BC Boards

Dog shedding and brushes

Mya is a smooth coat BC but she still seems to shed tons around the house, I've read a few threads about the FURminator brush here and am wondering if this would be the brush of choice for a smooth coat like her, or is there something else that may be as good but without the danger of taking too much hair. I'd rather not start the whole "is the FURminator good or bad" thread again (maybe that's not possible), just what would be the best for her coat/recommendations.

Thanks all

Craig & Mya

Ok I think I answered my own question. Just took Mya down to local grooming house and she tested both the furmorator and a standard undercoat rake and the $10 undercoat rake worked just as good. The furmorator seemed to pull more on Mya's skin as well.

So for now I will use the $10 unit.

feel free to pipe in all :rolleyes:

Craig & Mya

Ok I think I answered my own question. Just took Mya down to local grooming house and she tested both the furmorator and a standard undercoat rakeh and the $10 undercoat rake worked just as good. The furmorator seemed to pull more on Mya's skin as well.

So for now I will use the $10 unit.

feel free to pipe in all :rolleyes:

Craig & Mya

I like the undercoat rake too, especially now that there is one with "floating pins" The pins flex in the handle to follow the contours of the dog. They can be found at Jeffers Pet supply online for $3.95 or $4.95

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that the best brush for my Sophia is an old hair brush of my own, natural bristles close set. When she really blows her coat--midsummer, not spring--I just use my fingers to rough her coat the wrong way and I can pull a lot of the loosened hair out and finish up with said brush. Then I just use a comb to clean out the brush. Works better than any dog brush I've ever used. And Sophie likes it to boot.

If you want to see puffs and puffs of under coat come out then I would use one of THESE. Chesney is by no means a really hairy dog but come time for him to shed his coat out, this does the trick! I love it. Also I wouldn't worry about taking too much hair off. If there is no more loose hair to come off, simply brushing a normal amount won't make your dog go bald

Does Chesney like it, Danielle? All my dogs dislike being brushed, so I'm always looking for the brush that will get out the most loose hair in the least possible time...

If you want to see puffs and puffs of under coat come out then I would use one of THESE. Chesney is by no means a really hairy dog but come time for him to shed his coat out, this does the trick! I love it. Also I wouldn't worry about taking too much hair off. If there is no more loose hair to come off, simply brushing a normal amount won't make your dog go bald

Chesney was never too thrilled with being brushed either. At first I think the teeth on the brush might be a little rough so start off more gently. You can flip it to a longer tooth or shorter. Chesney loves it now, it gives him the chills if I go from head to tail in one stroke. Tucker took some getting used to but really enjoys it now. I think at first though you have to start gentle and I found that the tighter you can hold their skin the less it bothers them and the more hair it gets out in one stroke. I have used those brushes on horses for years when they shed out their winter coats, its amazing the amount of hair the brushes get out.

Just add to add my two cents. I have been a vet tech for 20 yrs but have expanded into dog grooming as well for the last couple years. I agree that the rake from Jeffers is wonderful!! It is inexpensive and works great. I like this one because of the two rows of teeth that float. I usually order several at a time since I tend to break mine about every 6 mo. I have used the Furminator and don't really like them. While they do get out a lot of hair they break the coat. I only use them occassionally on slick coated dogs. I also have a few brushed from Chris Christenson systems, a slicker type and a wooden pin brush - both wonderful but a bit $$. You can find them on line also.

Denice