BC Boards

upper respiratory infection???

Ok, so here's the deal...

Last week or so ago, a couple of the puppies we had taken in from our local shelter came down with kennel cough. Its undoubtedly because they were at the shelter before coming to us, and we spent three days bleaching EVERYTHING, not to mention double-checking that everyone (customers) was UTD on their Bordatella vaccines, which most of them were.

Rune had her most recent one a month ago, and Idolon about 3 months ago, so I wasn't worried about them, really. Then, last Weds, I thought I heard one of them cough. Off and on I'd hear one of them cough the next few days...turned out, they were both coughing, and that worried me. And it wasn't *really* coughing...more like a sudden exhale, to clear their throat, like they do if they inhale water, or a piece of food. No inhale, then hack out, which is usually a more promising indicator of kennel cough. Not only that, but I maybe heard them cough 2-3 times a day...and I'm around them a LOT of the day, I'd say at least 22 of the 24 hours I spend with them. So I tried not to be worried...

So they've been staying home for the past several days, and taking it very well I might add.

Well, the coughing hasn't ceased, and it seems to only occur when they really get worked up...like after running up the stairs, or wrestling, or chasing one another. Also, they didn't do it once all day sunday, and today I didn't hear one until tonight. And, as always, its as if they are clearing their throat. Also, pressing/rubbing/stroking the throat does not make them so much as wheeze, let alone cough, and from what I've heard that is one of the MAIN indicators of bordatella.

Also, I might add, that myself, my bf, and his sis have all been a bit sniffly/congested. I considered that the dogs may have what we have, or maybe allergies from the dust stirred up by all the packing since we're preparing to move...Rune's left eye has been gathering more eye gunk than usual, lately, so I thought it could possibly be allergies??? They have not been hacking up any liquid or goo, either.

What are the symptoms of an upper respiratory infection?

I would have taken them to a vet by now, if it weren't for the fact that I usually have to take off work to do so, and this week they really need me in there because we're short on help. There is just such a long wait when I go to the vet, I know I'll end up sitting in the waiting room for at least 2.5 hours...it IS worth the cheapest prices in town, though. I'm just lookin fo advice here, to see what this sounds like.

To be honest, it really does sound like kennel cough. Its not really a cough. I think my vet described it as sort of a reverse cough. I had to deal with it when I brought Buddy home from the shelter. Both were stuck at home for a month at least, until it eventually cleared up. Go ahead and get some meds from the vet. If I remember correctly, they were not that expensive.

Guest amylobdell24

Bordetella can be a combination of a viral & bacterial infection. Sometimes they can get over the viral infection on their own, but the bacterial component can get pretty nasty without treatment. If it were my dog, I'd go ahead and take it into the vet - and if they recommend it, start antibiotics & broncho-dilators and/or cough suppressants to keep it from getting worse.

A viral URI is like a cold for us. Medication won't help, they just have to get through it. Antibiotics are not given (at least by my vet) if the dog is NOT running a fever. You can suppress the cough if it is bad in these cases by using Tussin cough medicine from the drug store. If a fever develops, then antibiotics are called for, primarily so the dog doesn't develop a secondary bacterial infection or pneumonia. I keep my dogs current on their bordatella, but there are so many strains that this will not guarantee that they won't get it. The belief is that they will not get as bad a case as they would have if not inoculated. So far my dogs have not come down with Kennel cough from any of the rescues that have gotten sick here. Our most recent foster was sick for three weeks with a terrible URI that was making its way around the shelters here. His neuter had to be postponed twice. He is fine now. So monitor their temps and get them in right away if they start to run a fever.

Kathy Robbins

Annie and Missy have both just gotten over kennel cough, requiring antibiotics over the last week. The vet hypothesizes that one contracted it from smelling the droppings of an infected dog, then passed it on to the other. I would note, however, that neither showed the symptoms that you attribute to kennel cough; Missy exhibited minor breating issues and an occasional soft cough, while Annie showed no symptoms at all, and would not even have been diagnosed if my wife hadn't taken her along for the ride when Missy went to the vet for her shots.

I have heard Much lately about a Very bad Strain of KC going around, I know Pete brought it up from Cali and before I had known about it he infected about 5 other dogs that all had currents Vacs. He and Shelb both sounded like you are describing. They got a weeks worth of Antibiotics and continued to cough a lil bit for another week before it went away complety.

it was nasty....

My cat on the other gets an upper respitory Infection about 4 times a year.... :rolleyes: there is nothing I can do to prevent it, just when the seasons change, she gets sick. the sound is more of a weezing and sneezing then coughing. with mucus and when I first got her bloody nose. because I didn't know she was sick. This has a fairly inexpensive fix, and is over in 10 days