BC Boards

Safe confinement for a confinement-phobic dog?

MaryP

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up an adorable little tri-color male bc from a shelter. He's a perfect little (30 lb/13.6 kg) bc in almost every way, except one. He refuses to be confined. After his bath yesterday, my bf put him in a crate in the house for a few minutes while he did some stuff outside. I had to go out to run a few errands. Within about a minute, Rudy had destroyed the crate and my bf had to disassemble it to get him out. It was a cheapo wire crate that already had some previous damage and Rudy had pulled in and bent the door and broken some wires. So, next we tried an x-pen. Rudy was fine in the x-pen with his toys and bones, but the x-pen is not very tall and he just jumped over it and made himself at home on the couch. This was not too big of a deal, since Rudy was not destructive in any way; he just didn't want to be confined. So, we have just been leaving him out. He's fine with that and is quite well-behaved. Rudy is in quarantine at my bf's house right now until we can be sure that he is not incubating anything bad from the shelter. Once he's cleared, he'll move to my house.

Today, my bf had to mow his lawn, so he let Rudy out in the yard with him while he did that (I was away doing a home visit). Well, Rudy tried to attack the lawn mower, so Steve put him inside. Rudy then attacked and damaged the blinds. So, Steve brought him back outside and just tried to tie him up where he couldn't get at the lawn mower. Rudy immediately chewed through his leash and was back at Steve's side. So, Steve decided to try to confine Rudy to the bathroom. He told me that he went back in 10 minutes later and Rudy was standing on the vanity; he had pulled everything off the shelves, shredded the garbage and pulled down the shower curtain.

So, my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can safely confine this dog? He obviously freaks out when we try to confine him in a crate or a room, but I need some way to make sure that he is safe when we are not there. He will eventually come to my house and he will need to be confined in some way because I can't trust him loose with Skittles. I don't think that Rudy has separation anxiety issues, since he can be left home alone in the house without causing any damage. I just think that he has issues with confinement, period. Other than that, he's an awsome little dog!

This is Rudy . . .

Rudy1.jpg

Sounds like MOST of my nuckleheads! I've got one who is now loose in the house with everyone else put away because he ripped his face apart trying to get out of crates. Imagine an 11 yr old who has been crated trained since day one!!!! A padded cell maybe?

I have another one who can chew through a 2x4 in a matter of minutes! I'd really like to have chain link runs IN the house!!! But Rueben would freak out with those too! I'll have to find the pic. I took of him after one of his episodes.

I'd LOVE to hear suggestions!

Cute dog. We have at least 2 dogs that mom's kept like that and I will tell you that any wire crate no matter how sturdy will be broken. You can use a real for airline airline crate and it will likely hold but, anything that is inside or nearby will be shreded.

Dave has smashed out 2 dbl hung windows and broken the back door open. Dave's a bit complicated as he also has noise phobia and an extreme need to flee with loud noise. Prozac is helping some but, he has to go everywhere with my mom.

Frodo is the shredder he's totalled 3 regular crates wire, normal plastic and Ruined his any 2 other dogs travel cloth crates on a trip. I guess it wasnt enough that he was free. He's fine at home loose unless he decides to do damage and then he will clear moms dining room table shred the documents.

These are both sweet dogs and we manange them and love them but, there are days. Oh and Dave's at least 6 if not more so age wont help him either.lol

Would a baby gate work? It's far less confining than being closed in a room since they can still see out. Jill can jump them with no problem so I fixed that by hanging a tensioned shower curtain rod a couple feet above the gate and clothes pinning a towl over the rod so it meets the top of the gate. This makes the height of the gate seem too tall to jump.

Mary, how about a basket muzzle and an airline crate. With the muzzle the plastic one may be safe, he won't rip teeth out with it and he can still breath and drink through it.

Karen

I was about to try an airline crate, but decided against it because I was afraid that if he truly is claustrophobic (I assume dogs can be claustrophobic, too), then I'd be afraid that he might really freak out.

I've thought about baby gates, too, and that's probably what we'll try next. I like the curtain rod idea. My baby gate is pretty tall - 4 feet, I think - but my guess is this guy could get over that, if he really wanted to. The only place that I could put him, though, is one of the bathrooms and they are pretty small. But, maybe if he can look out, it won't be so bad.

It's going to be pretty important that he is safely confined when we're at work once he comes to my house. If he manages to get out and get into the same living space as Skittles, there may be a blood bath. I've had a couple foster dogs escape in the past, but they had been around long enough by then for Skittles to have accepted them. Skittles treats foster dogs like they are pledges to a fraternity. There is some hazing in the beginning and various tests that the fosters must pass before Skittles accepts them as new house guests.

Sounds like the confinement to him is paramount to abandonment and/or torture... :rolleyes: If you set up some babygates in order to keep him in place, can someone be in there with him to (i) calm him (ii) watch his reaction (iii) de-sensitize with treats and play? Maybe its something that needs to happen gradually with lots of encouragement for him to accept it.

Just my shot in the dark ... I'm sure I'm saying the obvious here to someone far more experienced with new charges than I :D

Ailsa

He would probably just dig under that. It sounds like separation anxiety to me.

I don't think so, Sandy, because he can be left home alone in the house without causing too much trouble, other than taking the occasional item off a table or counter top. I would think that if it were true SA, then he would be destructive whenever left alone, whether confined or not.

Mary, check Craig's List for your area, I saw one of those listed on there here in Sarasota last week. A feed store/farm supply might be a good place to look for a decent price too.

I can sympathize with your problem, we had a girl that couldn't be confined, it could be a real problem.

Suzanne

I've dealt with a few adult BC's with this issue, in each instance, while I had a day to dedicate to them and I was here I put them in an Airline crate (that's all we use) and made their life miserable when they engaged in undesirable behaivor when they were in the crate, I would put them in the bedroom in the crate while I worked around the house. In all the cases the dogs were adults that had never been trained to have proper crate manners, or had never been crated. One had a history of chewing through doors, one would destroy the house and eat everything, the third would mark all over and the latest had been crated before she got here but had been allowed to bark and tear at the crate with her claws and teeth, she also thought it was fun to strip the bed and shred the sheets. All four went through the same process of being placed in a crate while I was home here and if they did anything but lay quiet I gave them attention, and not good attention. All four eventually submitted to their confinement (usually in one day), now they crate up willingly, even crating on their own. In addition all four no longer exhibit their other bad behaivors around the house.

Deb

I've told myself that someday I'm going to own one of these:

ZW179_600X600.JPG

It keeps not happening, mostly because I don't have the rescue volume anymore to justify it. Plus I rarely need to leave rescues restrained for long any more.

It's not $500 at least! Although, once you factor in shipping. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine made extremely safe and secure crates/small kennels from agricultural liquid transfer tank frames. I can't find a picture of one of these for some reason. There's a big hole in the back she had to fill in with hog panel (and a barrel to expand the lounging space), and in the front she put another piece of hog panel for the door.

I've only had a couple of really bad SA dogs like this in my entire career. Good luck!

P.S. If your BF is that helpful and understanding, I'd say he's a keeper! :rolleyes:

J.

He is. He has put up with so much in support of my rescue efforts and has never complained, though he does get grumpy sometimes. :D He has also fallen pretty hard for a few of the dogs. I can always tell when he likes a dog because he offers to go on the home visit with me. :D

Becca, I'd be afraid I'd come home to a dog with no teeth left, if I had that crate!

Unfortunately, gradual is not something that I have time for. :rolleyes:

I've decided that this is what I really need. Now, does someone have about $500 they could give me? :D

Regarding the chain link kennel in the link, I have 3 new ones still in the boxes in the garage, we can make you a deal on one (7.5 x 7.5 x 4), you gotta figure out how to get it to you the box weighs just under 100 lbs. We purchased 7 of them, we set up 4 that we are using. We don't have the sunshades, but I think a dog that wanted out would rip the shade up. Three of our 6 foot tall runs are capped with chain link, I had on dog here hanging from the chainlink top like a monkey trying to escape.

Deb

Thats a tough one Mary, I dont envy your position. I have a 110lb GSD that wont be caged either. There is NO limit to what he will do to get to where ever I am if he is kenneled, crated, in the house or yard. That includes going through windows, taking off screen doors and pulling apart the strongest gage wire kennels. Im waiting for the circus to come to town so I can talk them out of a lion cage. He is almost 9yrs now, Ive learned to live with it, and either leave him in my truck, (for some odd reason he is happy there) or he has a sitter that watches him when I cant take him with me. Luckliy, he is a pillar of manners and is well behaved and welcome most any where I take him.

I like that cage Becca put up, but he'd find a way out of it too, or die trying. You'd be surprised the lengths he has gone to to get out of what ever and where ever I have put him. He has even gone through double paned glass windows and come through with only a small cut on his foot. Where theres a will, theres a way. Its been my experience with him, that I just do what I can as long as I dont have to lock him up. The only time I can safely leave him home is when some one is home with him. He will stay with some one else, but if no one is home, he wont stay confined.

Just a word of caution--a determined dog can just as easily destroy a chain link kennel, especially the less expensive ones.

P.S. If your BF is that helpful and understanding, I'd say he's a keeper! :rolleyes:

J.

I put up a chain link gate in my HOUSE to keep Rueben from "fence fighting" through the door where Doc and Hope live. I came home the first day to a huge hole in it!!!!!!

A friend of mine made extremely safe and secure crates/small kennels from agricultural liquid transfer tank frames. I can't find a picture of one of these for some reason. There's a big hole in the back she had to fill in with hog panel (and a barrel to expand the lounging space), and in the front she put another piece of hog panel for the door.

I'm very interested in what this is. Any more info?

L

Did you try crating him in a car? We had a dog in rescue that could not be crated in the house, but did ok when he was left in a crate in the car. Not that it would solve all of your problems, Mary, but your boyfriend could at least get his lawn mowed.

Just a word of caution--a determined dog can just as easily destroy a chain link kennel, especially the less expensive ones.
Tru, dat.

We had a Belgian Shepherd Military Working Dog at NAVSTA Philly who would literally eat her way through chainlink. She got a special run, a lot like these commercial products, but with the isolation panels at the bottom, and heavier welded wire fabric as the barrier.