BC Boards

Border Collie Dog Food Brand?

What brand do you feed your BC? What brand you should avoid for border collie breeds? PM me if this is a touchy subject since I don't want to start anything and I'm new here. Thanks!

Hi Nepsa,

Welcome!

The subject of dog food, kibble, canned, homemade, raw or any combination has been discussed quite a bit here. If you use the search button at the top of the page you'll find oodles of previous threads.

Many here are passionate about feeding raw; they will indicate that the dogs are in optimum health, weight, great teeth, breath, etc. I am not one of these people (for no other reason than convenience and my dog Skye, and my previous Riley, have always done well on best quality kibble and canned) so they can tell you more about it. I feed Skye Fromme-brand kibble, in its fish formulas, and then mix with Merrick canned for dinner.

I have also used Wellness, both dry and canned.

The main thing is finding a brand that your dog loves, keeps them in good weight and health, and with which you feel comfortable. I think more and more people have made sure they're feeding a food that is made in North America and is of high quality, rather than something that contains ingredients that might be compromised, i.e. wheat gluten from China from last year (and melamine contamination). I think most people will say that unless your dog is working stock and needs a very high performance diet, a border collie can be fed the same kinds of food as you would any other active breed.

Good luck,

Ailsa

Guest maya's mom

Welcome! We feed Maya, California Natural. We use their Lamb and Rice formula, but there are a few varieties. It has a very short ingrediant list, so it is really good for dogs with a sensitive stomach. We actually started on it, b/c we were told it was a good food for her skin and coat, and it has improved that greatly. She had visible flakes and dry skin when we brought her home, and now she is very shiny and soft. There are many good foods to feed. I have just been told to stay away from anything that you can buy at the grocery store, or even most of the stuff at a Petsmart, Petco. I think Petco does some sell better brands, but just do your research. Feeding a good quality diet is the best thing you can do for them!

I feed my own dogs raw, but the advice I give to people that adopt from me is to make sure the food has a meat or meat meal (chicken, lamb, beef, etc...) as the first ingredient. I also suggest that people avoid foods with corn and wheat because these can cause problems and they are most often found in lower quality foods. Keeping those two criteria in mind, you have a lot of good foods to choose from and can feed your dog something she likes and does well on.

Emily