BC Boards

We're back!

...at LEAST as far as Archer was concerned.

The trip home to the east coast to visit my family for the holidays was an absolute disaster (bad roads, bad weather, sickness and irritating beyond belief brother-in-law all combined and then some to make for the worst Christmas I have ever had! I won't bore you with the gorey details) but Archer was an absolute DREAM! He is SUCH a good dog!!

We kept him separated from my sisters dogs at all times so there was never any issues. We took him virtually everywhere with us and he was so well behaved, even when he had to stay in our vehicle. We made sure he had a nice warm blanket to cozy up to since it was quite cold, and something to occupy him and he never caused us a moment's grief whatsoever! Now if only I could say the same for my brother-in-law! :rolleyes:

Oh. please, all the gory details!

I love hearing about other people's holiday disasters. It makes my holidays feel so much nicer. Lately, ours have been fine. Because we stay home and let our daughter (the one who produced the most perfect granddaughter in the world) and her family come here. But we've had some doozies. Some disasters, some hectic but fin, and some downright weird.

...at LEAST as far as Archer was concerned.

The trip home to the east coast to visit my family for the holidays was an absolute disaster (bad roads, bad weather, sickness and irritating beyond belief brother-in-law all combined and then some to make for the worst Christmas I have ever had! I won't bore you with the gorey details) but Archer was an absolute DREAM! He is SUCH a good dog!!

We kept him separated from my sisters dogs at all times so there was never any issues. We took him virtually everywhere with us and he was so well behaved, even when he had to stay in our vehicle. We made sure he had a nice warm blanket to cozy up to since it was quite cold, and something to occupy him and he never caused us a moment's grief whatsoever! Now if only I could say the same for my brother-in-law! :D

I have a couple brother-in-laws like that! :rolleyes: (Or is it brothers-in-law?!) I have other names for them....Too bad you couldn't lock BIL in the vehicle with something to occupy him! :D

Glad you're back safe, if not sane! :D

I was going to beg for the gory details, too! Hearing horrible family stories from people I don't (really) know always makes me feel quite content to have the life I have. :rolleyes:

So glad that things went well with Archer and the other dog, too. Sounds like you worked out the separations quite well.

Mary

LOL! Okay Nancy..you asked for it!

Well first off...we left at 5 a.m. and three hours from the Quebec border we hit black ice....three hours solid of black ice! We counted 37 vehicles in the ditch including tractor trailers which we had passing us! That should have been our first clue to turn around. My husband then lost his wedding ring somewhere between here and our final destination. We arrived only to discover that my sister who was flying back from a friends wedding in Dominican was stranded at Toronto airport (an hour from my house!). First time in 20+ years I go to New Brunswick for Christmas and my sister gets stranded an hour from where I live! :rolleyes: We had a bad snowstorm and 350 flights were cancelled across the country and hers was one of them. She was stuck there for two days before her boyfriend and his buddy finally relented and rented a car! They were driving to Halifax so we met them about two hours from my dads house to pick her up. When we did she was starving so (against my better judgement) we went to McDonalds and I ate a Big Mac for the first time in 20 years. Meanwhile, my other sister is driving from Moncton and also has a Big Mac. This was the 23rd. She got sick that night and the next afternoon it was my turn. Worst gastro-intestinal bug I've had in years! So Christmas Eve and all Christmas day I spent in writhing agony on my sisters couch...er sorry, loveseat. Not too comfortable! They only have one bathroom. They also heat their house with wood. Christmas day everyone left me to go to my dad's for dinner. I was home alone and no one stoked the fire before they left...it was minus 30 degrees without the windchill. I woke up at one point and it was FREEZING in the house...yes, the fire had gone out! Finally someone came home and put the fire back on for me (I was so sick I couldn't even manage that simple task!). Then my sister informs me that her cat has pissed in my sons suitcase all over his clothes so they had to be washed and re-packed. Then Christmas night, I was finally starting to feel like a human being again and actually thought I might get some sleep. My sisters all went to visit their grandmother and my sister left her 3 and 7 year old at home with my BIL...who was pissed that he had to be home with his kids on Christmas night (did I mention he's an idiot????) and so he allowed them to make as much noise as they wanted in spite of the fact that we were all trying to sleep!! My nephew was up until midnight stomping around the house like an elephant and playing with his trucks right outside our bedroom door! By that time we were so fed up that we decided then and there that we were leaving and going home. My sister lives in absolute squallor and it drives me insane because it's not necessary! Her "husband" is just the most useless man on this planet! He is uneducated and chooses to remain that way, stubborn, rude, ignorant and completely inconsiderate of others and has NO idea how to treat guests in his home and treats my sister like crap....it was very hard to be in their house and we won't be going back!

I cried all the next day because I was going to miss my girls and hardly got to spend any time with them after being so sick...it was awful...and I didn't get to enjoy my neice and nephew because my BIL was there the entire time. He's a truck driver so when I do visit I normally only have to be in his company on the weekend for a day and a bit...having to be around him for an entire week was more than I could stand. Needless to say I was very, VERY happy to get home to my own bed!

Wendy,

First, welcome back! :D

I am so glad that there were no incidents with Archer and other dogs -- and he was such a perfect dog. Am I surprised? Not one iota :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I was laughing as I read your Christmas saga - it sounds like holiday from hell! You are amazing to have survived it. I can relate to gi bug -- got one once coming home from Mexico and spent two days and nights on the sofa in a Toronto airport hotel, with a fever, in and out of consciousness (not to mention the washroom) with DH beside himself not knowing what to do, the whole ball game. Its not fun! And then drove 5 hours home, but not before the car's hood popped open on the 401 and we had to tie it down with a bungee cord!

But you do indeed win the booby prize in my books for worst Christmas ever. The silver lining is it will never happen again.

Ailsa

P.S. On a serious note, I am sorry about your sister's situation -- its too bad she can't or chooses not to extricate herself from it.

I'm sorry I was laughing as I read your Christmas saga

guilty. I laughed, too. It was better than a made for TV movie; or at least just like one. Well, it was probably a catharsis for you to write it down! And isn't that always the way...you thought the DOG was going to be the problem, and he was good as gold! Thanks for sharing! :rolleyes:

Welcome back and good story - for us! :rolleyes: I'm so glad you made it out alive. Believe me, I know as well as anyone that you don't choose your family OR your GI bugs. Archer sounds like he was wonderful. Maybe he knew he had a "real job" - to not make it any worse for mom!

Good to hear there were no issues with the dogs at least! Sorry about everything else. My brother and I traveled to N. Ontario just before all that bad weather happened, we barely made it out of Winnipeg! I also got some sort of GI problem. Not sure about it, since I haven't had the flu literally since I was about 4 years old so I don't even know what was wrong with me! What ever it was, it was NOT nice, so I feel for you!

Give Archer a nice scratch on his belly for being such a good boy!

I'm sorry I was laughing as I read your Christmas saga

Me too :rolleyes: . You must have broken some kind of record there :D .

so (against my better judgement) we went to McDonalds and I ate a Big Mac for the first time in 20 years. Meanwhile, my other sister is driving from Moncton and also has a Big Mac. This was the 23rd. She got sick that night and the next afternoon it was my turn.

I laughed when I read that part of your horror story. I'd say that was your problem. Kind of like the board game Clue--ArchersMomma, at McDonald's with the Big Mac. :rolleyes: It's been more than twenty years since I ate anything from that place! DH always laughs and says if you're a little "bound up," just go to Micky D's and get a burger. Works faster and better than any OTC laxative! :D

LOL! BC4Ever...you are soooo right. What's scarey is that my aunt went to McD's the next day and tried to order a burger...they told her they had NO beef! Can you imagine McD's running out of burgers??? I think we had some kind of food poisoning myself...but since there was no vomitting I can't be sure. Never again! I also forgot to mention that my son left his new backpack full of his bakugon toys (this was his most fav. x-mas gift) behind. We're still trying to get my fam. to ship it to him! sigh. Next time I decide to go away at Christmas, it's going to be someplace VERY warm!!

What's scarey is that my aunt went to McD's the next day and tried to order a burger...they told her they had NO beef! Can you imagine McD's running out of burgers??? I think we had some kind of food poisoning myself...but since there was no vomitting I can't be sure.

sounds to me like they had quite a few complaints and recalled that beef on their own...and you don't necessarily have to vomit to have food poisoning; depends on the bacteria you were exposed to. I think it's highly likely that's what you had....and it's nasty. :rolleyes: