BC Boards

Fetching With my BC

So I've been fetching with Samson for a little less than a year now and he's just started something that is kind of annoying. Whenever I fetch with him now, he is all excited, runs after the ball, but then lays down where he finds the ball. He doesnt bring it back and when he does it's hesitantly and usually doesnt bring it back to me but takes it near me and lays down. I like fetchin with him cause it gives him his exercise, but it doesnt do much now because he runs to it once and then doesnt bring it back. if he does, I'll throw it again and he'll do the same routine and lay down where he found it.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions? i'm thinking maybe he's just bored with fetch but he always seems really excited when he see's me with the chuck'it.

Thanks

No real suggestions--Whisper doesn't fetch. The only time she even entertained the notion (and actually did it half a dozen times before deeming it dull beyond words) was with some sort of small skull.

Maybe it's the toy? Or perhaps change the fetch routine to make it more challenging?

well, I'm going to wait for responses to this one, cause my older mix does the exact same thing. He didn't fetch when I got him, and we thought it was great when he finally chased the ball.

I've tried the "use two balls" method, where he brings back the first ball so he can go fetch the next one you throw. I've tried the "give him a treat method" where you exchange the fetched ball for a treat. Both worked as long as you had the second ball or the treat in your hand. But we could never get him to just bring it back without the "props". He truly enjoys getting the ball and laying down with it...you can tell by how he looks at you when he lays down with it. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, the new border collie is a ball fanatic and brings it right back so you will throw it again..and again..and again..and again...to infinity. :D

You can try a couple things

1. Have the 2 ball thing and he brings one back to get the next one thrown

2. Give him a treat for returning with the ball or whatever

3. You can try following him and when he gets to the ball, turn and run away from him

4. You can also just end the game and go inside. By going to get the ball when he lies down, you taught him you will get the ball once he chases it so no need to return it.

5. You can put him on a leash and reel him once he gets to the ball. Start off at small distances and then add to it.

6. Basically retrain the fetch

7. Give up and find another way to exercise the dog

Some dogs just don't like to play fetch and others make up their own rules to playing fetch.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions? i'm thinking maybe he's just bored with fetch but he always seems really excited when he see's me with the chuck'it.

Thanks

Hi,

It sounds like you've tried quite a few different things to get Samson to fetch and return the ball....If your dog likes treats, have you tried cutting a slit in a tennis ball and stuffing small pieces of cheese, chicken or some kind of treat inside of the ball? If Samson wants a cookie he has to bring the ball back to you to get it for him. My dogs learned pretty quickly that the faster I get the ball to mom, the quicker I get a cookie!

At first they thought about chewing on the ball to get the cookies, but I attached a long line to the collar so that didn't become an issue. It didn't take long for them to figure out the game=)

HTH~

Janet