BC Boards

Advice Needed - sheep related

TAC2

Evening all.

Point taken about others learning from information posted. I certainly don't mind constructive criticism, but everyone will eventually reach a point where enough is enough (and I mean in anything, not this thread specifically.) I also don't believe that anyone reading through all the messages in this thread will fail to understand the issues raised and addressed unless they are cheating and skipping most of it.

I'm really surprised that my comments even generated a response...I'm long over it and it really wasn't a big deal, but I am sorry if anyone took my "annoyance" as a personal criticism. We all read internet information through the filter of our own "bias" or subjective opinions/experiences so it does happen that written words can mis-communicate a thought. I am really sorry Bill if my irritation seemed directed at you personally (as indicated by the phrase "in my own defense") when in fact, I was not directing the comment to anyone in particular, but trying to convey the information that I get it already, so if the next person to post is intending to add more of the same, as in "I agree, you shouldn't work the dog" then please don't. I certainly did not intend to insult anyone or disparage the advice already given --- which advice IS appreciated as I've also mentioned previously To 'pick on' Bill again :rolleyes: you (personally) have given honest and sound advice on this and other topics and others have been as forthright and helpful here and elsewhere - thank you.

And just for general input, for those that missed it earlier, I indicated I won't be working the dog near the end of message #10 and again at the beginning of the second paragraph in message #15

Julie: I will contact the trainers you recommended this week. I will also cc: you on my emails unless you would prefer I do not.

And now one last little bit with respect to training. I am almost done with Mr. Holland's Progressive Training book, have ordered Bruce Fogt's book and will add a training DVD to my Xmas Wishlist. Based on reviews I have read, I am leaning toward the Scrimgeour (sp?) DVD set, but which one - old or new; OR is there something better for novices?

Once again - Thank you to everyone for their comments and assistance.

Hmmm, Scrimgeour DVDs - well, I'd say that his first (and I can't remember the name) is a nice overview. His second, The Shepherd's Pup, is longer and more detailed and (I think) more useful. His third, Training Secrets of a Hill Shepherd, utilizes his approach of "dangerous ground" and is pretty detailed, and seems to have a different (or maybe just differently expressed) approach.

I really like his book, Talking Sheepdogs, as a concise summary of stockwork but it has little detail (compared to the books you have mentioned). I like it because, for a novice, I found both those books to be a bit overwhelming when I very first started to learn and Talking Sheepdogs allowed me to see and understand the very basics. Once I had a little bit of experience, I was better prepared to absorb more of what is contained in those two books.

One good thing about books and videos is that they will give you some familiarity with terminology and what to expect (somewhat - reality is never as neat as a video or book, and things happen so fast) so that when you do go for training, you will at least have a bit of a start in understanding what's going on.

Best wishes!

Vergil's book is still my favorite. I have Top Trainers Talk About Starting a Sheepdog and like the different opinions in it. Bruce Fogt's book is good too. I love Pope's book Anybody Can Do It; the first one I ever read many years ago. The Farmers Dog is good too. I ordered a Aussie DVD and CD for the vcr and computer. Will let you know how good it is for training in about a month or so. Narita