BC Boards

Another Newcomer....

Hello to all the BC Enthusiasts! I have a "Catch 22" question I hope someone can help me with.

First a little background. We (me, DH, youngest child - oldest is away at college) live in a rapidly developing rural area in Central Virginia. Over the years we've had many types of livestock but the current residents are - three goats, three sheep (with more to arrive in spring - hopefully during lambing - and by purchase), three LGD (one of whom is in need of a new home W/O poultry) two house dogs (a Westie and a Portuguese Water Dog with PHD - Portie Hyperactivity Disorder :rolleyes: ), a kitty, five ducks and 30 or so chickens. With family slowly shrinking and stock slowly expanding, I will be in need of some assistance around the farm and I think a working BC may be perfect...HOWEVER... I also work outside the home, know nothing about herding training (though I have worked with equines, dogs, sheep, goats and mini-donks over the years and can "read" stock pretty well) and can only be away from the farm for training but so long ( Herding folks in VA???). The DH is a firefighter-paramedic with a crazy schedule who helps when he is available, supervises dogs on days I am cannot and play ball/frisbee with them periodically but has no interest in training, though perhaps maybe in SAR. We also lost our beloved GSD last year who we trained in Schutzhund under the Ernstings (NVK9Academy & Podium Sch. Club) and have had several other dogs over the years.

During college, I was briefly (long, sad story) owned by a BC/Terrier cross rescue who was my most favorite dog next to the GSD so I am somewhat familiar with BC temperament. Our household rule is NO critters on furniture or in bedrooms and we start this training from the get-go so I know it can be done...even with cats. But if a human gets down onto the dogs' turf i.e. the floor, (s)he is fair game! Currently, DH has reached his limit with destructive behaviors (the Portie is 10 months old...we're calling her JAWS) particularly since the things getting destroyed are his. YES, he is really bad about putting things away and puppy proofing so its really no big surprise things get chewed! Therefore, I'm thinking an older dog or rescue. A little more time for this phase to pass might be helpful before I actually bring home a new dog (next year?) We've also discussed getting another shepherd, but our house is poorly laid out and the evening zoomies can get really hectic. My aging knees can't take the big dog body slams (accidental of course) any more so I'd prefer a medium sized dog like the BC with less weight behind them (though I am aware that a moving dog weighs ten times more!) On the other hand, a rescue may have issues I can't deal with - no desire to work (this is the Primary reason for getting the dog), dog-on-dog aggression (I don't what to deal with issues of who can be in what room with whom at any given time), couch potatoes --- literally --- and of course stock killers.

So what do you think? Would a BC be happy here given all the pros and cons of our situation? We have plenty of work when folks are home, but there would also be lots of time when the dogs are home alone to entertain each other (GULP! :D that is scary!) Would a rescue work? I know there is a VA Assn for BCs --- is there a list of trainers that work with the humans as well as the dogs? Our three sheep have been worked with BCs by their breeders, goats haven't a clue and the chickens are used to being scattered to the four winds by the Portie. I've also thought about training the Portie to herd since she loves "chasing" the stock, but she is too scatter brained and squirrelly to really work.

Thank you for any comments or insights! We will also be attending the Richmond Celtic Highland Games on Oct. 26th if anyone will be there for the herding demo.

~ Tru

Laingcroft

www.freewebs.com/laingcroft

Tru,

Phew!

Don't be alarmed that you haven't gotten responses yet. There have been a lot of newbies in the last 24 hours it seems!

I have nothing to offer you except getting an older, perhaps working, rescue is a great idea and I'm sure others can point you in the right direction, perhaps even some who have a beastie ready for a home.

A PWD and a Westie??!! Well, if you get a bc, they'll be whipped into shape in no time :rolleyes:

Good luck and welcome!

Ailsa

Welcome! It's late so I won't write much, but I think an adult border collie could work for you. Virginia has a very active stockdog community and you probably can find someone fairly close to you to help with training. Depending on what your goals are, you ought to be able to find an adult dog to save yourself from the puppy craziness (and it's smart to consider that), as well as to be able to start working (helping with your livestock) right away (as opposed to having to wait for a pup to mature to an age where it can be trained).

J.

I'm 30 min from Danville, 90 min from Lynchburg and Richmond (well, the west side of Richmond), so central VA is my stomping ground more or less. There's plenty of opportunity! You should be able to find a dog that has some potential without having to go through the agonies of raising a pup. If I needed a dog Right This Second that's the route I'd go.

Welcome!

Welcome! 

Do some research here using the "search" function at the top of the page and you will find that "rescue dog" is not synonymous with " having issues".  There are several terrific rescues that work in the VA area - Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue and Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue are two that I can recommend. 

A fostered and evaluated rescue dog is much more of a known quantity than a puppy, which can come from a great breeding but which won't show its true colors in terms of usefulness and temperment for some time.  Both rescues mentioned have the ability and resources to test dogs for stockworking ability to a useful extent. 

As pointed out, a rescue will enable you to avoid the puppy craziness, and the demands that go along with having a young pup.  By the way, crate-training can be a terrific alternative to dogs being loose and "entertaining" themselves when you are not home.  You can find a lot on that topic through the search function as well. 

Virginia Border Collie Association is a great group of people and very active. Check out their website and see if there are members near you, or get recommends for trainers in your area. Better yet, go to one of their trials and volunteer (there are great jobs for newcomers at any trial), and meet people face to face. Find someone whose dog-handling you admire, and walk up and ask about trainers and training (just don't do it before they run their dog - do it after).

Best wishes! 

Bless your heart, you do have a busy life!

I wouldn't know if a Border Collie would ease your workload or not, sometimes a bucket of grain and stock savvy is enough, but all the above ideas/folks are right in their thoughts and are good contacts.

You can contact anyone from the VBCA (www.virginiabordercollieassociation.com/ ) for help and contacts, I personally would recommend considering an older retiring dog to see if you really need one and to learn the handling ropes. Maybe attending a training clinic and watching some dogs and meeting some folks would be helpful to you if you can get away for a day. There are a couple coming up soon.

My dear friend Karen Thompson (New Kent VA) is putting on the herding demo for the Richmond Highland Games that day, and will surely be happy to talk to you, and she may know of a handler with such a dog. I'm helping her out that day, hope to meet you there. I'm in Ashland, Center of the Universe, which you might know, seeing how you're in Central VA. (LOL)

...current residents are - three goats, three sheep (with more to arrive in spring - hopefully during lambing - and by purchase), three LGD (one of whom is in need of a new home W/O poultry) two house dogs (a Westie and a Portuguese Water Dog with PHD - Portie Hyperactivity Disorder :rolleyes: ), a kitty, five ducks and 30 or so chickens.

:D

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sorry, that's what popped into my head as my eyes started to bug whilst reading your loong list.

Don't have any advice, just a hearty "welcome" to you and your menagerie.

(Now, how 'bout some pics?)

Welcome! 

Do some research here using the "search" function at the top of the page and you will find that "rescue dog" is not synonymous with " having issues".  There are several terrific rescues that work in the VA area - Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue and Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue are two that I can recommend. 

A fostered and evaluated rescue dog is much more of a known quantity than a puppy, which can come from a great breeding but which won't show its true colors in terms of usefulness and temperment for some time.  Both rescues mentioned have the ability and resources to test dogs for stockworking ability to a useful extent. 

As pointed out, a rescue will enable you to avoid the puppy craziness, and the demands that go along with having a young pup.  By the way, crate-training can be a terrific alternative to dogs being loose and "entertaining" themselves when you are not home.  You can find a lot on that topic through the search function as well. 

Virginia Border Collie Association is a great group of people and very active. Check out their website and see if there are members near you, or get recommends for trainers in your area. Better yet, go to one of their trials and volunteer (there are great jobs for newcomers at any trial), and meet people face to face. Find someone whose dog-handling you admire, and walk up and ask about trainers and training (just don't do it before they run their dog - do it after).

Best wishes! 

Thanks Sue. I do realize rescue is not synonymous with issues, but there are those that do have issues of various types. I just listed the things I won't take on.

As for crates, I've been raising dogs a good 30+ years now and we always use crates. When the dogs are older and house reliable they aren't crated or exercise-penned all day (only during puppy/housebreaking) so they are essentially free to get into mischief if they choose on the days no one is here. Most often they sleep and store up energy for when the humans do get home --- the Zoomie time. However, the thought of a BC, PWD and Westie together and the trouble they could think up is rather frightening :D:rolleyes:

I've been to the Montpelier Trial twice - three years ago and just this year. That's how I found out about the VA Assn. Already been to their site as well and found this board through following the links. We'll also attend the demo at the Richmond Highland Games (Celtic Festival) too.

Thanks again!

~ Tru

Laingcroft

:rolleyes:

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sorry, that's what popped into my head as my eyes started to bug whilst reading your loong list.

Don't have any advice, just a hearty "welcome" to you and your menagerie.

(Now, how 'bout some pics?)

:D Don't know about a partridge, but we did have a peacock in a maple tree once! Scared the bejeebers out of me -- really horrible sound they make for such a pretty bird!

Don't know how to post pictures here yet, but you can see plenty of pics on our website. Just be aware that Freewebs will sometimes lock in frames and you can't just hit the back key out - must enter a new email addy or use your favorites/bookmarks. We are in search of a formal (paid) webhost if you have any to recommend.

~ Tru

Laingcroft

we have placed a few rescues in working homes. One of our fosters has a working sheep farm and has a lot of experience with working BCs. Two of my own rescued BCs work sheep. One was a former city pet and the other came from a farmer who bred BCs but didn't work them. He passed away and the dogs came to me. I placed 6 and kept one.

Not sure about other rescue groups but we very rarely see failed working dogs or dogs that have killed livestock. Most of the dogs we get in were sold into inexperience pet homes. Training a working dog takes a lot of time. You might want to consider an already trained working dog, but if you are interested in a rescue that has been tried on sheep we are located near Richmond. You can visit our site, ARC Border Collie Rescue at www.arcbcr.org.

Emily