BC Boards

Is anyone elses dog still shedding?

Sheryl, I don't think mine are shedding. I think they are importing hair from somewhere! Cuz, for the amount I have combed, brushed, and raked off them and swept out of my house, they should all be bald!!!!!

Notice at our house: Pet hair is a condiment here!

Linda, I absolutly love your notice about dog hair as a condiment! :rolleyes:

My dog just started shedding about 2-3 weeks ago, and I wonder if it's something to do with him getting his "adult" coat. He's 9 month, and before this, I don't remember having a hairy problem! But now, man...it's everywhere, in our bed, in our food.

I switched him to California Natural Lamb & Rice about the same time, but I don't think that's to blame, he's actualy enjoying dog food for the first time and his tummy is so much better on this brand.

I think is just him getting close to adult age, isn't it?! I hope is not the food, I'm just thrilled I found it!

Sara sheds year round. Her shedding has done better since she started EVO but I still use a rake on her undercoat once a week and get tons of hair. I brush her every other day and still her dog hair is a condiment in my house! My other 3 dogs shed very little, thank goodness.

I have hard wood floors, if I dont vacuum EVERY day at least once, my floors look like I have sparce shag carpet, its crazy. Riven is shaved and sheds more than any dog I've seen in my entire life!! I brush and comb her and nothing comes out, but she sheds all over from somewhere. I cant believe she isnt bald yet.

Oh, please don't tell me George is never going to stop shedding. It is awful. The fish oil is making his coat very shiny but has had no effect on his shedding. He has shed since I brought him home last fall. I can clean and as I look behind me there are fur balls rolling down the stairs again. So there is nothing we can do?

Toni

LOL Thanks ya'll made me feel good. Sam is still shedding too. Anyone got a spinning wheel? I think we all could send enough doggie hair to make plenty of blankets for the winter. It is so bad around here I'm left scratching my head wondering why they are not bald. My vaccum cleaner stays full of hair sometimes to the point it clogs. First night of camping we had a bad storm so we put the dogs in with us for just that night. We were constantly for the next 3 days removing dog hairs from food etc.

The only thing I can think to do is shave them. But that would expose them to sunburn, skitters, flies and embarassment. I've seen a golden shaved not a pretty site but fortunately he wasn't shaved to the skin but still strange looking. Course with is heat wave, I'm tempted. ~ My A/C is on the fritz.

Linda do you mind if I use your notice about dog hair? Too funny.

My girls drop hair everyday even though they are brushed everyday. I don't know where it all comes from, they should be bald by now.

What is the length of your rough coat? Zoe's coat is about 2 to 3 inches long but Ari's is 5 to 6 inches. I haven't seen another BC with a coat as long as Ari's.

2 words for you:

Fur. Everywhere.

When she gets scared, it is like she explodes hair. It just comes out everywhere! :rolleyes: When she isn't scared, it still comes out during playing, petting, eating.... :D

Maybe it isn't quite that bad. But she is still shedding.

Do rough coats just keep shedding?
Do they ever stop? I have had Annie for 2 years, and have been grooming her since she was about 8 months old. Every day, I groom her with an undercoat rake, then with a grooming tool. I get plenty of fur every day, although there seems to be a bit more in late Spring and early Summer. Despite daily grooming, we are continuously sweeping up dog hair on hard floors and vacuuming it out of carpets. I believe that Border Collies actually generate more usable hair for clothing than the sheep they are supposed to herd. (Hummm...I wonder how hard it is to shear a BC?)

I believe that Border Collies actually generate more usable hair for clothing than the sheep they are supposed to herd.
:rolleyes::D:D

Missy is shedding now, but it is not a constant thing. She sheds a couple times a year for several weeks, and in between I can brush her once a week and get less than a brush full of hair. Even my boss (who has a poodle so she doesn't have to deal with dog hair) comments on the fact that Miss hardly sheds.

I'm a little surprised that people think dogs stop shedding... Maybe it's all the hype about dogs that actually 'blow' their coats twice a year - now that's some shedding (think Siberian Husky).

Other then like poodles, all dogs shed all year. Humans shed all year too, think of all the hairs that come off your head while you shampoo.

The best thing to do is keep your dog well groomed (ie. the Furminator!!) to keep shedding down to a minimum. It's really helped and I actually now pet my GSD/Chow more often when I wear dark colors :rolleyes:

IMO, I think GSDs shed the MOST on a daily basis.

I used to think Kessie didn't shed much, but she was just shedding quietly and this place is a mess anyway so it wasn't very obvious.

Then I looked after Timmy for a while (he's a GSD and he SHEDS :eek: - he's one big hairball!) and I happened to use his undercoat rake on Kessie - and big clumps of undercoat started appearing! :eek: I can't imagine where they come from, she doesn't seem to have that much hair :confused:

Of course I bought her the same type of undercoat rake, and now we steadily produce warm black wool.

I don't understand why she finds it neccessary to grow that much undercoat when it's about as hot as it's ever been here. Even if you carry a handful of the stuff around you can feel your hand getting too warm pretty soon.

Al you have to do is wear black and white clothes , and have black and white sofas and cushions and carpets and car seats ; with a bit of luck the right colour will stick to the right colour ...

I have stopped worrying , and I just know there's some in the preserves I made before she was born , and some in the tooth paste I bought from the drugstore yesterday :rolleyes:

Sitka is our top shedder! She sheds in clumps. She looks like an african lion or some wild cousin with these big clumps of super fine hair all over her body! Mirra... sheds in clumps to but not nearly as often. Phoenix, just plain sheds. I comb and get enough to "generate another BC"! It's August for heavensake, by the time they get rid of this coat, they will already be growing the new one!!!

As if 3 inside, shedding dogs is not enough... I have a molting bird (feathers everywhere) and 2 indoor bunnies who are shedding too!

I agree with Linda... critter hair is a condiment in our home too (good fiber!!!)... we eat, drink and breath fur!!! hmmmm, I spect one of these days when I get that uncontrollable "tickel cough" in my throat, Ill make like a cat and cough up a fur ball complete with little blue feathers L O L!!!! eeeew excuse me for being soooo grosssssss !

Dals coat is long at the top it's 6 inches I think. His hair is alot like human hair. His tail drags the ground. I think that's why people often don't believe he's a bc at first.

Maddie is shedding when I brush her with the furminator but, we are all expecting a medium coat. XX fingers

Dublin only blows his coat once or twice a year. I can always get a bunch of fur when I brush him but he doesn't cover the floor with it except during the times when he blows coat. As he has a very long coat, I am grateful for this!

Now my 3 long-haired cats on the other hand....

Ha! You can tell how much I know - I had to Google the "furminator"!

6' coat? Oh yeah, Buddy had that easy. Marzipan is a little better, but she can still toss out some hair. Buddy wins - paws down - he stands up and moves and inch and there is hair in the air everywhere. We sit on the floor too - can't remember the last time I used the couch - so we get hair in everything...drink, food, eyes, mouth. There is a certain time of the year when I just give up. (from March - October acutally!)

Denise