BC Boards

Winter gear

For wilderness SAR training, the following worked really well for me last winter (SW MI, NW IN)

An Eddie Bauer parka that is awesome. It's in their "Weather Edge" line and it's windproof/waterproof with lots of pockets! It is also roomy enough that I can add more layers underneath if need be.

For pants, nothing beats flannel lined jeans and carhart overalls, IMO.

For gloves, I really like the ones I got from Duluth Trading company - they have several options in womens sizes!! I got waterproof insulated ones for $29. If it's really cold outside I wear a pair of my handknit fingerless gloves inside.

Duluth also has a wide variety of mens/womens work gear - some really great stuff there!

The boots I have now are Columbia and they're pretty nice. As important as boots, though, is a good pair of socks. I like boot socks with a high percentage of wool. My favorites are heavy weight handspun/knit wool mohair blend socks. But any decent brand (columbia, wigwam, smartwool, ect) should work well. You can get them at a sporting goods store or Duluth.

Ok, so the opinion of someone who lives in SoCal may not seem relevant here, but I seem to spend several weeks every winter in southeastern Wyoming working dogs every day (or even in places in Ca where it's well below freezing and I'm outside ALL day doing setout).

Underarmor--best "long johns" I've ever had. I've only used the bottoms so far, but will get the top for this winter.

Carhartt bibbies--over top of the Underarmor and regular jeans. The Carhartt coat is great, too. Although it is not advertised as waterproof, I've worn mine in really heavy cold rain, and it took 3+ hours for me to get wet underneath. If you're in a kind of dry cold and snow, it works great. Unfortunately, if you're on a horse all day, the bibbies are too bulky for getting on and off the horse. Then, chinks over jeans and Underarmors will have to do.

Cabela's boots--Called Bugaboos, I think. Waterproof and good for -20, as I recall. I bought a pair last winter, and wore them maybe 8-10 times. This fall, when I wore them, my left foot was getting wet. I called the company, they sent me a return label (so I didn't have to pay postage), and then sent me a new pair, no hassle...

OR Muckboots--reasonably warm, taller than the Cabela's, less bulky to move around in. And slip on, so easier when in and out of the house a lot.

Mad Bomber hat--mine is also from Cabela's, nylon on the outside and bunny fur ear flaps and lining. Fashionable, too if you're a dork).

I'm still looking for the ideal gloves--waterproof and warm, and not so bulky that you can't actually DO things with your hands. For now, I alternate between several pairs of fleece lined leather gloves (ditching one pair when they get soaked, etc.),

A

Sorel boots or the long muck boots, if I'm using snow shoes, or if I'm on horseback. my Sorel's won't go into my snow snows, old type of snow shoes.

Handmade WOOL Socks!!! Silk socks underneath if really cold

Long johns- mine are very old- they don't seem to wear out? Silk long johns under those if really cold.

Any wool pants- then snow pants unless I'm riding then long coat

Wool mittens, regular mitts over those

Wool scarf, Wool hat

Can you tell I don't like to be cold and move rather slowly?

Oh, and if I'm on the horse all day, my feet get REALLY cold. One of those hand warmer packets in each boot, under the ball of the foot, halps a fair amount. Too bad they're lumpy to walk on,

A

I live in Minnesota and I broke down and bought a head sok last year. It was one of the best investments that I have ever purchased. http://www.buyhappyfeet.com/Headsokz I bought the wind block one as we deal with some pretty nasty wind chills around here. It makes a world of difference when I can keep the wind off of my cheeks and my neck warm.

As far as my feet are concerned I like to use the sock liners meant for cold weather and ideally a pair of wool socks. I also really like my muck chore boots.

I do wear insulated coveralls in the winter along with my Carhart jacket. Oh and my silky long johns and I love my flannel lined men's jeans. The gloves are the tough part as I too am searching for a pair that will keep my hands warm yet not be too bulky. It is hard to grab my whistle and get into my mouth with big winter gloves on. :rolleyes:

I have heard from people out west that they also really like to use Wild Rags around their necks. These are silk scarves, per say, and are supposed to be really warm.

Kathy

I love my Muck Boot Arctics - warm and dry feet, tall shaft for warm lower legs, great traction, and good foot support.

I wear Carhartt coveralls for really bad weather, over jeans and fleeces.

I had a great pair of gloves and, of course, they are the one pair that got lost. So, the advice on gloves here is helpful.

Meanwhile, when I saw Anna's post but before I read it, I was thinking maybe she'd recommend those sheepskin-lined flip-flops {;^P) !

I had some insulated waterproof work gloves made by Carhart that i really liked. They stayed pretty waterproof for a good 2 years of everyday wear. I need to get another pair myself!

Being here in NC, i was tempted to answer the original question with "a sweatshirt". :rolleyes:

I had some insulated waterproof work gloves made by Carhart that i really liked. They stayed pretty waterproof for a good 2 years of everyday wear. I need to get another pair myself!

Being here in NC, i was tempted to answer the original question with "a sweatshirt". :D

Ha! :rolleyes: I was waiting to hear something like that from the southern contingent.....it's taken me almost a decade of living outside of the south to have a sufficiently varied seasonal wardrobe to handle these lovely seasons here in the north--but little did I know that outdoor time (beyond moving from the car to the house) was to be on the program back when we moved up here.

On long underwear--how does under armour compare to silk?

These are all great suggestions. thanks.

I'm a fan of Carhart overalls as well from my time in North Central IN winters. I'm also a fan of Smartwool socks. :rolleyes:

This thread has been quite helpful for me as I assemble a versatile wardrobe for SAR work here in SC (it does get pretty chilly at night sometimes lol). Thanks!

I'm a fan of Carhart overalls as well from my time in North Central IN winters. I'm also a fan of Smartwool socks. :rolleyes:

This thread has been quite helpful for me as I assemble a versatile wardrobe for SAR work here in SC (it does get pretty chilly at night sometimes lol). Thanks!

Do they have pink Carharts? I think they should cater to women also. Maybe ski wear?

When it's cold I'll wear my flannel lines jeans. I also have wearguard insulated coveralls; the style I have looks to be discontinued but it's similar to 30° Below Insulated Coverall. I use merino wool socks in either my work boots or sorels (if its' really cold or I'm just standing around). I have a range of hats including wool ski caps and a cotton balaclava (from my skiing and bicycling days); and I have a cotton neck gator. If I'm working I use insulated leather work gloves; if I not working I use my ski gloves (mittens with glove liners are even warmer).

Mark

Berne makes coveralls (bib and full) for women (which I like because they have a shorter waist and shorter legs, which means a better fit) and they come in colors like pink (mine are navy though), though I think the person Sue is talking about ordered hers online since most stores I see that carry Carhartt and Berne don't have pink ones.

I'm one of the apparently odd few who doesn't wear jeans under my bibs--I find silk type long johns to be sufficient (and less bulky). My bibs are quilted anyway, and the combination seems to be suitable for the cold weather I encounter.

J.

They DO have pink Carhartts (or some similar brand) as an Open handler in VA has been known to go to the post in her pink bibs!

And pink would look so lovely with dog hair and sheep dung on them. But at least I'd feel girly. LOL

Well, I look like an oversized gingerbread man in my Carhartts and, if I had pink, I'd just look an oversized, frosted gingerbread girl! I often think of that gigundisized marshmallow man from one of the Shrek movies when I waddle out the door in my Carhartts. If I ever had to move fast in them, I'd be sunk. But they are warm, warm, warm.

And I shouldn't tell about my moon-over-Carhartt experience one cold morning at Sam Furman's Frontrunner SDT several years ago...

YES!!! Pink exists! They are actually Roper brand, and my bibbies and matching jacket are HOT PINK!! (Actually, I think somewhere Jodi had a pic of me in the jacket at Sun Valley last month--you can't miss it!) They also had a really nice periwinkle/lavender color at the same time I ordered mine. I got them half price in the summer a few years back. They're quite warm, but the fabric is not as densely woven as the Carhartts, so overall, the quality is not as good. The jacket also has a zip-out fleece lining. I got them from The Fort Western Wear catalog out of NE. I order almost all of my clothing from them, as they have regular (men's) Wranglers at $18.99 a pair all the time,

A

ETA: Oh, and I keep the jeans on under the bibbies, as often, sometime during the day (doing setout), I am apt to get a bit toasty, and will shed a layer or two :rolleyes:

I find that if I'm working outside and moving around something as simple as heavyweight cotton track pants under wind pants are both comfy and warm. Tops are usually just layered cotton T, flannel shirt and old winter coat (of which I wish I could find another newer one same type). Don't like hats, I usually wear a polar fleece headband for my ears or that plus a hooded sweatshirt if it's colder. For boots, I've tried many over the years, always some type of felt pac boot. Loved my original "caribou" sorels but it was hard to get the liners in and out for drying, the leather top was stiff and I was ruining the liners from forcing them. My next sorels (think they are called Snow Lion) have a nylon top and were great for many years until the waterproofing wore away. Both of those were rated to -40F. Tried and didn't like Kamiks or Kodiaks, the ones I tried seemed to always be wet, whether from getting wet through or sweating, and my feet were always cold. I just recently bought the felt lined rubber boots rated to -40F and so far am happy with them for daily chores. Also got a pair of Sorel "glacier" boots that are rated to -100F. They're a heavy boot, you wouldn't want to do a lot of walking in them I don't think as you'd probably get both tired and overheated. I got them for when I'm standing around at the dogsled races and it's really cold. When I race I wear a pair of Coleman winter hikers that are rated to -32. Then thing to remember about temperature ratings is that their max rating is for heavy activity. They aren't rated that low for just standing around. For standing around in the colder temperatures I also wear a heavy snow pant over my track pants instead of the wind pants. Very rarely wear long underwear, when I'm active I overheat too easily even in the cold weather. Apparently my cotton underlayers are all wrong though, from what I've read on a mushing forum they all recommend synthetics like polypro because it has great wicking capabilities and dries quickly. Cotton takes much longer to dry and can leave you chilled. For socks I love my J.B. Fields Icelandic socks (-30). They're merino wool, nice and soft not itchy and they're a high pile terry knit on the inside. Very comfy and warm. I also have an old pair of mohair socks that are nice and warm and silky feeling, they've just lost their elasticity around the top since they're old. I'm still searching for the perfect glove. I have tiny hands so that limits my choices and although lined work gloves are nice when new I find that eventually they all get wet and then stiff.

I also like lined jeans. My upper body rarely gets cold but I do freeze down below. I'm finally all set this year with boots with good wool socks (or Mucks for wet), lined pants, waterproof bibs (military surplus, on the way), a 'vest, a barn jacket, a rraincoat (military surplu again), and my crazy multipurpose scarf thingy - or military surplus hat for wet.

And, if we have a blizzard (ha!) I can break out the bright plum ccolored ankle length parka. I promise you all - my very first winter trial with Ted, I will wear it to the post.

Instead of Carhart coveralls, I prefer men's wrangler thinsulate-lined blue jeans. Incredible stuff, heavier than flannel or fleece lined jeans. I found them at Cabela's.

These don't happen to come in womens sizes, do they? I wear a size 4 or 6 depending on the brand, and any men's pants seem huge on me