BC Boards

Origination of the term "Big Hat"

Debbie Meier

Does anyone know where the term "Big Hat" originated, and who was it or what group was it orginally used to describe?

You see the term used alot, but what is a "Big Hat"? I guess I could see different ideas, one being a top trialler, another being a top trainer, a third being both a top trialler and trainer, there are top trainers that don't trial and top triallers that send their dogs out for training. Wayne and I were talking about this over dinner last night after the breeding thread where the suggestion was made to leave the breeding to the Big Hats, who really are the Big Hats. I'm not looking for names, I'm looking for a definition to help determine who falls under that designation.

Yeah I know, I don't have anything better to do on a dreary cold day....

Deb

Back when most handlers were involved with farming, the ones you'd see the most at the top, at the big trials, would be wearing their Sunday-go-to-meetin' hats - not golf caps like today, but Stetsons and the like.

It's kind of funny that today the fancy hats are actually smaller. Your cheap ball cap is the kind with the mesh in the back that sticks up above your head, while the nice golf-style caps don't engulf your head quite as much.

What I think of when someone says "top hat" is strictly in reference to trialing, and I think of it as someone who has enough of a reputation that they are more or less automatically "contenders" at any trial

I personally don't think being a top hat or not is necessarily relevant to whether I'd trust their breeding decisions, myself. It is possible to be a top handler and not ever have taken a dog from pup to finish, which is what I look at for breeding qualifications. It is also possible to have taken many dogs from pup to finish and never be considered a top handler. Just my novice opinion. :rolleyes:

I would not be surprised if Donald McCaig was one of the first to use it in "Eminent Dogs and Dangerous Men" to refer to the top trial handlers in their “formal” western wear.

Mark

I'm not sure Mark. I have some old magazines from before that book was published that I'm pretty sure I've seen "big hats" referenced. EDDM was published in the nineties and these mags date back to the late seventies.

Henry K might remember this, as he has been trialing since the sixties I think.

Hello everyone,

I, too, think that the term "Big Hat" predates McCaig's EDDM, but, as a scholar of the breed, Donald may be a great source of information about this topic.

I am wondering if the term "Big Hat" not only refers to the size of the head gear worn by many handlers, but it may be referencing the need for a bigger hat due to their success on the trial field (as in, he/she may now need a bigger hat to fit their swelled head!). So, referring to someone as a "Big Hat" may or may not be a compliment! Just my shovelful.

Regards to all,

nancy

I would suspect a combination of Tony's comment, and Nancy's point, might be most applicable, knowing western culture. Something that started out as an ironic term ("Joe's wearing a mighty big hat these days") that became a slightly more serious (and desirable) label.

No, No you guys. I know where the phrase came from. Havent any of you ever seen Amanda Milliken's hats?? I love them! Premo Big Hats!