BC Boards

UKC

Katelynn & Gang

Way back when (early 90's), UCK was one of the good org.'s for performance over conformation clubs. Don't know if they have gone the way of the other kc's. You can go to their web site and look around. Used to be they didn't even offer barbie classes for border collies since it was anti the purpose of the breed. They might have changed though.

Yes, looks like they do have a breed standard.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/BorderCollie

Nothing much like AKC. Doesn't seem like there are many showing there, just a few from MI (figures, right? With the idiots running around this state breeding Barbies and passing them out like nothing to anyone and everyone with enough cash!).

*Sigh*

Still would like to hear others opinions on the subject.

I see UKC now has Dock Dogs and I have a friend that wants me to register the dogs to compete but I am not so sure. Things with the letters KC together make me cringe.

UKC, good bad or evil? Experiences?

Thanks!

Great atmosphere, generally good people and they have for the most part been concerned about the "standard" or the lack of, they agree with the working aspect from what I heard in the past.

As for your MI idiots, pity to you..I just saw one of the web sites - raving about the Astra import and how he won't be AKC conformation shown so that he can be offered to select ABCA bitches......blah............

I would disagree with those who think it is nothing like AKC. It is very much. While their emphasis used to be on performance over conformation, not so any more. They even now allow BC's to earn CH's and show in their conformation events. Their working program ("herding")allows ANY dog/breed (UKC reg'd) to compete for titles. AS far as I know it is not offically 'sanctioned' yet. (I could be wrong there as sources seem mixed on that). True, their conformation program is different and their obedience probably more useful, but a horse by any other color....

However if you want to play in one of their 'games' like AKC you have to reg. They also have a predjudice against tightly bred dogs so if your dogs have close relationships, they will have to be s/n to compete.

Traditionally, the UKC was very performance oriented. Shortly after AKC recognized the Border Collie, USBCC contacted UKC and urged them to continue their policy of not offering conformation classes for Border Collies. The UKC said they had no plans to admit Border Collies to conformation, that they were aware of the USBCC's position, that it was their practice to honor the request of breed clubs in matters like that, and that they would not make a change without consulting us first. Unfortunately, around 2000 the leadership at UKC changed, and Wayne Cavanaugh, who had been a Vice-President of the AKC during the dog wars, took over as President and imposed a much more AKC-type outlook. Soon after that, the UKC changed its policy and included the Border Collie in conformation showing, without even giving notice after the fact to the USBCC. The English Shepherd met the same fate at that time, BTW, despite the very active opposition of its breed club, which was much more affected than we are because the UKC was their principal--if not their only--registry.

Because of all this, I have a bad taste in my mouth regarding the UKC and personally wouldn't have anything to do with them. I do believe they are less pernicious in general than the AKC, however, and they are certainly far less influential and thus less able to damage a breed. That last point may be the most important for many when deciding whether to register with them or not.

Nope. Maybe no ABCA-registered dog has won a UKC conformation title (you have to remember that the UKC conformation program is minuscule compared to the AKC conformation program). Or maybe no ABCA-registered dog has won a UKC conformation title who has not also won an AKC title and been de-registered for that. Or maybe an ABCA-registered dog has won a UKC conformation title and not been caught (if you know of any, please let me know). But one way or another, no dogs have been de-registered for winning a UKC conformation title.

Hello everyone,

Traditionally, the UKC was very performance oriented. Shortly after AKC recognized the Border Collie, USBCC contacted UKC and urged them to continue their policy of not offering conformation classes for Border Collies. The UKC said they had no plans to admit Border Collies to conformation, that they were aware of the USBCC's position, that it was their practice to honor the request of breed clubs in matters like that, and that they would not make a change without consulting us first. Unfortunately, around 2000 the leadership at UKC changed, and Wayne Cavanaugh, who had been a Vice-President of the AKC during the dog wars, took over as President and imposed a much more AKC-type outlook. Soon after that, the UKC changed its policy and included the Border Collie in conformation showing, without even giving notice after the fact to the USBCC.

Thanks for the update, Eileen, and it is indeed unfortunate that the UKC has followed in the footsteps of the AKC and endorses Border Collies to be shown in conformation. I haven't been involved in KC "dog sports" for about fifteen years, so I wasn't aware of the change in leadership and focus of the UKC.

Ironically, two of my dogs were the first dogs to be registered in the UKC LP program, which was implemented in 1991 (their numbers were LP00001 and LP00002). Also, the Sept/Oct 1991 issue of the UKC magazine Bloodlines featured a two page article about them, with one of my dog's photo on the cover. I competed with these two dogs in the UKC obedience events, and they quickly advanced to achieve success at all levels of competition (including numerous High in Trials and Dog World Awards). The UKC events were a bit more relaxed than the AKC events, and at that time, the focus of the UKC was more on performance than conformation. What a shame that it is no longer the case.

Regards to all,

nancy

Hello Everyone,

Barb S wrote: "My Aussie mix was LP00006. We used to do a lot of UKC!"

Too cool, Barb! That means that there were only four dogs granted LPs between my dogs and your's! It seems like a lifetime ago.

Do you remember this issue of Bloodlines with my Sooner on the cover?

bloodlinescomp.jpg

She was doing her "waving" trick, but the editors used it to say, "I'm number one" (the first one registered in the LP program).

Regards to all,

nancy

Hi Barb,

That's too funny about you living much closer to the UKC office than I do, and yet my applications got there before your's! Otherwise, your Jenni would have been the cover dog! Sorry about that! How ironic that your friend's applications ended up in Nebraska, too....geezzzz!!!

Regards,

nancy