BC Boards

SQUIRRELS and other issues

Hi everyone,

Looking for some suggestions on "nice" leash walking. My 8 month old pup, Daisy, pulls almost constantly when we take walks. This is only worsened when a squirrel comes into the picture! She has/will chase it right up the tree and then bite the tree! I have tried the "leave it" command (which works under non-squirrel circumstances), making her sit, giving her a treat, turning the other direction, pulling her away.... She looks up at every tree to try and find a squirrel and will drag me from tree to tree. She was pulling so hard that she was coughing and basically hyperventilating (sp?) on walks. So I bought her a harness so I wouldn't feel like I was choking my dog. That seems to give me more control but it has not fixed the problem. I also have purchased a "pinch" collar witht he rubber tips on it, but have not tried to use it yet.

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

My foster is doing the exact same thing. It's not helping that we currently have a squirrel family of 5 living in our porch. I have found that using the Premier Gentle Leader halter gives me more control and it's easier to direct the dog's attention back to me when I use it.

Using a heavy weight leash has helped our very energetic BC mind his manners when walking with us. Because he is small (35 lbs) we were using a very light weight leash. One day as we started out to walk, I grabbed the heavy nylon leash I had used for our 100-lb male Lab. Suddenly there seemed to be a more clear-cut view of who was walking whom, and who was in charge. Our little guy walked like a champion, heeling on cue and sitting politely when we stopped to chat with a neighbor. No choke collar, no chain, just a heavier leash than he was used to.

Our BC is also obsessive about squirrels, and I can't offer any advice on that subject. His "job" seems to be keeping the squirrels run up the trees, which is just fine with me -- keeps them from digging in my flower beds.

According to my vet, certain creatures (most notably deer, rabbits, and squirrels) who immediately run at the sight of a dog elicit a "prey response" in dogs arising from their wolf ancestry. Annie's response is to react, untill she hears a "STOP!" command; that usually works with deer and rabbits, but is not always foolproof where squirrels are concerned.

Sidebar: Some mornings ago, I was shocked to look out my bathroom window and see the neighbor's cat chasing a full-grown buck in hot pursuit across our backyard, and going after the deer's legs. This cat is already the neighborhood terror with respect to birds, chipmunks, rabbits, and squirrels. Apparently, he is having an identity crisis; he must think he's a mountain lion...

Guest maya's mom

Maya was pulling a lot when we started walks, and though she doesn't care about squirrels, she absolutley freaks when she sees kids on skateboards. Nothing would get her attention away from them........also a number of different methods we used didn't work on the pulling either. What finally has ended up working, is the "super treat". Now when we go on walks, I take a small amount of a treat that she considers to be the best thing ever. It can be whatever works for you dog. I usually use small bits of hot dog, or chicken. These are so highly desirable to her that she will do whatever I ask her to do, in order to get one. In the case of the kids, and in your case, the squirrels, maybe when your dog starts reacting to one, you could get her attention with a "super treat", and continue popping them into her mouth until the distraction has passed. I know it sounds simple, but I was truly amazed at how quickly and easily it worked for us. I know all dogs are different, so I wish you luck!

In the case of the kids, and in your case, the squirrels, maybe when your dog starts reacting to one, you could get her attention with a "super treat", and continue popping them into her mouth until the distraction has passed. I know it sounds simple, but I was truly amazed at how quickly and easily it worked for us. I know all dogs are different, so I wish you luck!

And this is one of the things I do love about this training method: after I had done the "great treat" thing a few times with my dog during his tricky behaviors (say... asking him to walk off the path instead of growling and barking as a terrifying biker approached), he started doing the behaviors himself. It makes kind of an easy conversation: "This is what I want you to do when you see X." When my dog was brand new, and didn't know me or the "correct" behaviors in a semi-urban, uptight environment, this was a great blessing - to be able to "tell" him what I wanted.

As for squirrels and such... not sure how to get attention from an adolescent with a strong prey drive. I know my dog chased a cat exactly once when he was on leash. Just about pulled my arm out of its socket (16' leash!), and just about choked himself. Lesson learned. He never tugged hard on his leash again. :rolleyes: But he was a 2-year-old, fully mature boy. Teenagers are TOUGH!

Mary

I have been a vet tech for nearly 20 years now and the leash pulling thing is universal. Of course add something that the dog would really enjoy getting to and no matter the size of the dog it is always a struggle to hold them back and get their attention. Not sure how well I can describe this without showing you but this is my no fail how to walk on a leash lesson. It is called "loose your dog." Basically you walk with your dog in the heel position on a loose 6ft lead. I walk with one hand holding the end of the leash and the hand next to the dog holding the leash about 3 ft from the dog. If the dog is not watching you or paying attention they will eventually get ahead or off to the side of you. You give them the lead to do thisby dropping the leash from your hand close to the dog, and holding the end of the leash with both hands now for the correction, and turn sharply with a pop of the leash - just a jerk and release- and go quickly the other way. So anytime the dog isn't paying attention you let him continue toward the end of the line a jerk and go the other way away from the dog. The dog thinks hey where is she going? she is not coming with me? If it done correctly the responce is nearly immediate and they will begin to watch you and pay attention to where you are going. You have to make the walk interesting though, lots of turns and stops and differnt pace so they learn they have to pay attention and not just walk straight from here to there. Of course prasie when they are paying attention. I then add a command that it is ok for them to be in front of me and do whatever as long as they are not pulling on the leash.

Let me know how that works for you. I also have a great thing that works for jumping up on people.

Denice, RVT

My dogs do not get to use a leash on the farm - all fenced. When it is necessary to leash the dog, I just use my walking stick/crook. When we walk, the crook is waving in front of the dog`s face. This teaches the dog to not pull ahead - short leash then gradually longer leash. Talking or encouraging will give a type of command to relate to the good positioning of the dog. Eventually, you just need to wave a hand in front of the dog with your accustomed words. This is easy for everyone.