BC Boards

Need help on a non-interrested dog

I have a dog, 2 1/2, that has been with sheep 4 times over the course of 1 1/2 yrs. Each time, he shows no interrest in the sheep. None, not to chase, nothing. We have tried him in a small round pen. We tried him in a larger pen, with my other dog working the sheep. In the same pen with another dog working. Nothing. This is a well bred dog, and as far as I have been told, the rest of the litter has been working. The reason it has been 4 times in 1 1/2 yrs. is I was told, well lets give him some more time. I realize that some dogs draw the joker card in the gene pool, but I want to make sure, before giving up on him. He is a fearful little guy of loud noises, but most anything new, he is curious about. I don't have my own sheep, but go to my trainer. My other dog that is trained will sometimes herd my chickens around, and Skip has no interrest in this either. Instead, he searches the fence lines in the tall grass looking for vermin, I think. It has been suggested to maybe leave Skip with the trainer for a week or so, to see if that helps. My concern is that he has been raised in the house and I am not sure how he would react to being kenneled so much and away from everything he has known. And no, it's not a matter of me spoiling him, or that I think it's a problem for dogs to be kenneled, it's just that he is not used to it. I know Border Collies that end up in shelters, will start shutting down. I don't want to ruin his personality, and him still not want sheep. ANY suggestions will be appreciated. Including leaving him at trainers. :rolleyes:

I have a dog, 2 1/2, that has been with sheep 4 times over the course of 1 1/2 yrs. Each time, he shows no interrest in the sheep. None, not to chase, nothing. We have tried him in a small round pen. We tried him in a larger pen, with my other dog working the sheep. In the same pen with another dog working. Nothing. This is a well bred dog, and as far as I have been told, the rest of the litter has been working. The reason it has been 4 times in 1 1/2 yrs. is I was told, well lets give him some more time. I realize that some dogs draw the joker card in the gene pool, but I want to make sure, before giving up on him. He is a fearful little guy of loud noises, but most anything new, he is curious about. I don't have my own sheep, but go to my trainer. My other dog that is trained will sometimes herd my chickens around, and Skip has no interrest in this either. Instead, he searches the fence lines in the tall grass looking for vermin, I think. It has been suggested to maybe leave Skip with the trainer for a week or so, to see if that helps. My concern is that he has been raised in the house and I am not sure how he would react to being kenneled so much and away from everything he has known. And no, it's not a matter of me spoiling him, or that I think it's a problem for dogs to be kenneled, it's just that he is not used to it. I know Border Collies that end up in shelters, will start shutting down. I don't want to ruin his personality, and him still not want sheep. ANY suggestions will be appreciated. Including leaving him at trainers. :rolleyes:

With a dog that age, and showing such a disinterest, I would find something else to do with him...agility, being your pet, whatever you enjoy.

A house dog going to a kenneled environment won't necessarily change their personality, but do your homework...reputable trainer, training philosphy matches yours, no use of shock collars ever for stock work(which will change their personality!), a clean comfortable safe kennel and exercise in addition to the training....

That being said...refer to my first sentence!~

Vergil