pup! It's late and I am tired, but PLEASE... it is a very bad idea to be jumping a pup that young, especially on a hard, slick surface. The stays look fine, how about teach sit down, shake. roll over beg, highfive, etc, and keep it "low impact" until she is at least around a year and/or her growth plates have closed. You are possibly doing serious longterm structural damage by jumping a pup repeatedly at her age. Laurie

Cute pup! It's late and I am tired, but PLEASE... it is a very bad idea to be jumping a pup that young, especially on a hard, slick surface. The stays look fine, how about teach sit down, shake. roll over beg, highfive, etc, and keep it "low impact" until she is at least around a year and/or her growth plates have closed. You are possibly doing serious longterm structural damage by jumping a pup repeatedly at her age. Laurie

oh yes i have heard that but i was told it is not an issue as long as it was low enough that she could walk over it. So that was the understanding i was going with, wow i should call my vet and soo ask him what he thinks because it was his assistant that said as long as she could walk over it it'd be ok, but i am definetly taking your guys word for it and gonna call my vet and as him then let him know what his assistant said. thanks

as far as rolling over i tried that for like 3 days and nothing she refuses to do it, but than i could be doing it wrong myself. She will shake already never really taught her that just stick out your hand and she takes it not nicely but sloppy puppy like lol.

but thanks for the jumping tip like i isaid i read that but my vets assistant and i where chatting about trianing and how i was gonna get ehr doing some agility but only for home for fun and i said i couldn't wait for her to do some jumps but that i was waiting and thats when he told me as long as she can walk over it she is ok to hop over it. so like i said definetly calling vet because he should know this info if he disagrees with assistant than i'll tell him if he doens't well i'll forget.

Oh yes also we would only do jumping 3 times a day not over and over so i was still keeping it limited to 3 jumps a day, but no more thanks again

Very cute pup! Love her color! :rolleyes:

I've also heard that they should not start jumping before they're at least 6 months - 1 years old.... but as you said, talk to your vet, and check it out, and you'll be fine :D

I had maja do roll over a couple of weeks ago, and it's not that difficult when u get the hang of it! I made her first lie down, then pushed her slightly to the side, then lured her with a treat over her head, and between her legs. Then slightly pushed her over the first times, 'till she got the hang of it. And i used the command "roll" every time she did it, and now she does it with no problem!

When she was younger I trained her to come to me, and to stay, and also walk at my left leg, so that can be something you can try. I worked a lot with her siting at my foot, and having contact with me. So that is something you can try if u get bored of the other stuff she already know. When I was training her I found that she learned pretty fast, but for some period of time she would be more difficult to work with, and then after that small period she's great! They still need time to figure things out, so I wouldn't teach her too much too quick.

haha, kinda messy writing, but hope got something out of it! And cool that u made a video to show us :D

Actually, the recommend that they should not start jumping until around 16-18 months of age when the growth plates settle. Very small jumps--and not too often--should be fine, but I would choose a surface that is not slick. It just takes one bad slip for them to become wary, too, and then you have a shiny-floor-phobic like Rune. :rolleyes:

I've been teaching dog obedience and agility for well over 20 years...Here's my list I give people who ask what they can training their puppy to do before it's really ready to "work" at something...

Keep your puppy training sessions to "minutes" at a time. Teach these essentials while your pup is still young, and everything else will fall into place. For my dogs, the essentials are listed below -- not necessarily in prioritized order. You may have more to add, depending on your goals and situation.

1) puppy knows and responds immediately to its name

2) housebreaking (with pottying on command outside)

3) crate training (and going in crate on command)

4) walking on a leash without pulling

5) sit – plus duration for a sit stay

6) down – plus duration for a down stay

7) coming when called (#1 in my book)

8) bite inhibition! (also "off"/"leave it")

9) an “Off button” –learning to settle, chill out

10) household boundaries and limitations (doorways, furniture, countertops)

11) outdoor boundaries and limitations (fences, gates, roads)

12) no jumping up on people unless invited

13) socialization to humans (family members and strangers)

14) socialization to other dogs

15) socialization to other animals

16) ability to be separated (or isolated) temporarily and accept it

17) ability to deal with loud noises and voices

18) acceptance of being touched all over, and grabbed by the collar

19) acceptance of nail clipping and grooming

20) learning to defer to owner in a scary or tense situation

Coming when called - MOST important whether you use "that'll do, here" or just the pup's name, or "Come". Use a long line when you can't get to the pup immediately. Never let your pup learn that a recall is "optional", but also, make sure you make it a pleasant experience when the puppy obliges.

In your situation(with small children) Bite inhibition would also be very important. Way important to start training now while she is still smaller than the kids, and she has her puppy teeth. There are many ways to teach this, but violence/screaming is not going to work. She does need to learn that dog teeth NEVER touch a human. With kids, no exceptions. IF she nips/mouths a person - the fun ends. If that doesn't work, I use a muzzle grip (hand over the bridge of the nose), squeezing the upper gums/teeth to calm and stop the nipping with a firm "hey" or knock it off", then release when the pup has calmed down. If the pup persists, elevate her off her feet (takes her out of controlling the situation). Don't let your kids do the disciplining - an adult need to enforce this. If the situation has gotten too crazy, a brief time out in her crate to settle down and then let her back out to "play nice".

That's all for now, have to go to work.Laurie

Sherri,

The occasional--emphasis on occasional--small jump isn't likely to hurt a pup. If you watch them running and playing they do jump things. The problem is with repetition, and especially on hard/non-giving surfaces. Because many people have difficulty judging how much is too much, it's easier and safer for the dog to follow a "no jumping at all" rule (the exception being if the pup jumps stuff in play because generally then it wouldn't be doing it over and over and over again). I am a firm believer in erring on the side of caution with youngsters. They can damage themselves without you even realizing it and by the time the pup shows a resulting physical problem, it's already too late and you'll have expensive vet bills on your hands when you try to correct the problem. Moderation in all things may be a cliche, but it's a useful one. High-impact, repetitive motion is not good for anyone, and especially not for youngsters whose bones and growth plates are still not done growing.

Something else no one has pointed out is that when you are training, while distractions might be useful, what would happen if the child had suddenly sat up or jerked the broomstick up as Whiskey was jumping? Getting whacked with the pole while learning to jump it is not exactly desirable, and it's just one more potential hazard you're exposing the pup to.

J.

Here's a good video showing how you can start to train agility with your puppy until it is old enough to jump:

Very cute puppy btw! :rolleyes:

oh and i called my vet today and asked him and he said absolutely no jumping only regular puppy play jumping and i was foolish to even start jumping with her he was giving me a hard time and i stopped him right up and said well considering this si my first bc and first dog that i even thoguht about maybe doing agility for fun i said i had no clue than i told him that since i ahd no clue i called his office and spoke with his assistant who suggested that i could do it now if his assistant wouldn't of told me it was ok than i would not of but my understanding is he only hires assistants that have knowledge and are educated which obviously in this case was not the case so don't give me a hard time.

he was very upset with his assistant at this time to the point that after telling me how upset he was he called his assistant in the office and told him NOW i was still on the phone when he walked in the office and i heard SIT WE NEED TO HAVE A CHAT than he let me go very politely and said he'd send me an email with some fun tips to do with wiskey that incorperates her basic obediance also.

wiskey already knows her sit stay down come and hussle. plus she is doing excellent with eye contact where i say her name and she does not get a treat until she makes eye contact with me now almost everytime is ay her name there is eye contact and a sit which with doing this eye contact and a sit she has been following her commands alot more inside and out even since yesterday (when i got this advice from vet for trying tog et her to respond to commands 100 eprcent rather than 60 percent)

thanks for the great advice i feel like such a dufus and absolutely horrible for putting wiskey through this thinking it was going to be fun for her when really it was proably not comfortable.

i will do another video of what we already know minus the jumps because that will be a better show of what my little cutie will do so far she si soo smart and just loves learning new things. I am actually done teaching ehr new things for a little bit at elast until these come along alot better and we master the elash she hates the leash horrible on a leash

thanks for the great advice i feel like such a dufus and absolutely horrible for putting wiskey through this thinking it was going to be fun for her when really it was proably not comfortable

Don't beat yourself up too much. I'm sure we have all made a mistake or two when it comes to our dogs. :rolleyes: The good thing is, you found out early enough and you have some great suggestions on all the things you can do!

Enjoy - puppies are so much fun :D