BC Boards

My New Border Collie

Hello, i've just stumbled accross these forums after the purchase of me new Border Collie.

I've had dogs since the age of 5, but after leaving my family home and starting my own family, i haven't owned a dog for the last 10 years.

I've had a Blue Merle Border Collie, Black/White Border Collie, and a Rough Collie.

I collected my new dog from a farm in North Wales on Thursday evening, and i'm really pleased with my choice, he's has a lovely character, lots of energy, and loves to chew!

However, i'm unsure whether his mum/dad were pure breed Border Collies, i asked the farmer and he was adement that they were all Border Collie with nothing else in them.....but they look completely different to my last Border Collie named Tara (Female), i'm aware that you get short haired and long haired, i would have said Tara was a long haired Border, and my new bundle of joy is a short haired, but looking at the photos of her parents i keep questioning myself.......

If you wouldn't mind, can you take a look at my website here (and let me know what you think):- http://www.sonifenton-scott.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MyDog.htm

The farmer was adement that the parents and pups were all collie with nothing else in them.

One thing i would say though, the parents were SO energetic around the farm, i've honestly never seen such energetic dogs!

I asked the farmer if the pups parents herd sheep, and he said 'yes - and cows!'

Apparently they work off both the whistle and voice....

Firstly, the father of my pup i thought looked a little under weight, until i clapped him on the side of this stomach and it felt exactly the same as when you pat a horse - all muscle!

Secondly, they were very protective over the pups - the pups were in a farm barn kept in a hay-bail pen....and wouldn't let me near the pups.

When i left the farm with the farmer driving in front (to take me back to the village) the father was in the back of the LandRover, and the mum was left at the yard, but she chased after my car, ran all the way up this field/hill on my left, and then ran all the way back down in front of my car and was barking and stopped my car in its tracks as otherwise i would have ran her over, i just couldn't believe her energy - the father was equally as energetic - something my last Border Collie (Tara) wasn't..........

Hello and welcome! Looked at the photos of your pup---what a cute little guy! Thought I'd supply a link or two showing pictures of different colors, ear sets, coat lengths of BC's for you to enjoy (if you haven't come across these links yet):

http://www.colliecorner.com/bm_a.htm

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...h/BC_Looks.html

I'm not too good at guessing dog breeds or trying to determine whether purebred or not, but maybe some of the more experienced BC folks on the board will comment.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures as your little fella grows up!

Hello and welcome! Looked at the photos of your pup---what a cute little guy! Thought I'd supply a link or two showing pictures of different colors, ear sets, coat lengths of BC's for you to enjoy (if you haven't come across these links yet):

http://www.colliecorner.com/bm_a.htm

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...h/BC_Looks.html

I'm not too good at guessing dog breeds or trying to determine whether purebred or not, but maybe some of the more experienced BC folks on the board will comment.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures as your little fella grows up!

Hi ruth, thanks for your reply.

Seems to be lots of different variances of hair type/build type from those links you posted. The father of my pup was most like row 18 no.1, 'Tinker'. Had the same short hair - and was big and musclely/proud.....

Maybe the farmer is right then about the parents being all Collie, my wife even said that she wouldn't have thought a farmer would have workng dogs if they were not pure bred.....

Welcome! As Ruth pointed out (and as you could see from the farmer's dogs), working Border Collies come in differing shapes, sizes, colors, coats, ear sets, etc. If you think they have active bodies, just wait until you see how active their minds are.

In that one photo, I think he looks a bit like you, at least as far as the contented and happy face you both have on. Best wishes with your little guy!

I collected my new dog from a farm in North Wales on Thursday evening, and i'm really pleased with my choice, he's has a lovely character, lots of energy, and loves to chew!

However, i'm unsure whether his mum/dad were pure breed Border Collies, i asked the farmer and he was adement that they were all Border Collie with nothing else in them.....but they look completely different to my last Border Collie named Tara (Female), i'm aware that you get short haired and long haired, i would have said Tara was a long haired Border, and my new bundle of joy is a short haired, but looking at the photos of her parents i keep questioning myself.......

If you wouldn't mind, can you take a look at my website here (and let me know what you think):- http://www.sonifenton-scott.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MyDog.htm

The farmer was adement that the parents and pups were all collie with nothing else in them.

One thing i would say though, the parents were SO energetic around the farm, i've honestly never seen such energetic dogs!

I asked the farmer if the pups parents herd sheep, and he said 'yes - and cows!'

Sure looks to be a working border collie pup to me. And both sire and dam are quite good looking as well. What town in No Wales did you buy them from? Can you register the pup, or did the owner register him by chance?

Good luck with him . I think you picked a winner!

Carolyn

They look like purebred border collies to me! Look at my signature line below for an example of the variety border collies can come in (most of these dogs are working bred). The one on the bottom right looks similar to Sam's mother (it's hard to tell from my photo, but she's a tricolor, as is the dog in the middle of the bottom row). I actually prefer smooth coated dogs. It looks like Sam's ears are thinking of standing up. I like the prick-eared dogs too!

Enjoy him--he's a cutie.

J.

They look like purebred border collies to me! Look at my signature line below for an example of the variety border collies can come in (most of these dogs are working bred). The one on the bottom right looks similar to Sam's mother (it's hard to tell from my photo, but she's a tricolor, as is the dog in the middle of the bottom row). I actually prefer smooth coated dogs. It looks like Sam's ears are thinking of standing up. I like the prick-eared dogs too!

Enjoy him--he's a cutie.

J.

Thanks for all your replies!

I sure will keep you all updated with his progress/pohotos.

I really can't wait until he has his injections and i can start to take him out.

My previous Border Collie i had when at home with my parents was so so so abedient, i taught her a lot of things, i could send her out in the school field about 1/4 mile, shout out down, and she would fly to the ground with the bottom of her chin between her two paws, and then when i call her she would get up and start to run low to the ground towards me and then lay whenever told.

I was only a school kid at the time (around 15-16) but other kids used to shout at their mates and say 'hey, look at that dog!'.

Funny thing is, she was so abedient out of the house, used to heel by doing full circle around me and coming up on my side, but as soon as she stepped into my mums house she wouldn't do a single thing i told her..... :rolleyes: Think she knew she could get away with things with my mum.

By the way, my pup came from Newtown in North Wales :D

Sure looks to be a working border collie pup to me. And both sire and dam are quite good looking as well. What town in No Wales did you buy them from? Can you register the pup, or did the owner register him by chance?

Good luck with him . I think you picked a winner!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

The farmer didn't register him, i don't know much about registering, although i've allways had Collies i've never had any registered and don't really know what it involves/means.....

Hello and welcome!

Your pup looks like a BC to me! Actually, most of my pup's lineage is from Wales. The breeder that I got her from her in Wisconsin has travelled to Wales for some of her dogs. The parents of your pup look alot like the parents of my dog.

Keep us updated on that hansome boy!

PS - I travelled to England last September and just love your country! I look forward to going back! :rolleyes:

Sam is cuteness personified and looks like a Border Collie to me. I don't see anything else in there! My good friend here has had two BC's imported from Wales, and they were larger than any of her other dogs. They are tough, excellent working dogs. And you do see more variation of type in a breed that is bred for working ability rather than looks. Good luck with Sam. From your descriptions of his parent's energy levels, he will keep you on your toes his entire life! One advantage of that is you will not get sluggish and overweight as you age, because you must always stay active with a vigorous Border Collie! (she says from persoanl experience!)

Best wishes, and welcome to the boards,

Kathy Robbins

Hello and welcome!

Your pup looks like a BC to me! Actually, most of my pup's lineage is from Wales. The breeder that I got her from her in Wisconsin has travelled to Wales for some of her dogs. The parents of your pup look alot like the parents of my dog.

Keep us updated on that hansome boy!

PS - I travelled to England last September and just love your country! I look forward to going back! :rolleyes:

Hi Daisy,

You may be on to something there....

I met the farmer in the nearest village to his farm, he was waiting for me in a lay-by. He had both the parents with him in the back of the landrover, and i then followed him to his farm. After he showed me to his barn, and i selected the pup i wanted, he asked me in for a cup of tea - i think he lived on his own. I asked if i could take photos of the parents and he said that he has some photos allready taken on his pc but he doesn't know how to email them - as he doesn't know much about PC's.

So, whilst he was making the tea, i emailed the photos to my account, and between him asking me if i wanted a Hot Cross Bun with butter on (he was a really nice guy) he opened one of his cupboards and brought out a load of old photographs, some as old as 40 years old he said, all showing photos of Border Collies throughout the years......

He showed me a photo of my pups dads brother, and he looked exactly the same as my pups dad, and then he showed me a really old photo of my pups dads grandad, which was even older! And he also looked exactly the same as my pups dad!

He said that the Grandad originally came from another farm in the immediate area many years ago, and i think they've bread their working dogs themselves throughout the years.

So, you may be onto something here with regard to you saying that your pups dad looks like my pups dad, maybe they are the same bloodline! :D

Sam is cuteness personified and looks like a Border Collie to me. I don't see anything else in there! My good friend here has had two BC's imported from Wales, and they were larger than any of her other dogs. They are tough, excellent working dogs. And you do see more variation of type in a breed that is bred for working ability rather than looks. Good luck with Sam. From your descriptions of his parent's energy levels, he will keep you on your toes his entire life! One advantage of that is you will not get sluggish and overweight as you age, because you must always stay active with a vigorous Border Collie! (she says from persoanl experience!)

Best wishes, and welcome to the boards,

Kathy Robbins

Hi Kathy,

I hope Sam keeps me on my toes - i could do with a regular workout!

I do mountaineering, i've done Scarfell Pike and Skiddaw in the Lake District and also Ben Nevis in Fort William Scotland, so i'm looking forward and hoping that he will turn out to be a large energetic dog like his father is because he will come in very useful, he can carry some of my pack for me!

He will enjoy it out on the mountains with me i'm sure....

That's a wonderful story Sam's Dad, I'd definatly say all BC too. Sam looks smart and ready to get to work with you. And look at that first picture! He's already getting acquainted with the vacuum, I like that in a man ;-)

Hi Kate, i'm sure my wife would like me to train him to fill the dishwasher up as well! :rolleyes: