BC Boards

Protective of items towards other dogs

Hey all, I have a recent issue that's developed with River, my 7 month old pup. Basically, in the last week (although it did happen like one time when she was around 5 months old) she's started to get very protective of what she considers "her stuff" (ie food mainly, certain toys, and sometimes even the water bowl) from other dogs. I don't have any other pets so she only gets the chance to show this at my brother's place (he has a Jack Russell, who of course isn't going to back down to an imposing threat) and at the dog park. Last night at my brother's River got the chance to get to my brother's dog's food bowl which had food in it still when I got there (this was partly my fault because the one time it happened when she was around 5 months was over food between my brother's dog and River, so we usually try to pick the food up when they're in the same room together). She started to eat it and when Hannah (the Jack Russell) came up to her, they got into a little spat that could have ended with Hannah getting hurt, since River has like 30 lbs on her, but luckily they were both fine. Then this morning at the dog park, River was protective of the tennis ball with a pit bull. When River showed her teeth to the pit bull, the pit bull of course didn't back down and they got into a little spat as well but the pit bull's owner had very good control over his dog and he was able to just call her off and no one got hurt. Since I normally free feed River, when I got back from the dog park I stuck my hand in her bowl and such while she was eating just to make sure she hasn't developed any aggression towards me. I'm also going to check to make sure she's not aggressive towards any of my friends while she's eating since I haven't really noticed it developing towards people but I also free feed her, so I rarely check.

So anyway, I understand that protectiveness is kind of a natural behavior for most dogs and I realize it's not AS MUCH of a big deal when it's towards other dogs as compared to people but I still don't think it's an acceptable behavior and I would like to be able to stop it, especially since I don't want it to ever escalate to where either River hurts the other dog or where she gets hurt. So I'm looking for any advice on this situation since I don't have another dog at home to work on it with (the only time she's really around other dogs is at the dog park which is still pretty often, though, since I go nearly every day). Thanks for any advice you're willing to offer. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't allow it. But thats just my personal wishs with my dogs. If my dog kept that up, I would be hesitant to bring him/her anywhere around other dogs. Let alone a dog park.

If you don't do anything to correct the behaviuor, it could stay the same, but it could also get worse. I wouldn't take that chance and not doing anything.

Yeah, I don't want to allow it. I want to stop the behavior. I'm just not sure the most effective way to stop it - since it's a new behavior do you think consistent correcting of it should work? If so - I can only really work on that at the dog park but since I go there often enough it should still be pretty consistent.

Yes, normal behavior, not the same as resource guarding to a human, but definately should be controlled.

Prevention of it getting worse is the first thing. Your dog is an adolescent, and sitting down multiple bowls of food for several dogs that really don't know each other, and you don't have 100% control of, is something a professional would even hesitate about. The Jack was wrong to approach another dog's food (I would have stopped it right there by making the Jack back off), but unfortunately because it happened both dogs are now on edge expecting food to be taken away or to be attacked "out of the blue". Best bet to prevent problems in these situations is to feed both dogs seperately unless you have complete control. In my house the rule is you get nothing I don't hand to you, and the only food/food bowl you are allowed to eat from is the one I give you. That's how you feed a dozen dogs at one time with no fighting. Bowl Patrol (cleaning up the leftovers - real and imagined) is the job of my oldest dog and no one disputes her. She also check crates and kennels for leftovers :rolleyes:

You can ruin a dog's behavior quickly by allowing things to "just happen". A big part of preventing a dog from building a big head of steam of "gotta keep my stuff safe" mentality is to not allow him to be bullied or frightened into giving up his stuff to another dog.

As for the dog park - the first guarding episode means the ball disappears. You can be polite about it, "oh so very sorry, MY BALL", but be firm and consistant. Also remember most dog parks are free-for-alls in the worst possible way. Your dog should be able to play and keep his ball safe without fighting but you can't force other people's dogs to abide by such polite rules. Best best? Don't play ball there when it's crowded or another dog is a pest. Remember, your adolescent dog may "win" (and rightly so) but each fight decreases his tolerance for other dogs mistake behavior. The end price will be paid by you.