BC Boards

Indulge me in a roaring rant

I go to school with girl who has a Social Science degree so you'd assume she's fairly bright.

She owned Trembling Trevor the Wimpy Whippet who was our non-guardy college guard dog. She spent alot of money at the end of Trevors life on his vet bills and she was quite grievious without him so I assumed she was a decent dog owner.

She began to search for another dog and I directed her to KrisK's shelter and had her give me a list of her dog requirements - age, size etc. She did not want to pay for a new dog because she'd spent so much on Trevor.

She eventually found a free dog, a 9month old Lab/Terrior mix who was being rehomed because she was too destructive.

After 2 weeks, my classmate was showing off the new prong collar she bought because the dog pulls. This pup might weigh all of 20 pounds. I convinced her to return the prong collar and just play ball with the pup and get her tired before walking her to improve the pulling problem. I also coaxed her to attend Ob training with Tex and I when the new classes start.

She cancelled the spay appointment when the dog went into heat and I offered to loan her a golf club so she could guard her dog during this delicate time.

The dog did finally get nailed while she was left outside on her string.

My classmate did not enjoy the lecture on stupidity she got from me yesterday. She told me someone told her that if a dog gets mated once it will make her go out of heat and she won't get pregnant. I told her to try that theory on her teenage daughter! She also told me she thought dogs made puppies "thru the bum" and did't have a vagina until Charlotte "grew" one while she was in heat. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This person works in Social Services for Pete's sake, I have to wonder what she tells her clients.

Hopefully the pregnancy won't take. I have no doubt my classmate wants these puppies - she's already going on about how cute they are going to be.

My classmate is one of those people who ascribes human tendencies to her dog. She's convinced that her dog lies awake at night, plotting ways to defy her and of course, needs to experience sex and motherhood to feel fulfilled....

I dread going to class with her. I'm going to need to start wearing a muzzle - I want to bite her so bad!

:mad: GREAT!!!!!!! Just what we need more large puppies to try and find homes for when their 'cuteness' wears off. Maybe we should send her to one of those over crowded shelters where they are forced to kill healthy dogs to make room for her dam* puppies! How on earth can people be so totally stupid?

Kris, she thinks that the puppies will just go to your shelter and YOU will find them wonderful homes.

I pointed out that there is a large animal research facility in Sudbury at Laurentian U and it was more likely that her cute puppies could end up there.

Where's that Banging Head on Wall Emoticon when you need it?

Oh yea I totally understand where you're coming from - 6 years volunteering at a local animal shelter was educating to say the least.

I just dealt with a similar, though not as horrible situation, with my fiance's dad and his fiance. They currently have a big yellow lab that is about 3 years old. The dog doesn't get any exercise to speak of, but is relatively trained (still jumps but does mind about 75% of the time). This lab, due in part to lack of exercise I think, will chew herself raw - covering her in bitter apple didnt even stop her! So what do they do? Decide they want another dog because the vet thinks it might stop the chewing.

The first dog they got was an adolescent Pit Bull/Lab, 9 mo, intact male. He proceeded to bark asnd cry for the first two nights they had him, even with someone next to him, so they returned him to the shelter.

They then ask me what I think about their next dog choice. I suggest a low key, calm, 5+ yo, neutered male. I explain why (may be already trained, might calm their current dog down, won't need a toon of exercise, still young enough to play hard, etc.).

What do they go out and get? A 3 mo Pit Bull female puppy!!!

I mentioned heavy socializing and the extra training she will need and pretty much got blown off. :rolleyes: I think they're going to have trouble with two big, muscular dogs in a tiny house when there's really no exercise going on, but I've said what I can and I guess they'll have to learn the hard way - too bad it may be at the expense of the dogs.

I feel your pain...

Isn't it wonderful to be a member of the "intelligent species"!!! HA!

Thank God... we are not all "that" intelligent!

Guest JoeysMom

Isn't it frustrating? I have a similiar situation going on with one of my professors right now. I am going to give her information on what it takes to be a good breeder and hope to heck that it discourages her (she wants her dog to 'pay for itself' through having puppies, and she thinks that if bitches have a litter of pups then they will calm down [exercise works wonders!])...anyway, this is your rant. Feel free to rant away.

AAAAACK!!!!

I have heard some unbelievably stupid things over the years (including that if you bury a parvo pup in dirt up to its neck it will cure the parvo), but how on EARTH is it possible to be that ignorant? Where is the logic in believing that breeding PREVENTS pregnancy? Is this woman visually impaired, or just incredibly unobservant and just didn't notice her dog has had a vulva all along? And come to that, how did she imagine the dog was urinating all this time? Or perhaps the dog was just sitting down and water coincidentally welled out to the ground right underneath her *at the same time*? Yikes. And the whole "puppies through the bum" thing - how is it even possible to believe this? She DID have a baby herself, yes? Did she manage that through HER bum? No one expects her to have a medical degree, but where is the common sense?

Yeesh. You DID say she'd been to college, didn't you? Brrrr. I pity the clients she has once she graduates. Bless you for trying to stem her ignorance and I wish you the BEST of luck in keeping your temper with her. I can only imagine. I'd be so totally torn between laughing at the absurdity and tearing my hair out at the ignorance that my head would probably explode.

OK, what does this say about the theory of intelligent design?

Have to say that I have a sneaky suspicion that bacteria and cockroaches are lots more intelligent than us humans.

Ya know, if you are overweight, there is a surgery to help. If your nose ain't right, a doctor can fix that. Butt draggin? Tummy saggin? Eyes with more baggage than Atlanta airport? Yep, that can be fixed. Got emotional probs? There's a doc that can fix that.

But no matter what you try, YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!! :rolleyes:

What is with people!?!?

I hate it when I think I know a dog-wise person and they turn out to know nothing!

Here is what you were looking for :rolleyes: :

banghead.gif

And this one to (you are the one with the hammer)

headbonk.gif

Here's an update.

That sound you heard yesterday about noon was the sound of me banging my head on my desk.

Charlotte got fixed last Wednesday. My classmate had to pay $424 to get her laser spayed locally. A regular spay is $225 which is what I paid in 2002 to get my shep spayed. No real surprise about the cost, that's normal.

Last Saturday, my classmate bought a harness and took Charlotte for a 2km run beside her bike. They've gone out every night and Charlotte loves to run. I can't believe this, I'd be freaking about her hermorraging to death, running for miles 3 days after surgery.

I asked my classmate how she'd feel about running 2 km after someone yoinked her inards out but I got the usual glazed look.

Is laser surgery safer? The incision is pretty tiny but there must be still lots of trauma inside.

After exams next week, I will be classmate-free, Yeah!