BC Boards

BORDER COLLIE TRAITS

HAHA!

Daisy WILL NOT go to the bathroom in wet grass. How silly is that?! She looks at you like you're mad for even thinking about it! Of course, when it's been raining for the entire day she has to suck it up, but the ears are down and she has this sulky look on her face. It's really sad.

She also hits the ground like a sack of hammers when she lies down and tromps through the house like herd of wild horses, unless of course she's getting into trouble, then you don't even hear her tags jingle.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bess does most of those things, and gets my attention by poking me with her nose. I remember once she didn't do something and thought I should notice (I guess she wanted her atta girl) and so she poked me in the back of the leg with her nose and went and laid down, but was sure I noticed she had been a good girl and didn't do the thing she wasn't supposed to do. I really need to find a doggy cop badge & hat for this gal, she is definately into justice and fairness...boy howdy, let a cat get on the furniture and all hell breaks loose. If she can't get up, then they can't either! Rules are rules after all... LOL.

Wait a minute...Errol... you get to go to the Loo without all the hysterical barking, door scratching, and in general "how could you not let me supervise that activity" commotion? NOw I cry not fair, not fair!

both my girls do the curl paw thing lol. when Happy wants something she will get really pushy to get it, so for example she was with me at my friends apartment, my friend and I ran down to the cornor store and Left Happy in the apartment with her sleeping roommate..when we got back her roommate was no longer sleeping..he said she piled a bunch of stuff in front of him while repeatedly slapping him in the face :rolleyes:

I have also noticed a moderating tendancy, only my BCs do this, but they will moderate fights, so if Misty is being b*tchy, Happy will march in and nail her..nevermend that Happy is at the very bottom of the pack and Misty is the top dog. it goes the other way too, if Happy is getting snarky with a dog that is being no threat to her, Misty will walk in between and tell Happy a thing or two. I have seen Happy go so far as breaking up fights, litterly jumping into an unwarranted fight, grabbing the offending dog by the scruff, yanking them away and placing herself in the middle never taking her eye off the offender.

Our Josie does the "cupped paw thing" which we find so cute.

She also pokes or taps us with her nose when she wants our attention or is trying to get us moving faster.

When we are in separate rooms in our home she will position herself in between the two rooms or in a hallway....so she can keep an "eye" on us and be aware if either one should move.

When someone comes in the house she will go to her toy basket and drag out a number of toys to "show-off" with and if she REALLY likes the person she will take the toys to them.

She also does the "curl into a tiny ball" thing sometimes when sleeping.

When we go walking and she has to go potty she will pick a tall group of weeds to poop on.....this is something she does consistently for some reason.

She also does the laying on her back and tossing toys like a cat.

I also get a feeling that she can "read me"......what I am planning to do, how I am feeling emotionally and lets us know when it is time to feed her.

When we are in separate rooms in our home she will position herself in between the two rooms or in a hallway....so she can keep an "eye" on us and be aware if either one should move.

Yess! Scooter does that too. I had a feeling that's why he was doing it. Plus, when he lays in the foyer, he can keep an eye on all three entrances to the house! :rolleyes:

Does anybody else's BC look at you for a moment before eating a meal? Zimba does this and it's like he's thanking me for the food. My old dog used to do it every time I filled up his water bowl. It's very cute. :rolleyes:

Scooter is the "Purity Patrol" in our house! Whenever anyone swears, he races up to them, gives them "the look", jumps on them and barks!! I don't think it's the tone of voice either-- sometimes it's just the casual "damn" when playing cards and getting a bad hand! LOL! :rolleyes:

He also does the room check several times during the evening, wandering in and out to see where everyone is and if anything interesting is going on.

When the phone rings, his head snaps and ears perk up, and he comes running to me with a look that says, "Phone!! Aren't you going to get that?!"

He has a thing for t.v. Or rather, the remote. If he wants the t.v. on, he looks at the remote, then at us, repeatedly till we either turn it on or tell him "No t.v." at which point he walks away. If he's tired of us watching t.v. and wants to play, he does the same thing!

My husband is a chocoholic but Scooter has learned the phrase, "Chocolate. Not for Scooter." When he hears the word "chocolate" now, he just turns and walks away--we don't even have to add "Not for Scooter." :D

We speak to him in full sentences and he understands concepts like, "go the other way," if he's trying to retrieve a ball in a tight space. He knows "upstairs" and "downstairs" and the names and locations of all the rooms of the house--handy when he's searching for his favorite toy. When playing Frisbee or ball, he'll sometimes bring the item back and drop it behind me. I tell him "You get it" and he does. When I don't want to play any more, I just tell him "You play," and he goes off on his own. Word recognition, as most people have mentioned, is unbelievable sometimes. I don't know why, but he still surprises us with what he knows and how fast he learns. He's such a joy! :D

Keva always follows me to the bathroom and lay's there untill I come out. Go figure,

LOL! If we don't shut the bathroom door completely, Scooter will nudge it with his nose, open it, and walk off. (I think I've noticed him laughing as he walks away!) :rolleyes:

I got Brody before I was married when my, now husband, were in a bit of a "break" period. We got back together and he sees this hairy dog (smooth coat but a shedder) and cringes. Long story short.....My now husband LOVES Brody to death and vice versa.

Brody moans & groans and talks to us so much it's hilarious.

He also spoons with the cat, cups things with paw (including us if we try to move) and the BEST thing is that he hugs us. We LOVE it!

post-8009-1222797133_thumb.jpg

I forgot stuffing their head through the crook of your arm. The dogs at the rescue do it while I'm trying to type but, my old dog did it to the point I had to put my arms behind my back when play time was over. He'd shove his head through either direction to get your attention.

Wait and I forgot the most annoying trait having to see what you are doing to the point of being right in the way. Example there is something stuck in the back of someone crate so I crawl in on my hands and knees only to be joined by at least 3 other dogs under my arms of course and one hopping up on my back. Yes i'm really a jungle gym. :rolleyes:

Its good to know that some of the crazy things my pup does is common. He does something though, that I'm not sure if its common, or if something is wrong with him. He will chew on his paws. He will stick his whole foot in his mouth and knaw on it like a chicken wing. I've tried to check his paws for things that might be bothering him and I've been unable to find anything. I thought it might be related to teething, but he's cut all his new teeth. Its usually only the back paws. Is this a common characteristic or should I take him to the vet?

Don't forget to add:

1. Sounds like a thundering herd of elephants when he runs.

2. Sounds like a falling sack of rocks when he lies down.

3. Thinks he is missing something fantastic if the bathroom door is closed.

4. Tries to herd cats and squirrels (with limited success).

Don't forget to add:

Haha! Mine does all of that...and also chases birds as they fly and barks at them in trees.

Also, one day she was standing in front of the sink barking up at the area above the sink. I thought she was barking at the empty paper towel holder, so I took it down to show her. She stopped barking for a few minutes, but then started up again. She was barking in a different direction now. There was nothing there, but she seemed very focused. Honestly, it went through my mind that she could "see dead people" and was barking at a ghost. :rolleyes: Then I looked up and saw a large, green beetle walking across the edge of my wall and ceiling! So don't forget to add:

5. Barks at and chases bugs. :D

Don't forget to add:

I'd like to add:

1. He jumps/bounces/leaps OFTEN when running while playing. Like a bunny.

2. Moans, groans more than *any* dog I have *ever* met in my life (squish him, he lays down, he stretches, ect ect). He's only a year too!

3. Any door, no matter the size of the crack, can and WILL be opened to let him slide in. Have a look around and depart. Check all doors in house periodically.

4. SLAM his body against a door when he wants in our out. + groan.

5. Running around and to the side of me....sometimes behind when I tell him to come.

6. Prances when happy and cleans his face like a cat.

7. Talking to me when I get home or ask him if he wants a treat.

8. Trying to "gather" small animals together.

Its good to know that some of the crazy things my pup does is common. He does something though, that I'm not sure if its common, or if something is wrong with him. He will chew on his paws. He will stick his whole foot in his mouth and knaw on it like a chicken wing. I've tried to check his paws for things that might be bothering him and I've been unable to find anything. I thought it might be related to teething, but he's cut all his new teeth. Its usually only the back paws. Is this a common characteristic or should I take him to the vet?

You could have him checked out, just to be sure, but Scooter has been doing that since he was a pup too--he'll be four years old in December! :rolleyes: Nothing wrong with the paws--maybe it's like kids who suck their thumbs (if dogs had thumbs!) LOL! You describe it perfectly by the way. :D

Ok ..... Gunny's trait is while my husband and I are in bed she will climb up lay on top of us and then do a little head tilted smiley!

Cap is looking for rabbits when he should be herding sheep!

Sweep the broom is using spoons as chew toys!

Whenever Brody scratches himself with a back foot, he'll end up biting/chewing on that foot. He's never hurt himself and it's mostly funny.

post-8009-1222874480_thumb.jpg

My two both hold toys/bones with their paws and use them like hands to 'touch' things.

They both curl up in nose to tail balls.

Both lay on their back with all four feet in the air.

Both will park their as* on anything at butt height - like steps, cushions or the low shelf under the aquarium.

Both understand sentences (eg if the word 'car' is mentioned, Trinity (who hates the car) goes into hiding and Taj runs to the front door (loves the car).

Both dogs give us 'stupid human' looks if they think we have done something stupid

Both will throw toys at us with incredible accuracy.

Both grumble and groan if we don't catch said thrown toy (again its the 'stupid human'

attitude).

I taught Taj to ring some bells on the back door when he wants to go out. Trinity does it now, but I never taught her.

LOL I could go on all night about the amazing things these dogs do, but its midnight and I am really tired:)

Haha! Mine does all of that...and also chases birds as they fly and barks at them in trees.

Also, one day she was standing in front of the sink barking up at the area above the sink. I thought she was barking at the empty paper towel holder, so I took it down to show her. She stopped barking for a few minutes, but then started up again. She was barking in a different direction now. There was nothing there, but she seemed very focused. Honestly, it went through my mind that she could "see dead people" and was barking at a ghost. :rolleyes: Then I looked up and saw a large, green beetle walking across the edge of my wall and ceiling! So don't forget to add:

That's too funny I declared all the dogs at the rescue down right crazy, when out from under my dads truck rolled a baby possum stuck in a wendy's shake cup. I was even brave enough to set him free.lol

Then I looked up and saw a large, green beetle walking across the edge of my wall and ceiling! So don't forget to add:

Ah, yes!

Forgot to about that one: Suka, the BC Flytrap. :rolleyes:

And I mean, she's fast! She'll be sitting there, minding her business, then her head will snap around, and >|CLACK|< - one less flying nuisance, as her jaws snap shut. Not even snakes move that quick (and yes, I've seen and handled plenty of snakes, and experienced their strikes!) - She's incredible.

I’m going to write a book: How To Do 101 Things While Playing Ball With Your Border Collie.

Since I got my border collie I have learned to throw a ball while:

Cooking dinner

Typing on the computer

Watching TV

Relaxing in bed

Talking to someone

Sweeping the carpet

Loading the washing machine

Folding clothes

Putting clothes away…

get my drift?

:rolleyes: