BC Boards

long time no type :rolleyes:

hello all, its been forever since i was on here last, and only have a few moments now but will catch up later.

this weekend a lil black and white pupper is coming to live with me :D

he's black and white and enormous for an 8 week old pup.

but i cannot think of a name for him!

the few i have come up with are;

coda (i have no idea if it means anything but it sounds good!)

drummer, cos i like piper but we know lots of pipers and it will be too confusing!

does anyone know of a good sight for celtic or gaelic names?

thankees in advance!

hope all is good with everyone.

catch up later xx

Two years ago I bought a book of gaelic name and meanings. Darn, I don't remember where. I got it off the internet. Perhaps through Amazon.com

But I like Digby or Nelson. I was saving these names for future but not very likely I'll get to use them any time soon!

Jennifer

I completely suck at thinking up names. I've started using old family names because I'm so un-original.

My point here is, we WILL be expecting pictures as soon as you get your new bundle of furry joy.

:rolleyes:

Oooh picking names!! What fun!!

I like Coda for a name, probably because its close to my old BC, Cody. I like Tank too... I imagine there will be a GSD sometime in my future with some uuber masculine name like Tank, Thor, Diesel, Ajax, or Auto or something like that (it's what the boyfriend wants).

Some of the boy's names I had picked out when I was thinking about getting a pup:

Banjo

Bear

Beau

Copper

Goose

Luke

Phoenix

Rabbit

Rufio

Tucker

Zeb

It's a lot... what can I say I got a *little* excited about getting a pup, so I started a list. They'll come in handy eventually too, I'm sure...

Welcome back, Donna, and great news for you!

You realize that if you name him Brutus, Tank, Fang, etc., that he will probably grow out to be lean and lanky and unimposing. Maybe you should name him Tiny or Midget, and then he will grow to be very large indeed! Guy names and traditional working sheepdog names are always good (like Bill or Moss). You can't go wrong there.

The right name will come - I know because I struggled with all three of mine (Megan was just a small change from her original name of Morgan) and, for each, one day the right name (as far as I was concerned - so what if Bute is traditionally a bitch name and my Bute is male) leapt out at me. Of course, that was after lots of thought and frustration.

Very best wishes!

I like Fergus. :rolleyes:

So do I. My boy who died the Saturday before last was Fergus - I also had wanted a Celtic name. The only problem was - everyone - including me - ended up calling him Fergie (even though I had been determined not to do that.) Still, he didn't care.

Nice to see you back, Donna. Don't be a stranger.

So do I. My boy who died the Saturday before last was Fergus - I also had wanted a Celtic name.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Fergus :rolleyes: (Fergie :D )

My very best wishes to you and yours, Barb,

Ailsa

long time no type :rolleyes:

hello all, its been forever since i was on here last, and only have a few moments now but will catch up later.

this weekend a lil black and white pupper is coming to live with me :D

he's black and white and enormous for an 8 week old pup.

but i cannot think of a name for him!

the few i have come up with are;

coda (i have no idea if it means anything but it sounds good!)

drummer, cos i like piper but we know lots of pipers and it will be too confusing!

does anyone know of a good sight for celtic or gaelic names?

thankees in advance!

hope all is good with everyone.

catch up later xx

I like the name "Gillie" A gillie is a young male retainer of a Clan chief or Laird.

Others:

Angus

Brendan

Douglas

Charlie (as in Bonnie Prince)

Prince

Finn

Sean (Shawn)

Fraser

Tam

Tavish

Keegan

I've always liked the names Sian (I have no idea if it's for a boy or a girl though) and Rhys.

Sian is a girl's name -- Sion is the male version. A popular Welsh children's book back (long ago) when I grew up was Sion y Sian (very roughly translated: "John and Jane").

Edited: Sion is the Welsh equivalent of the Gaelic "Sean".

I have a Tam and he is very masculine indeed. He was named for Tam 0'Shanter, not the hat, but the story.

I have a dog named John Henry because that's a song that I had heard and couldn't get out of my head when he came into my life --- and so it was meant to be.

I've got Sligo, who was named for County Sligo and who would howl whenever he heard "Tu ra lu ra lu ra" (sp?).

My Flick, who died a few weeks ago. Gawd, how I loved that dog, but regretted the name, but it stuck -- named after 2 things -- "My friend Flicka" and what I was told was a Swedish term for "little girl". I remember a series of children's stories with 3 little girls. Their names were Flicka, Dicka and Ricka. I wasn't going with Dicka, so I guess Flicka was meant to be, and now will be forever, my Flick.

Oh, and how can I forget Satchmo. His name fit him so well!! I thought it was fitting at the time because I had Dolly (you know, Hello Dolly and all that), so Satch is a Satchmo through and through.

I think Zulu is kind of a neat name for a dog, but not necessarily a BC.

You'll know the right name when it comes to you. It will be a name you can't get out of your head. That would probably be a sign that it's the right one.

Congrats on your new pup.

It's a lot... what can I say I got a *little* excited about getting a pup, so I started a list. They'll come in handy eventually too, I'm sure...

I have a name picked out for my next dog and it'll be about 100 years before I can get another dog - 3 is my maximum and Tweed's not even 9 years old yet.

RDM

I like the ancient Celtic (or was he technically Gaulic Celt?) leader's name Brennus - he attacked Rome. maybe shortened to Ren if you like a short nickname.

There's also Taranis, god of thunder. Lots of shorts for that one come to mind (Rana like a frog, Taran) Clearly I like the ancient deity motif though. :rolleyes:

Names are so much fun!