BC Boards

BC on a chain. . .

I think this discussion is worth while allbeit speculation. I find the comments really interesting and it shows me other's ideas.

No one is saying to steal the dog. That would be quite ridiculous. When I was going to take the dog (Casey), in my early twenties, and found the owner more than willing to give her up, I was being real dumb and was ready to pay any price. Would never suggest that to anyone now.

The best idea I guess is to call Animal Control. If they investigate and find everything is AOK, then Prosperia is mistaken (luckily) and that may be the end of it. Then again, Animal Control could go and find the dog in bad shape, take the dog in and it's there for the 6 days or whatever before they euthanize, or it gets adopted.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little word to support firchow...

Minding your own business IS a virtue, to a certain degree. With strangers it is rude to point the finger and say "hey! you. 'I' think there is something wrong!" When there is no clear signs of abuse. Of course, it is very sad when animals apear to be unhappy, but to get it straight there are a lot of unhappy creatures on this earth and it's not going to help if people just run around pointing fingers.

The best thing to do is not be a nosey, nosey "I'll tell someone about you" type of person. Be constructive! Have a freindly chat and show them that if they don't want such a big load you'll help them push it some. This gets to the root of the problem instead of taking the easy way out.

Prosperia,

I live in New Kent about 20 minutes from you. I have an unused Dogloo house. Ask the people if they want it so both dogs can have a house. I don't think that would offend them. In the cold weather coming up both dogs should have their own house so neither has to be outside.

I too support firchow. I personally just dont see enough problem to be very concerned. That's JMHO and I know that your heart is in the right place

I just am not sure that she is neglected just by being on a chain when you come by, I dont consider that neglect. And I know that if she is being cared for it will put you in an awkward position and possibly them in a defensive angry one.

Like MydogMilton said. If you are really concerned, go have a nice chit chat. Say you though she was cute and, I dunno was wondering the breed or something to get the convo off to a nice start. Good luck if you decide to say something.

Originally posted by mydogMilton:

Just a little word to support firchow...

Minding your own business IS a virtue, to a certain degree. With strangers it is rude to point the finger and say "hey! you. 'I' think there is something wrong!" When there is no clear signs of abuse. Of course, it is very sad when animals apear to be unhappy, but to get it straight there are a lot of unhappy creatures on this earth and it's not going to help if people just run around pointing fingers.

The best thing to do is not be a nosey, nosey "I'll tell someone about you" type of person. Be constructive! Have a freindly chat and show them that if they don't want such a big load you'll help them push it some. This gets to the root of the problem instead of taking the easy way out.

Big ditto.

If you feel the dog is suffering I'd report them, to many people look the other way and that is why abuse towards animals goes on. I don't agree with chaining a dog all day. When we lived on the farm our Border Collie was rarely on a chain and she became a much loved family pet.

When we lived on the farm our Border Collie was rarely on a chain and she became a much loved family pet.
The difference here is that if you live on a farm, far away from roads and neighbors, you can have a dog free to roam.

Being on a chain doesnt mean they arent a much loved family pet, it just means that they, either didnt have the money or resources to build a fence, or they dont see it as a problem. Being chained doesnt mean they are abused, neglected or unloved.

Ummmmm, just to clarify, I have to know what you mean by

Being chained doesnt mean they are abused, neglected or unloved.
Are you referring to chaining just for an hour or two, three, to keep them from running into the street while in the yard or the dog that lives it's life on a chain 24/7?

Dogs (Border Collies in particular) are highly social creatures and, like it or not, chaining them outside isolates them from close contact with humans and other dogs. I don't have a problem with chaining for a couple hours, but I do have a problem with the dogs that rarely get off the chain.

Chaining 24/7 is neglect. Perhaps the dog is fed, watered and maybe given a pat every day, but it is missing out on a vital part of being a dog. That being said, I don't think there is anything you can legally do about it. You'll just look like you're meddling if you try to do much for that poor dog. :rolleyes:

In this case I'd ask if the owners are interested in your help. Not necessarily giving the dog to you permanently, but letting you take her for a walk, perhaps. Just doing something to get her off the chain and give her some exercise. The answer will likely be no, and by then I'd probably leave it alone. Maybe occasionally bring a couple nice bones over for the dogs to chew.

Poor girl.

Originally posted by KJ:

Ummmmm, just to clarify, I have to know what you mean by

quote:
Being chained doesnt mean they are abused, neglected or unloved.
Are you referring to chaining just for an hour or two, three, to keep them from running into the street while in the yard or the dog that lives it's life on a chain 24/7? I dont think that chaining is that bad. If the dog is played with daily, loved and fed IMO I dont mind it. I know plenty of chianed dogs that are happy, healthy and loved and spend their time, when not being played with, on a chain along the front porch, or the yard with a dog house and what not. I have already said a few times that I dont think it's wrong.

I wouldnt do it, because I dont trust chains, people and animals that come along, but that doesnt mean I think it's wrong.

Just doing something to get her off the chain and give her some exercise.
We dont know that this dog spends all of it's time on the chain, just that it is out there the time of the day that the mail is delivered.

Well, it's all opinion. To each his own.

I had a friend growing up that had a Rottie. The family kept the Rottie in the laundry room. That's where the dog lived. Period. It was let outside to go potty, but lived in a 6x8 or so laundry room with the washer and dryer.

That's no life for a dog IMO. I don't think there should be 'outside' dogs either. I dont' see the point of getting a dog if you aren't going to interact with it. But the Rottie was NOT abused or neglected. It was just *there*... kinda like being on a chain.

Also I have seen very underweight horses around town and come to find out that they were rescues taken in and were on the road to recovery, not the other way around.

It think more info should be gathered on the chained BC mix before the owner is GIVEN more info by the OP.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this but I've been busy. However, I want to clarify something I said.

re: Mydogmilton's post, "And Susan... snooping around TRYING to make the dog "look" neglected seems untruthful. Baaaaaad idea."

You're right and I agree completely. That's not what I was implying. Sorry for the confusion.

What I meant was simply this:

1. What exactly constitutes animal neglect in the op's area and had she researched this?

2. Does that dog meet this criteria?

It sounds like she needs more information.

This is obviously a very difficult issue. I think this board is fairly cohesive in terms of how we feel dogs shoud be treated. Emotionally, we would love to see every dog (and other creature) in a home where it was loved and cared for to our standards. However, none of us would want someone else imposing their standard on us.

However, how would you feel if someone like people from ELF (Earth Liberation Front) tried to "liberate" your companion animal or livestock because they did not approve of keeping any animal confined? Or if they tried to "educate" you about the horrorible life lived by companion animals? Standards vary among people and subcultures and I wouldn't want someone else dictating how I care for my animals because I honestly believe that I have their best interests in mind.

I, for one, am leary of increased legislation restricting how we care for our animals. I would hate to be told that I couldn't ever tie my dog up outside. My dogs spend very little time outside unattended but there have been times when it was necessary or even prefered.

If you can legislate that dogs can never be tied outside unattended, it's not a big jump to legislating that dogs can never be left in a car unattended. That would certainly put a crimp in my dogs' lifestyle. What would that mean for people who use their dogs for herding or therapy work? People who compete in agility trials or just enjoy having a "go everywhere" companion?

What about legislation that restricts herding because of stress on the livestock and dogs? Legislation that prohibits agility and flyball because of the risk of injury?

Just things to think about when you consider the idea of additional legislation.

Lisa

lrayburn, I COMPLETELY agree.