BC Boards

Pregnant BC mix

Any puppies yet?????

4:31pm (EST) -- NO puppies yet ... I do think it's getting close though. Taking her out every 5-10 minutes (called vet, she said that's okay)...

Yes, I'll be taking pictures & posting once the pups are here! :-)

Guessing it's normal for her to feel the need to urinate/poo frequenty....wondering if we'll know when it's actually time for a puppy to come out?!?!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4:31pm (EST) -- NO puppies yet ... I do think it's getting close though. Taking her out every 5-10 minutes (called vet, she said that's okay)...

Yes, I'll be taking pictures & posting once the pups are here! :-)

Guessing it's normal for her to feel the need to urinate/poo frequenty....wondering if we'll know when it's actually time for a puppy to come out?!?!

If it seems like the time is getting closer I might try to keep her in. Genie went outside only 5mins before the first pup. I woke up (one of a million night checks) she stood at the door to go and instead ran into a shed outside. My neighbors bc dropped a pup on the lawn in April. Our Bc mix last spring had a baby next to moms foot while they were watching tv. I think she panted about a min before the baby came.lol

Bunny was the only one who had bloody show beforehand. It started about 6 hours before the first pup.

If it seems like the time is getting closer I might try to keep her in. Genie went outside only 5mins before the first pup. I woke up (one of a million night checks) she stood at the door to go and instead ran into a shed outside. My neighbors bc dropped a pup on the lawn in April. Our Bc mix last spring had a baby next to moms foot while they were watching tv. I think she panted about a min before the baby came.lol

Bunny was the only one who had bloody show beforehand. It started about 6 hours before the first pup.

I've been TRYING to keep her in where the whelping box is...she darts right over to the back door with her legs crossed! I even brought her in on the leash right to the whelping box last time, sat in it with her, and she jumped over my legs and out the opening! She keeps going to her crate, and then about 5 minutes later we do the whole darn thing again!!

And now it's getting dark...so I have one more thing to grab before going out -- the flashlight! On top of that, it's starting to sleet/freezing rain -- so I've got a knit hat on, boots on, winter coat, gloves, etc....Ahhh!

At times, it seems Jasmine is having a hard time breathing ... or takes real deep sighs. Guess that's all part of it.

I'm basically sitting with the laptop watching her...up & down...in & out...

I've been TRYING to keep her in where the whelping box is...she darts right over to the back door with her legs crossed! I even brought her in on the leash right to the whelping box last time, sat in it with her, and she jumped over my legs and out the opening! She keeps going to her crate, and then about 5 minutes later we do the whole darn thing again!!

You might want to try covering the whelping box with a blanket or something to make it more enclosed and denlike. She just might be objecting to the openness of it all. Doing so helped my bitch to settle a bit come whelping time. I left the blanket covering the box till the puppies were born (and I was right there to make sure it didn't fall down and smother anyone) and then removed it, because once the puppies were there then the bitch no longer wanted to look for somewhere else to give birth.

J.

Ive used a bath tub as a welping box, easy in and out for mom, easy to clean, and closed the curtin, and the bathroom door. Nice quiet privacy, snug and den like. Works well till the pups hit about 4 weeks old and start learning to crawl out.

You might want to try covering the whelping box with a blanket or something to make it more enclosed and denlike. She just might be objecting to the openness of it all. Doing so helped my bitch to settle a bit come whelping time. I left the blanket covering the box till the puppies were born (and I was right there to make sure it didn't fall down and smother anyone) and then removed it, because once the puppies were there then the bitch no longer wanted to look for somewhere else to give birth.

J.

I actually whelp puppies in a cozy quiet area like a bathroom, so there's no where the bitch can hide that I can't get to. Another way would be to put an expen around the pool with a cover like Julie suggested. Once she actually has the first puppy, she will be much more likely to settle in one place. Right now she's uncomfortable and confused about the whole thing (thinking she needs to potty because of the pressure). Just keep an eye on her and try not to panic. You'll probably see contractions and pushing (bearing down) before she has the first one, and before every other one. She can have them standing, squatting or lying down. I've had bitches act really scared their first time and try to run away from the pain. Sitting with those helped, and hormones kick in pretty quickly, once they get down to business . I've had them act like nothing out of the ordinary was about to happen and litterly "pop" out puppies like terds, look back and go "hmm, what's that?". I let the mom take care of the cleaning, afterbirth, etc, but make sure if she's preoccupied with one puppy that she doesn't forget about cleaning the next ones. I watch until each puppy is out, then double check that the membranes are off it's head and it's breathing, then let mom take over cleaning and bonding. If the puppies come quickly one after the other and the mom is moving around alot, I rub damp puppies off with a hand towel and move them to a basket with a heating pad next to mom as she gets ready to have the next one.

Laurie

Yaayyy! Any idea who/what the daddy is?

A