BC Boards

Puppies for Christmas...

Just speaking for myself - when we were considering another dog for my Mom (late 70s, about 10 years younger than this woman), we thought about all of those things. She had a small yard, and we were thinking about a smaller dog - but it isn't size that counts, but personality (which is an excellent reason for an older dog, not a puppy). My Mom was still walking 3 miles a day. She had a yard for the dog to play in. My sister was close, and she & their kids were willing to walk the dog regularly if my Mom couldn't. We all knew the dog would eventually end up living with one of us...what is bad about that?

That isn't bad, if you were willing to inherit the dog, and provide adequate help. As well, your mother was still very active. Completely different situation.

However, this family ISN'T going to provide help, which means they probably won't want the dog when the women dies anyways. As well, you were smarter and considering a small breed, this family got an active little puppy who is going to grow into a very large dog who needs a lot of exercise, stimulation and control. Also, the fact that your mom had a say in if she wanted the dog is another thing that is very different from the present scenario. This puppy was a surprise gift. This entire situation is just not a good fit for both the dog or the old women. It's not about right or wrong, or bad or good, it just happens that with the lack of thought that went into the gift, it just isn't going to work out. If things were more thought out, I'm sure she could've enjoyed a lovely, older aged small dog who just wanted to be someone's lap dog for the rest of their years.

Anyways, the pup is in good hands now and somewhere that fits the pup's needs will be found. Maybe Sarah's house? :rolleyes: (Still only partially kidding..)

I'm with you on the whole lap dog bit...I feel this lady could be much happier with an elder, toy-breed rescue looking for a place to settle down. This puppy...well, although he IS good, for a puppy, I cannot imagine an 87 yr old woman being capable of putting up with this baby as he stretches into his adolescent years. So what if family members train him? Training must be enforced 24-7, and dogs are smart enough to know who will reprimand them and who will not, and which people he can get away with things with.

As it stands, he'll make some one a good dog--with training. Its not just the potty breaks, as most of us understand. I just cringe at the thought of this boisterous little pup gallumphing about in a case of the zoomies, and then accidentally taking grandma's legs out from under her. Yes, many of you have shepherd mixes who would be suitable for elder people--but I'll wager their puppy-hoods were more than a little demanding.

Here is some information on Strangles in puppies:

Puppy strangles (Juvenile cellulitis) is a misnamed disease suggesting respiratory difficulty. The term cellulitis more appropriately describes the condition. Pups begin to have noticeable skin trouble at about five weeks of age. One or more pups in a litter may be affected. What the veterinarian sees at examination is usually a well fed, otherwise healthy pup that has massively enlarged lymph nodes, swelling of the skin and often wet oozing sores. Marked swelling is usually most pronounced around the head and neck and the ears (pinnas) are thickened, scabs form and a thin fluid seeps from the pathologic tissues. In some cases the skin will crack open the swelling is so severe. The lymph nodes under the jaw (submandibular lymph nodes) become extremely swollen and painful and may actually drain to the skin surface.

Here is some information on Strangles in puppies:

Thank you for the explanation. You learn so much on these boards.

My two cents: Animals as surprise presents are never a good idea. Maybe if it's your spouse and adding an animal has been discussed...but even then it can be a bad idea. There isn't enough space on this board for me to recite all the bad stories re surprise "present" animals that I've experienced over the years through clients and people I know. The "giftors" may have good intentions, but in the end it is always the animal who suffers the consequences of not really being wanted. And I have no respect for any breeder who sells a dog this way.

And that puppy...way too cute! :rolleyes:

I know I'm not really one to preach about dogs as gifts (look at Joy, lol) but I certainly don't think it's a good idea unless the 3rd party, being the recipient, truly feels they're ready for a dog.

And maybe if all plans fail, you wanna send the puppy up to me....?

Unless I specifically tell my kids that I want a particular pet, they'd better not give me one.

So, as much as I get nostalgic when I see guinea pigs that look like Harry and Molly we had ~1958 (Molly had 3 babies; Harry had 4), or donkeys, or whatever, I really think that Fergie the wonder dog and Maggie the border cat are quite enough.

Now, in 5-10 years, I might ask for a teen or adult border terrier. But the kids had better d@#$%^&ed well wait until I ask for any live thing. Even a replacement for DH, should that be in the cards.

Live surprises are not fair play.

I just remembered something...we had a neigbhour who was very abusive with his bc. His bc "attacked" his 3 yr old so he decided that she had to go. I was happy for the bc to get out of this bad home..and I knew it wasn't her fault but the owner's fault that she bit his daughter. He used to get the wires from the fences...barb wires and rolls them in and calls her in then whipped her with them for chasing the horses. It was so upsetting to see him beating her like that. I had Aspen at the time and told him if he did something to her..I would call the cops on him. I couldn't legally protect his dog but can protect mine. There's no laws here to protect farm dogs so she suffered for it. But the day he got so mad and I stepped in and told him I would take her and place her myself. It took me TWO days to find her a home. I found her a home with a 60 yr old man who was just in love with her. BUT....he was concerned about his age and dying on this dog. This dog was 5 yrs old at the time. We made a deal that if he should die before her..that I would take her in. In a sense I'm her "guardian" in case he dies. But she died before he did....out of old age. He loved her so much and spoiled her to pieces. I couldn't keep her personally because she was so feral and battered and in a way posted danger to my dog. She didn't like Aspen at all. She did well as an only dog. It was a happy ending to a such sad beginning.

Heard he got another dog....*grimace*

More on this sad story...

Lil' guy went back to be with the Dr. this weekend...he was planning on calling the family tonight and discussing the pup's future.

Turns out, when he went to see the grandma this puppy was given to, he walked in on the grandmother crawling across the floor to her walker because she'd slipped and fallen after mopping up a pee accident. :D I just...cannot imagine how after that the family STILL thought this was a good idea!?

*sigh* Hopefully he can talk them out of it, because as he put it, he can't just steal the puppy. (I was all YES YOU CAN OMG) ...Hopefully they will see some sense.

But I tell ya...having that little guy around makes me want another puppy...BAD. :rolleyes: If only the BF would stand for it!

That is really sad to hear. Hopefully he can convince those who need convincing. It sounds as if she's already not sturdy on her feet....she has a walker after all, the last thing they need I'm sure is a grandmother with a broken hip. I'm sure at her age a hip surgery would not go as well as one would hope. My 2nd cousins grandmother just passed away from a routine hip surgery, she was well into her 80's and otherwise in fairly good health.

Keep us posted ok!

Anyone ever hear of Connie Douglas Reeves?

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com...;slug=cowgirl21

Maybe the 87 year old woman in question might not be able to handle a boisterous puppy, but when I lived out west I knew a few "older" ranch women who had more stamina than me and a lot of women (and some men) combined. Either way, springing a pet (of any kind) on someone (of any age) without consulting the person first is NOT A SMART MOVE!!!, and a disservice to the pet.

i know this is entirely different, but 3 years ago i gave my oh a puppy for Christmas.

was not a problem because he had been asking for a dog for about 6 mos. our other dog had

been put down and he felt like he wanted another dog. he was so surprised it was funny to see.

lucy weighed only 7/10ths of a pound and i had fed her good and put her in a gift bag. in that case

she was well accepted as agift. he immediately began to take her everywhere he went.

now i have a ? although she is supposed to be his dog, she seems to prefer me to him. does

anyone else have this in their case?

i know this is entirely different, but 3 years ago i gave my oh a puppy for Christmas.

was not a problem because he had been asking for a dog for about 6 mos. our other dog had

been put down and he felt like he wanted another dog. he was so surprised it was funny to see.

lucy weighed only 7/10ths of a pound and i had fed her good and put her in a gift bag. in that case

she was well accepted as agift. he immediately began to take her everywhere he went.

now i have a ? although she is supposed to be his dog, she seems to prefer me to him. does

anyone else have this in their case?

While Bess is my dog technically... she works hard to get DH on her side. I think it has to do with him ignoring her except for a few rituals they have like coming home and his somewhat sarcastic..."Oh Bess I'm so glad to see you"...dog runs full steam at him, drops and wiggles all over, rolls to back for belly rub...but wants her to just lie there and be a boring dog the rest of the time.I guess the dominant male in the pack ignores the lessers pretty much unless they are out of line? I'm sure someone else will explain this much better. I also notice the cat will want to get attention from folks who aren't comfortable with cats, but that is because usually they are trying to ignore the cat, making no eye contact, so it's the only person in the room that isn't intimidating to the cat, everyone else is staring at the pretty kitty trying to get it's attention and get it to come to them.