BC Boards

Another Teeter Question

I didn't want to hijack the other teeter question so I created a new one.

My border collie, Cressa, DOES NOT like metal teeters. We have always use/practice on a wood teeter. As a pup she was scared of the teeter (the noise and the movement). After a LOT of practice she was sailing over the teeter into the 2o2o position.

The first time she was over a metal one was in a competition I treated it like a normal teeter just sending her over it. The second it hit the ground she jump off with a start and gave it a VERY DIRTY LOOK (we do 2o2o). I didn't make an issue of it since she can stress over me being upset. After that she actually refused to touch any teeter for the next 3 months. Just hearing the teeter would make her run for the door. I re-taught her teeter by having her jump on at the breaking point of the wood teeter. A lot of dogs were having issues with the metal teeter and were complaining so the instructor got rid of the metal teeter.

The problem is when we go to other agility trial they are using the metal teeter. At the trial where the metal teeter are used she goes over them either cautiously and slow or she jumps off before it breaks or goes around it or jumps off at the end with out doing her 2o2o. She will go over it if I send her over it a second time just not the first. The wood teeters she doesn't have any issues with.

My question is how do get her use to metal teeter and fly over them like she does with the wood teeters?

Thanks for any help,

SSC

I would teach it to her as a completely different obstacle. Go right back to the start by getting her to touch it, bang it, jump on the end etc. Teach it the same way you taught the wooden one and make sure she is completely comfortable with it before getting her to do a full run over it.

I see a couple things that made this entirely predictable and therefore preventable. You have a dog with a history of noise and movement issues, who didn't like teeters and when she finally started doing a wooden teeter, you put her on an entirely new teeter *in competition* and expected her to sail over it when it might as well have been an entirely new obstacle she'd never seen before.

A lot of dogs were having issues with the metal teeter and were complaining so the instructor got rid of the metal teeter.

JMO, but this makes your instructor an idiot twice over. First, in four years of trialing I have seen one wooden teeter and countless metal teeters, including every teeter used at Regionals and Nationals (I realize this may differ based on where you live but clearly you have metal teeters too). Second, if you have lots of dogs having issues with the same thing, I would venture a guess that the issue is the instructor.

How did your instructor teach the teeter in the first place?

My question is how do get her use to metal teeter and fly over them like she does with the wood teeters?

Train it like you would a new obstacle. She's sound sensitive so you need to teach her bang games or similar so she'll learn to love noise. She's movement sensitive so you need to desensitize her to that. You can get her to do the teeter between two tables, or teach it low and increase the height, or play teeter surfing games...there are a few ways to teach really good teeters.

You need to find a variety of teeters to practice on - not all metal teeters are the same. Some are heavy steel, some light, some aluminum. Some have rubber coatings, some rubber sheets, some sand grit. Some have wood surfaces and others have sheet aluminum. For a solid dog who has no sound or movement or height issues, these variations are probably not going to cause much of an issue and some people can train on one teeter and have their dog do great on all teeters.

As an instructor, I've found that most teeter issues are from pushing the dog too fast before they understand and are comfortable with each step.

Also with metal teeters the impact and vibration are totally different to a dog through her shoulders and spine. I would go back and retrain from the ground up switching between the wood and metal. I would have her pause at the pivot point and then run to the end, it will help with that impact on her body. Remember all should be positive, if you need to help at the pivot point ease the board down gradually releasing earlier and earlier.

No need to be rude! (unless I took it the wrong way)

I see a couple things that made this entirely predictable and therefore preventable. You have a dog with a history of noise and movement issues, who didn't like teeters and when she finally started doing a wooden teeter, you put her on an entirely new teeter *in competition* and expected her to sail over it when it might as well have been an entirely new obstacle she'd never seen before.

She had teeter problems as a pup but for the last 2yrs has LOVED the teeter. I seriously didn't think she would have an issue with it. No one thought they were going to have an issue with it. Of course it could of been the people making the issues and the dogs picking up on it. LOL Excellent handler sure don't like surprises.

JMO, but this makes your instructor an idiot twice over. First, in four years of trialing I have seen one wooden teeter and countless metal teeters, including every teeter used at Regionals and Nationals (I realize this may differ based on where you live but clearly you have metal teeters too). Second, if you have lots of dogs having issues with the same thing, I would venture a guess that the issue is the instructor.

She is actually one of the top agility instructors in the US. A lot of people were talking about dropping out of class and trial because of it. Also she is generally the one holding the trial so whatever equipment she owns is used thus no problem. Most of the trial I have gone to that she wasn't holding still had wood teeters. This was the first time in over a year that we ran into metal teeters again.

How did your instructor teach the teeter in the first place?

On the lowest setting possible on sheepskin the gradually raising it to full height while adding noise.

Train it like you would a new obstacle. She's sound sensitive so you need to teach her bang games or similar so she'll learn to love noise. She's movement sensitive so you need to desensitize her to that. You can get her to do the teeter between two tables, or teach it low and increase the height, or play teeter surfing games...there are a few ways to teach really good teeters.

You need to find a variety of teeters to practice on - not all metal teeters are the same. Some are heavy steel, some light, some aluminum. Some have rubber coatings, some rubber sheets, some sand grit. Some have wood surfaces and others have sheet aluminum. For a solid dog who has no sound or movement or height issues, these variations are probably not going to cause much of an issue and some people can train on one teeter and have their dog do great on all teeters.

As an instructor, I've found that most teeter issues are from pushing the dog too fast before they understand and are comfortable with each step.

Thank you for your suggestions! Now I just need to find a metal teeter. LOL

We came back from a message seminar! Cressa uses her front to slam down on the teeter which takes alot of the impact. Not sure but I think this is causing her metal teeter issue. I am currently trying to incourage her to go into a down or sit on her contact to get her to use her rear also. Since it will help even out the impact.

Any thought or suggestions?!

I've been reading lately that having the dog do backing helps build hind end awareness and use. I certainly have Dean do a lot of backing, and he does seem to have a great sense of using his back legs.

Personally, I don't think I'd go for a sit or down on the contact to try to encourage back end use.

I might do exercises where I have the dog back onto a slightly tilted board (from the ground onto the board and back "up" the board a little), hold the position for a few seconds, and then release into the contact position. I wouldn't do that on an actual contact piece - except maybe a very, very low A-Frame. I'd use a large, stable board, that was tilted at about 10 degrees from the ground and gradually raise it to about 20 degrees.

Teaching the dog to back uphill is supposed to be good, too.

I would just keep backing exercises short and be careful not to overdo.

LOL I was thinking of teaching her that as a trick. I saw a border collie at a trial back up into a chair. It was sooo cute! Cressa does know back-up: standing and in a bow. Can start working on backing up onto something...(LOL I not counting contacts as something she needs to learn how to back up on since I rather not get DQ)

SSC