BC Boards

new name?

I was wanting to know if you can change a dogs name after you get him? I have seen a few people do it but I'm not sure how well it comes out. I think after a dog gets his name I wouldn't try to change it. God Bless

We had a stray who probobly had a name before but didn't know what it was. It wasn't long before she learned her new one.

Here is the thread from the FAQ section

"How to teach your dog his name"

Same thing in changing a name, just DON'T use the old one AT ALL once you decide to change it.

I have heard that dogs do better with names that end in the "e" sound. I don't know if that is true or not though.

Zeeke's name was Sam when we got him - we really hated that name. I think that was the name he had before he was surrendered - we never actually asked. We changed it and the next day he was responding to his new name. Took no time at all. Same with Zoe.

One of the cats my parents have, has two names. His name is Angel. My dad calls him Raggs. He responds to both. But - he's a cat... so any response is dependent on whether or not he feels like it at that moment. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can. Cricket's first name was "Dolly" which just didn't suit her at all. So, Cricket she became and never ever responded to Dolly after that. Hmmm, maybe she didn't like her name either

Maddie's name was Madison. I didn't like that for a female because I had known a male "Madison" at one time.

We started off calling her just "Maddie" and later it kind of evloved into Maddie Lynn (or Madelyn). She never really seemed to know the difference.

That's cool to know. I never knew if it was ok to do it or not. Some names just don't fit the dog. But I guess what ever you call them they would get used to it. Thanks, I read all the posts on the FAQ page. Good info. It makes me think, if they were hurt, or mis treated in they're old home, would giving them a new name make it better, since they would kind of start new? Maybe, maybe not. God Bless

I think you're right! If they were mistreated they might very well associate their name with bad things - especially if the people called the dog to punish them (which a lot of people tend to do, unfortunately). So a new name would be free of those negative associations.

HAY I was right!!! Wow. I think I'm learning. lol. Not to bad if I do say so my self. Thanks. God Bless

Not only can you change their name, but you can get them to respond to nicknames too. Kellie has Kell, Keller, Lovebug, and Pupper. Roxie has Sugarbear. And Scruffy has Scruffer, Scruffers, Scruff, and a few others my brother uses that I won't repeat on a family friendly board.

Point is, all three will respond to their nicknames as well as their true ones.

My new BC was called Lucy, which was tricky because my other dog is called that. So i just started calling her a name I've always wanted to use, dh thinks she just came with her 'now' name- sshh! She now is used to her new name and leaves the Lucy for her new friend. :rolleyes: