BC Boards

growth on lower lip

Today i noticed a wierd pink growth (about the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil) on Orbit's lower lip. It looks a bit like a human wart. Orbit is almost 7 months old, he is fed a raw diet and veggie snacks and peanut butter in his kong (but my 11 year old Laska eats the same and she is fine). Normally i would rush to the vet tomorrow but i was wondering if maybe this is normal. Any thoughts?

Maybe I'm just paranoid....but I'd be headed to the vet. If it's just a wart, the vet will be happy that you're paying him for that. If it's something else, you'll be glad to have that info. If it just "appeared," vs. growing slowly (or maybe you didn't see it before now), I'd be heading quickly to the vet.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

diane (who had a dog with oral melanoma, under his tongue, so yes, paranoia reigns....sorry!)

I'd go to the vet also. Years ago my 11yr. lold lab/terrier dog, Reilly, had some of those. Her's turned out to be warts, but you never know. The vet still had to remove them to be sure.

Could be Canine Papilloma Virus, which causes warts in the mouth in puppies. If that's it, nothing the vet can do, it'll go away on its own (can take weeks though). It is contagious to other puppies though. I'd take him to the vet just to find out what it is for sure. Otherwise, you're going to be worrying about it!

A couple years ago, all the dogs who walked with me and Buddy caught this - one after the other. It was the papilloma (wart) virus, I think, though these dog were all several years old. Buddy never got it - one of the joys of having a socially awkward dog who cannot share toys. :rolleyes: (Come to think of it, they all caught kennel cough from each other, too... and Buddy never got it.)

All the other dogs looked icky for a while, then got better.

Good luck

Mary

Hudson had one of these, and the vet examined it (as did my friend, who is also a vet- and always my backup!) and said it was basically a spontaneous growth that should go away within a few weeks. It was gone just like the vet said, and we have never seen one since (that was a year ago).

I hope it is nothing serious

Thanks for the replies. I slept much better last night knowing that people had seen something like this before (Orbit is my first pup). We went to the vet today and she confirmed that it is in fact canine papilloma (sp?) virus. Basically he may get more growths or not over the next 3 months. He got an immuno booster and now we monitor. Thanks again!!

• 3 years later...

I realize that this is an old post, but I had a question about papillomas and didn't feel the need to make a new topic.

My dog (abt 2yo) has one inside his ear, right where the ear meets his head at the top. The vet squished it off the when I first found it, but within 3 weeks its back and much bigger than the first time( about the size of a robin's egg). My vet wants to put him under and burn it off so it doesn't come back. However, I think I read above that some of you waited and the papilloma went away. Will this happen or should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and have it removed?

Thanks!

Mary